PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything that is "bad" for CDJ's?

Hamish
09-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Firstly, hi.

I used to be on the forums, but then the meteorite struck, the world went black and no-one knows too much beyond that point. I blame Deadmau5.

Obviously: beer, any form of liquid, excessive heat, children, animals, drunk bishes, smoke, bashing the buttons too hard etc. are 'bad' for CDJs.

What I am asking is, are there any functions that can be performed by the CDJ that are particularly stressful to it and will shorten it's lifespan?

For example, many people agree that driving a car very short distances, frequently, is bad for the engine and will, over time, cause damage that would have been avoided had the engine been given time to warm up properly. You can do it, it is a 'function' of the car, but it's not a great idea if you want your car to last.

Second example, as we all know, Technics 1210's are an entirely indestructible object in our universe and should a WMD ever go off or Superman turn evil, your best bet for survival is to build a shelter out of old Tech's and hide under it, igloo style. However many people say that 'holding down' the platter, moving the pitch fader too fast on frequent occasion or even the act of scratching itself will prematurely burn out the motor.

So with CDJ's, are there any things they CAN do (including stutter effects, loops, etc.) but it's ill advised to do so?

(I own 850s and oft use 1000, 900 and 2000s if that's relevant)

thanks in advance :)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma6i4ukCdj1rgs7i8o1_500.jpg
(I goog'd "broken CDJs" and this pic appeared...)

DJ Nutty
09-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Not that I know of. Usually the only thing to fail on cdj's is the loading/eject mechanism. But that takes quite alot of use. If you're using USB's though, its of no concern.

Possibly unplugging the RCA cables at the back alot could possibly cause the connectors to fail. I think the link socket on the 2000 was a contentious fail issue.

Mahatma Coat
09-20-2012, 08:33 AM
You do realise that Google tailors your search results according to your previous search history?

Have you been Googling 'broken sixteen year olds' at any point?

Hamish
09-20-2012, 09:04 AM
You do realise that Google tailors your search results according to your previous search history?

Have you been Googling 'broken sixteen year olds' at any point?

Lol,

iirc it was pretty far down the goog page on someone's music based Tumblr. Besides, 16 yr olds with daddy issues, what's not to like? :P

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/431147/755084.png

drzinc
09-20-2012, 09:08 AM
This is bad for cdj's

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4l81mUtSJ1r1vfiko1_500.jpg

DJNR
09-20-2012, 10:01 AM
This is bad for cdj's

Yeah, they aren't fire proof.

Era 7
09-20-2012, 10:43 AM
This is bad for cdj's

the roof, the roof...

MouseAT
09-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Constant pressure on the jog wheels always used to be a problem for the older CDJ-800s and 1000s. It's why most flight cases have a gap in the padding directly above the platter. The constant pressure compacts the tiny springs underneath the surface of the jog wheel. Eventually it can lead to the jog wheel being constantly "pressed down", even when you're not touching it.

Routine use didn't seem to cause a problem - just don't leave heavy stuff sat on top of the jog wheel all the time.

JackStalk
09-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I've never had any issues with mine. Some guy sold me his cdj-1000mk3 really cheap because he said the beatmatching was off and it was a glitchy product. All it needed was a software update and was good as new. I had a friend with cdj-1000mk2s that has the issue MouseAT is talking about. When he switches to vinyl mode, the music just stops as if your hand was placed on the platter. He just uses them in CDJ mode and has no issue.

Era 7
09-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Constant pressure on the jog wheels always used to be a problem for the older CDJ-800s and 1000s. It's why most flight cases have a gap in the padding directly above the platter. The constant pressure compacts the tiny springs underneath the surface of the jog wheel. Eventually it can lead to the jog wheel being constantly "pressed down", even when you're not touching it.

Routine use didn't seem to cause a problem - just don't leave heavy stuff sat on top of the jog wheel all the time.

that's why it makes me mad when i see pictures with some cunt putting his macbook on a CDJ platter.

DTR
09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
I had a laser fail in my CDJ 800. Pioneer fixed it and sent a note back with it saying "Don't use CD-Rs, especially poor quality ones as the laser has to focus harder and it burns out the focus coils". Or something to that effect. I might still have the note at home, if I find it I'll post up the exact wording.

Andrew B
09-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Don't move them around with a CD inside. Don't place anything on top of the platter.

edit: And don't put sticky labels on CDs.

JackStalk
09-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Really? Don't use CDRs? Are they high?

I always make sure my CDJs are ejected and there is nothing inside them. That's almost common sense :D

Blueprint
09-23-2012, 12:11 PM
-If they are in a hot place, like a car, let them cool down before you start using them.
-Try to avoid smoking around them.
-Taiyo Yuden CDRs are preferred (as per DJ Pulse).

Era 7
09-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Really? Don't use CDRs? Are they high?

seriously...maybe if you only play originals but who does that?

MouseAT
09-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Taiyo Yuden CDRs are preferred (as per DJ Pulse).
That raises a good point. Cheap CDRs are often troublesome. Out of a typical cake tub of 100 cheap CDRs, I've generally found around 2 or 3 to fail to burn successfully. I can imagine CDJs having trouble reading some of those disks, particularly once the dyes start to deteriorate.

I've been using Taiyo Yudens for a while now on the rare occasions where I actually need to burn data to CD. Whilst I think they're probably somewhat overhyped (they seem to be held as god's gift to mankind on many internet forums), I've yet to see anyone have a bad thing to say about them, and I've yet to see one fail in any way. They're not that much more expensive than the cheap CDRs, and they seem to be a lot more reliable.