PDA

View Full Version : Effects while song transition

Baller95
09-22-2012, 12:17 PM
What effects do you guys like using which changing songs?? I'm really starting to like to the white noise sweep (lpf?) and echo!

JackStalk
09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Filter/fadeout is fun, dipping out track A and dipping into track B on adjacent bars. You can also use the Roll/cut/stutter effect to create your own buildup into the drop or breakdown of the next track.

alazydj
09-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I like echo outs and low-pass filter.

Baller95
09-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Phaser is pretty nice too.

DJArmani
09-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Filter/fadeout is fun, dipping out track A and dipping into track B on adjacent bars. You can also use the Roll/cut/stutter effect to create your own buildup into the drop or breakdown of the next track.

what do you mean by adjacent bars?

alazydj
09-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I've never been a fan of using phaser, flanger or other modulation during transitions. I rather have something that breaks the sound up or down, instead of just making it funky.

I like using those modulation effects during the track though, especially during a breakdown.

JackStalk
09-24-2012, 02:00 AM
what do you mean by adjacent bars?

Fading the vocals out on track A while fading in the vocals on track B and it sounds like the same song. This would be done with a Pioneer DJM series mixer on the 3/4 or 1 bar setting.

syks
09-24-2012, 05:17 AM
I hate using effects lol and only use them when im mixing if the mix starts to go out to hide it hahaaaa

Peace

ben mills
09-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I usually go for the Hype-Horn in a four blast burst...three short followed by one long!

TheRabbitMonk
09-28-2012, 01:12 PM
found a ace effect on serato a few days back. not even sure what it is.. it was like alt t. it would loop say 8 bars then reduce it to 4 then 2 then 1. sounded ace.
might be a roll? useless on the effects myself never use them at all.

DJ Nada
10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I use effects to cover up/save a poorly done transition. Don't really like using them too much.

Dave Daschofsky
10-16-2012, 11:12 PM
I just make sexual animal noises on the mic to keep people from noticing that I just switched songs.

myndgruv
10-17-2012, 04:25 PM
i dont use any when changing songs. Its covers up the mix and a lot of craptastic DJS us the flangers and what ever else to cover up shoty mixing.

Finnish_Fox
10-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I use effects to cover up/save a poorly done transition. Don't really like using them too much.

I just fix the glitch.

Sigma
10-17-2012, 06:39 PM
I like echo outs.....
Me too, mainly because it's something I could learn when I just had 2 decks and a mixer as it can be done manually. I like combining it with simple scratching too, like this: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/fadingtear.mp3

Transitions starts at 19 seconds in. The fading scratch is at 45 seconds.

A version done with an external fade effect added to a crab scratch: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/echofadecrab.mp3

Transition starts at 7 seconds in. Fading crab is at 23 seconds.

Era 7
10-18-2012, 06:59 AM
i hate using effects for transitions.

Baller95
10-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I just started using echo and lpf it's awesome!

Mixxed
10-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Fave is the Hold Echo out... I try not to use it too much, though.

Adzm00
10-19-2012, 09:20 AM
HPF

I quite like gate and reverb too.

BlueSwan
10-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Ideally, I like to have two tracks that sound good together play on top of each other for a while. Classic mixing really. I think effects should mainly be used when two tracks really don't sound naturally good together (being in incompatible kays, for instance).

Adzm00
10-22-2012, 06:16 AM
^^ Why have rules?

JamesRoss
10-22-2012, 07:53 PM
i used to use echo a lot. Or I would use a loop on a vocal line. I don't have my effects processors hooked up anymore.

AdrianR
10-23-2012, 05:08 AM
I hate how people go on about "Incompatible keys" and shit like that. If someone requests a song and you have to play it and can't find it to be 'in key' to the song before, what are you going to do? I understand what your saying about keeping 2 songs playing into one another for a long time, (my records 8 minutes) and yes, when it works it can work really, really, well, but I think a lot of people are trying to move the whole culture back to a more traditional take on music writing. It's not the same as traditional music. The same rules don't apply. I agree with Adzmoo. So many Dj's limit themselves to these kind of 'rules' assuming it will make them 'better' and 'more professional' when really it only demonstrates your ability to listen to those you would mimick.

I know nothing about notation and keys and shit. When I produce it's by trial and error, but I know at what time a song will go down perfect, and I mix it at that time and SOMETIMES, NOT making that mix a really awsome one is the best thing you can do for it. SOMETIMES, literally, just mixing out on the last beats, right at the end so its nothing but 2 beats, no keys etc is the best thing for it.

Shishdisma
10-31-2012, 12:19 AM
I hate how people go on about "Incompatible keys" and shit like that. If someone requests a song and you have to play it and can't find it to be 'in key' to the song before, what are you going to do? I understand what your saying about keeping 2 songs playing into one another for a long time, (my records 8 minutes) and yes, when it works it can work really, really, well, but I think a lot of people are trying to move the whole culture back to a more traditional take on music writing. It's not the same as traditional music. The same rules don't apply. I agree with Adzmoo. So many Dj's limit themselves to these kind of 'rules' assuming it will make them 'better' and 'more professional' when really it only demonstrates your ability to listen to those you would mimick.

I know nothing about notation and keys and shit. When I produce it's by trial and error, but I know at what time a song will go down perfect, and I mix it at that time and SOMETIMES, NOT making that mix a really awsome one is the best thing you can do for it. SOMETIMES, literally, just mixing out on the last beats, right at the end so its nothing but 2 beats, no keys etc is the best thing for it.

If you're taking requests, harmonic mixing is very far above your mixing environment.

People don't realize what "incompatible keys" actually means, and how atrocious two actively clashing melodies sounds. "Limiting yourself" to avoiding key clashes is like "limiting yourself" to bass-kills or not clipping. Pretty much nothing else you said made a damn bit of sense.

DjNeedleSharp
10-31-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't really mix I just fade in and out of 10+ minute epic prog and trance tracks till my set it over. Sometimes if I play trap of dub I just fader slam random tracks every 45 seconds. It sounds better if they are off beat/key/phrase. Love that shit.

I just make sexual animal noises on the mic to keep people from noticing that I just switched songs.
I spit my coffee all over my computer. Literally. Bastard...

Adzm00
11-05-2012, 11:34 AM
If you're taking requests, harmonic mixing is very far above your mixing environment.

People don't realize what "incompatible keys" actually means, and how atrocious two actively clashing melodies sounds. "Limiting yourself" to avoiding key clashes is like "limiting yourself" to bass-kills or not clipping. Pretty much nothing else you said made a damn bit of sense.

Your own skill and knowledge should be all you need to know what to and what not to mix together. If not then you are not doing your job properly.

KirkKenneth
11-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I connect the outro of the first track to the intro of the second track.