PDA

View Full Version : 2 Technics SL-1200 MK2

G Cue
09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
So I saw an offer on craigslist for a pair of Technics 1200 that the guy bought in 1999. He had them offered for 320 a piece and I talked him down to $500 for the pair. Is this a good deal? Neither pop up lights work and he claims they were burnt out and haven't seen much time. Is this a good deal you think or should I continue to look around?

ben mills
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a pair of 1200s that needs work.

Lost Connection
09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Don't know exactly of about the prices, but if you are not 100% sure you can fix em pretty cheap, then talk the price even lower like ben said above. And 1999 is pretty old, so you might want to check 'em properly for other flaws.

Otherwise the Techs are the way to go, I love mine!

streetspirit
09-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Wow that's cheap. I was thinking of selling my "in almost perfect working condition" pair of 1200 MK5 for $800. I could probably get more you think?

Austin GoGreen
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
$500 is a deal, jump on it. Pop up lights are pretty useless anyways. You will later want to install a colored LED pop-up light... I just bought my second set with road ready flight cases for each deck, dicers, technics headshells/shure needles for $900. You're getting them for the going rate or perhaps a little below. I don't mind paying another DJ what they're worth. If pop-ups are the only thing wrong you need to jump on them ASAP

G Cue
09-21-2012, 01:10 PM
The problem is im not familiar with turn tables at all and don't know anyone who is. I just started djing a few months ago and use a NS7, but i want to add some technics and crates of vinyl and learn the real art of djing from beat matching with vinyl and what not.

ben mills
09-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Here's the thing - they're 13 years old (at least - you can determine the age via serial numbers...Google it).

The pop-up light is busted.

They probably won't come with dust covers (or they may be broken if they do).

The MKII is the inferior model by far.

$500 is not a good price. $500 would be a decent price for a pair of MKIIs in good working condition with minor cosmetic blemishes.

You can always find a pair of 1200s for $500 - so don't jump on this thinking it will be the only offer. I'm not saying don't buy it - but it's not a "great" deal, imo.

If the pitch is stable, and everything else works except the pop up lights, then I think offering $400 is fair. He may counter with $450 - and then it is kind of a coin flip, imo.

djlotus
09-21-2012, 01:48 PM
I agree with Ben 100%. Don't just buy them because they are the cheapest you have found.

Paulie65m
09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
If its just the pop up lights that are busted its really nothing, most important thing if the motor, tonearm, pitch and RCA wires are good.
Other then that pretty good deal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Panotaker
09-21-2012, 02:33 PM
How are they cosmetically? A pop up light is easy to fix and they burn out after a while on the mk2's. Scratches on the other hand, are a lot harder to fix since it involves repainting. Are the covers included and the hinges. How about the headshell, carts, or 45 rpm adapter. All those things cost money to replace if they are not included. $500 for the pair is a good deal depending on want part of the country you live in. Most people in the big cities are asking more than that for just one. Whether anybody is buying them for that much I don't know.

DJ Que Yi
09-21-2012, 02:33 PM
I bought my MKII's in 1990 when they were $500 a piece. Guess what my pop-up light was the first thing to go out many years later. But it's also the least used part of the turntable. I replaced my RCA cables a few years back. Other than that my 1200's have never failed me after many years of stuffing them in a hatchback with crates of wax and speakers with nothing but dust covers to protect them. Nowadays I keep them stored in Road Ready cases so no need for dust covers. The only thing that would deter me from buying them at the price you mentioned is if they were in poor physical and mechanical condition. If the only issue is a pop-up light then I would scoop them up in a heartbeat.
In terms of you wanting them to help you be a real DJ let me tell you that the NS7 in my opinion is the next best option over real turntables. I want a smaller setup as an option to not carrying my 1200's to gigs that don't warrant them. I've been looking at controllers for the portability. I've narrowed it down to the VCI 300MKII but I love the NS7 simply because it so close to analog turntables. Good luck with your decision.

DJdumbway
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
I just picked up a set of MK2s for $500, they came with an odyssey case. No head shells and they are missing the little drop arm things for the tone arms.. but I've never used those anyways. It was a decent price in my area.
The last pair I had, one of the motors was glitchy. Sold them for $500+ with a pair of tech headphones.
I'd say if it's a low price in your area, go look at them and make sure everything works correctly. See if they will go a little lower and snag them!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Drewbdo
09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
I purchased two MKII's for $650, plus $100 for a pair of flight cases about 6 months ago. They have been running $600-800/pair in my metropolitan area. One pop-up light was burned out, the other is fine. The pitches are in synch to each other, but are a little off at either end, and aren't really identical to each other at the ends.

I purchased another pair of MKII's for $600 with dust covers and USA electrical adapter plug thingies about 2 months ago. Cosmetically, they were in better condition than than the first pair.

I love them, but I use a Numark Mixtrack Pro for small or brief events... much lighter weight to tote. :lol:

VjQue
10-02-2012, 10:25 PM
grab them asap. I was going to pickup a pair the other day for $400 but the dude flaked on me. he was telling me he didnt really know about them. I was straight up with him saying hey you can get $800 for them why you only want $400 for the pair.

he was either playing games or trying to jack someone cause as I look on ebay and say a m5g he was selling for $600 it threw up a flag with him.

I call and texted him from where we were suppose to meet but he didnt return my calls or text.

djslik
10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Seriously I'm still rocking my tables at gigs that I bought brand new in 1998. I never use my popup lights so I could care less and they are still working actually. I need to calibrate or fix my pitch sliders, but that's gonna cost me $60 for both maybe. Don't let people tell you the MKII's aren't good enough, I can cut and scratch on them just as good as my M5G's. Are my M5G's better??? Yes, but the MKII is no slouch. And right now I can't even find tables for that price here period. Too many DJ's snatching up deals locally haha.

Joe.G
10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
I just got back in to the game, and I just bought a 1200 M3D and I am looking to get another 1200 Model doesn't matter I am looking at a MK2, That is a good deal for 2. Back in the 90's we were paying about $450 Each, and the price is still around that for nice examples.