PDA

View Full Version : For any average DJ....

DJ BONES
09-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Who doesn't have time for advanced lighting, the 4bar is king.... I use the 4bar and 4play, set up time is minimal and coverage is great! I dont see why every DJ doesn't own one.. may seem like a dumb thread, but i wish someone would have made it this simple when i was light hunting instead of trying to convince my to fiddle with all this complicated dmx stuff..

DJzrule
09-20-2012, 08:09 AM
DMX isn't really all that complicated, its just a matter of addressing fixtures and moving faders, then saving the looks you want as scenes/chases.

DJ BONES
09-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Its too time consuming, especially for a full time DJ

fueledbymusic
09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
I just leave all my lights attached to the truss. As I did with a recent gig. Removed the 2 truss stands. Placed truss with lights still attached to it carefully with blankets etc. Set up took me 30 min. P.A and lights. I just simply remove one data cable from the light switch system.

Worked great for me.

Mystic
09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't own one because I like having a professional setup that doesn't use toys. :P

b.ill
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
No DMX for this average DJ either. I'm way too busy mixing to have any time to mess with it.

Newer LED's have such great built-in programs anyway. My lights are centered around four Hyper Gems run sound active master slave, and it's amazing how they sync to the beat and switch programs when they sense a changeup in the mix. It just blows me away when I watch videos of my club nights. With today's lights, I really don't know how important DMX is.

For the average DJ ;)

DJ Donnie Lewis
09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't own one because I like having a professional setup that doesn't use toys. :P

lol. Not to sound like a dick but they really do look like that

Synaxis
09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
I dont see why every DJ doesn't own one..

I prefer something more advanced and professional.

^^ This

If the 4Bar works for you, good, so be it. But if your going to start doing larger more elegant events, the 4Bar + 4Play combo just won't cut it.

No DMX for this average DJ either. I'm way too busy mixing to have any time to mess with it.

You don't have to play with DMX while your mixing. You create shows at home during your free time, and simply play them back later with the push of a button. Playing slow songs? Press the Show #4 button which has some soft fades? Dinner time? Hit the blackout button to turn everything off. It really doesn't/won't interfere with your mixing to press a button once in a while, especially since you are already doing that on your controller, mixer, ect...

DJ BONES
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
You really are giving the crowds too much credit... unless you specialize in providing light shows, these are perfect.. a huge truss system looks way better but something simple and neatly set up looks great in the dark

DJ BONES
09-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I think he means practicing at home...

b.ill
09-20-2012, 04:51 PM
You don't have to play with DMX while your mixing. You create shows at home during your free time, and simply play them back later with the push of a button. Playing slow songs? Press the Show #4 button which has some soft fades? Dinner time? Hit the blackout button to turn everything off. It really doesn't/won't interfere with your mixing to press a button once in a while, especially since you are already doing that on your controller, mixer, ect...
Well this average DJ is slugging it out in the types of clubs with no dinner sets or slow songs (except for one at the end to wind the crew down - at the request of the security team). It's just what I do...

My lights are synced to the beat and look great on their own. If I ever get a larger system I suppose I might look into DMX but for now we're good.