PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used just a mixer?

JDPstudios
09-25-2012, 02:35 AM
Excuse me if this is in the wrong section, but it does fit in multiple categories.

Background: One of my DJ friends said that I shouldn't get a controller because I wouldn't want to migrate to club standard gear in the future. However, CDJs are way out of budget for me.

I am considering buying a controller, ($600 tops) but I am also considering buying just a (hopefully 4 channel) DJ mixer and just using that in conjuction with traktor to practice. It would be cheaper ($300 tops hopefully) but I would have to use the computer or my ipad for everything else.

Has anyone else done this? I just want to know if it's doable/not a horrible plan.

Thanks

djmickyk
09-25-2012, 03:41 AM
http://www.numark.com/product/mixtrackpro for the money you wont get any better than this and usually comes bundled with traktor software,you can pick this up on amazon for under $200.:)

James Martin
09-25-2012, 05:49 AM
It's a great option with mobile DJ's, I would suggest the Behringer Ddm4000 mixer, it's a 4 channel mixer with built in effects, you can purchase for around 250-350, and the Traktor X1 for transport control @ 199. Then you can have room for CDJ's down the line.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

KLH
09-25-2012, 06:14 AM
You can also use a controller to feed a mixer. You can then do the mixing on the mixer and loops/cues on the controller.

The only downside is that you'll have to record from the mixer into another app instead of recording internally within the DJ app.

-KLH

ReelDiel
09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
buy an mc6000 and be done with it best fo both worlds.

mufutau55
09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Yeah! Why not just buy a Denon DN-MC6000 and you have the top controller a with analog Mixer, it has a 4 channels, and you could use two for DJ Software and other two for other inputs or just use all the 4 channels for DJ software.. I have exact same configuration, two channels to Traktor Pro / VDJ Pro 7.x and with two CD-Decks hooked-up to the other 2 channels.

Mufutau

JDPstudios
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think that the DDM4000 or the MC6000 will suit me, but I wasn't really looking specifically for gear recommendations in this thread. I wanted to hear from people who have been in the same situation as me and how using a mixer with software worked out for them.

contra
09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Excuse me if this is in the wrong section, but it does fit in multiple categories.

Background: One of my DJ friends said that I shouldn't get a controller because I wouldn't want to migrate to club standard gear in the future. However, CDJs are way out of budget for me.

I am considering buying a controller, ($600 tops) but I am also considering buying just a (hopefully 4 channel) DJ mixer and just using that in conjuction with traktor to practice. It would be cheaper ($300 tops hopefully) but I would have to use the computer or my ipad for everything else.

Has anyone else done this? I just want to know if it's doable/not a horrible plan.

Thanks

Dude, I can help you out here!! Yes, I have played with just a mixer. For learning, it is a good idea because if you're just learning, you aren't going to use cues, loops, or effects. Really, as a beginner all you need to do is use the mouse button for play/pause. The one thing you NEED though is a soundcard. You can't just use a mixer unless it has a built in card. If you're going to use Traktor, I'd have to recommend a used Audio8. Using kijiji I got a used Audio8 AND a DDM-4000 for a combined $400 which is in your budget. The good thing about the DDM is that you can actually midi map buttons on the mixer if you get a midi cable so you can control the transport functions too with just the one unit. Obviously you'll want to upgrade later but like I said, if you're just fucking around you don't need anything more.

JDPstudios
09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Dude, I can help you out here!! Yes, I have played with just a mixer. For learning, it is a good idea because if you're just learning, you aren't going to use cues, loops, or effects. Really, as a beginner all you need to do is use the mouse button for play/pause. The one thing you NEED though is a soundcard. You can't just use a mixer unless it has a built in card. If you're going to use Traktor, I'd have to recommend a used Audio8. Using kijiji I got a used Audio8 AND a DDM-4000 for a combined $400 which is in your budget. The good thing about the DDM is that you can actually midi map buttons on the mixer if you get a midi cable so you can control the transport functions too with just the one unit. Obviously you'll want to upgrade later but like I said, if you're just fucking around you don't need anything more.

Thanks, Solid advice. I already have a soundcard - M Audio Fast Track Pro

Also, you're saying that the DDM has midi in/out ports?

DJNR
09-25-2012, 01:51 PM
I played with my korg zero 4 and a laptop when I was just starting out.

Ocie
09-25-2012, 09:40 PM
i used my xone 22 and traktor with the audio 2 dj before i got my techs. i thought it was an ok starting point.

Andrew B
09-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Just get a controller. On a controller, you can learn everything you need to be able to perform on a club setup. With just a mixer, you would be SOL.

l0ckd0wn
09-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Just get a controller. On a controller, you can learn everything you need to be able to perform on a club setup. With just a mixer, you would be SOL.

This.

As a new DJ, you need to focus more on how to manipulate the music beyond hitting the sync button, and this is coming from someone who uses sync prolifically in my mixing now. I started out on 1200s + mixer, added a controller, picked up some CD players and then moved back to a controller. You want to learn the mechanics and work flow of mixing before you get technical with it as the basics already have a learning curve that will keep you busy for sometime. Picking up just a mixer will drive you to then pick up something for deck emulation and that can be as cheap as a $100 (Native Instruments X1) on up.

To go along with some others in the thread, my controller of choice is a Denon MC6000 for home/local play and I use a Stanton SCS3 system + NI Audio2 for events where my gear is going to get exposed to the elements. I also have a Korg Zero4 which was my soundcard for sometime when I was using the vinyl time code control in Traktor, but you still need some sort of deck emulation to control all the transport of the tracks you are mixing.

There is multiple ways to look at this, but if you are looking for an all in one, simple solution to get you started, I'd look into a controller with included audio interface (like the Denon), or an even simpler controller + small audio interface (like the NI Audio2 or 4).

punky
09-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Quoted for truth.

JDPstudios
09-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards the S4 due to the dedicated filter knobs, and more sampling capability...and I have big hands. I have heard bad things about the faders on the S4 though.