PDA

View Full Version : Denon DN-X1600 opinions?

bflat
02-13-2012, 10:08 PM
What's up, guys. Glad to see DJF is back!

Anyway, I've been using my PMC-05ProIII since like 2003, and I'm in the market for a new mixer. I've played on DJMs before and what not, but I'm looking to upgrade my mixer at home. I've gotten deeper into production more than DJing these days, but I want a club mixer to prepare for playing out more often. Anyway, I was going for a DJM 800, but for about the same price of a used 800, I saw that you can get a new 1600. Their layouts are very similar, so now I'm thinking of that.

Also, believe it or not, I've been making all of my music through the built-in sound on my MacBook Pro, so I think I'd benefit from the soundcard within the 1600, no? The midi functions look awesome, too, and I can see myself using them with my DAW if possible.

I'm a Serato user. I like Traktor, and I know the 1600 is TSP certified, but I'm used to Serato already, so the certification isn't much of a big deal to me.

I was also looking at the 05ProIV (so sexy), DJM T1 (new low price), and 57SL. I would prefer to have four channels however, because my home setup now consists of two extra computers as well as Serato and Techs.

One last thing: I don't scratch as much as I used to, but I still want a good fader. Just wanted to put that out there.

Any opinions on the matter? I don't want to go any higher than $1000 cause I'm a broke ass college student, as well.

DJ Watty
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Can't speak to the 1600 but I love my 1700

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.707790,-73.474240

Lost Connection
02-14-2012, 12:54 AM
I love my DN-X1600, but if you're not going to use TSP2 the Denon loses one of its biggest advantages, the built-in soundcard/audio interface as it is Traktor Scratch Certified.... It will work with VDJ too, but I don't know about Serato compatibility. I think I've seen somebody do it though. But still, the DN-X1600 is a great mixer.

Oh yeah, and the Midi functions are great. You can get very creative with those babies.

hoff
02-14-2012, 01:26 AM
It's a phenomenal mixer. Features, quality..everything. Faders are soo buttery too, mmmm. Definitely the best ~$1000 mixer out there right now.

Adzm00
02-14-2012, 05:52 AM
After having a DNX1500 for a number of years, and playing on many other mixers, I'd always opt for a Xone or DJM. Can't say I have used the DNX1600 though.

Chay
02-14-2012, 09:48 AM
There is a lot of value in the DN-X1600, like most are saying, build quality, sound quality and the cross/upfaders as well :D. However like what Lost Connection said, you'll lose a few extras with the DN-X1600 if you don't use Traktor (Such as MIDI controls) although you can always use it with Scratch Live using their sound card and control vinyl :)

bflat
02-14-2012, 10:29 AM
You'll lose a few extras with the DN-X1600 if you don't use Traktor (Such as MIDI controls) although you can always use it with Scratch Live using their sound card and control vinyl :)

I know, so I was hoping to use the sound card for production as well. Would that work or is it locked to TSP use only?

Chay
02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
I know, so I was hoping to use the sound card for production as well. Would that work or is it locked to TSP use only?

Traktor Scratch Pro only. You should be looking at dedicated sound cards for production though. The DN-X1600's sound card is only for Traktor... Although you can use it on a Windows based computer and use it as a separate sound card :o

DJ ATX
02-14-2012, 11:58 AM
I own the DNX1600 and love it. The soundcard is not only for Traktor, also works with Virtual DJ ;)

The MIDI capabilities of this mixer is miles away from the Pios. If you are going to be doing production, this may help you out as you can map every single thing on the mixer. Even has extra MIDI buttons. I use mine to manipulate video controls on VDJ. Flex Fader is awesome. I don't scratch myself, so I tend to adjust mine a bit tighter that how most people would like it. The effects comparable if not better.

Lost Connection
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
I own the DNX1600 and love it. The soundcard is not only for Traktor, also works with Virtual DJ ;)

yeah that's what I thought too, but TSP2 still rules in the world of DN-X1600 and it's Midi controls.

bflat
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Aw, there's no way to use the sound card as an output for a DAW? I've heard that you can record your sets and stuff by setting the 1600 as an input. Is that true at least?