PDA

View Full Version : Mixing from USB

Kingbob182
02-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Why do other DJs think its strange when I turn up to a club with just 3 USB sticks? I play the same local places each week and all their systems take USB sticks. Ive got CDs in my car as well but why not use USB? I find it much more reliable than CDs though Ive never actually had an issue with either while ive been gigging.
Its so easy to scroll through artists rather than search through my cds. Plus Ive got all the rekordbox info on there for bpm as well as the key in the comments on each track.
If it's available, I think DJs are idiots not to take advantage of the USB option. But the look at me like im a fuckin leper when I turn up with sticks and headphones..

Do you mix on CDs or USBs when you're gigging? Why? Why not?

Djmike209
02-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Depending on BUS speed it might take a extra few seconds to load the tracks. Not a bad idea. Just remember Flash memory can be unreliable. I wont store your collection on a stick. Google it flash drives have a life expectancy.

DeadPhr0g
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Why do other DJs think its strange when I turn up to a club with just 3 USB sticks? I play the same local places each week and all their systems take USB sticks. Ive got CDs in my car as well but why not use USB? I find it much more reliable than CDs though Ive never actually had an issue with either while ive been gigging.
Its so easy to scroll through artists rather than search through my cds. Plus Ive got all the rekordbox info on there for bpm as well as the key in the comments on each track.
If it's available, I think DJs are idiots not to take advantage of the USB option. But the look at me like im a fuckin leper when I turn up with sticks and headphones..

They're just jealous of you not having to haul around and keep up with CDs/Vinyl. They are stubborn and their opinions should be of no value to you. That type of DJ failed to keep an open mind to the evolution of the trade. Unless it's someone mixing straight vinyl (no DVS), you should tell them to fuck off. The one's that still use nothing but Vinyl deserve the respect and acknowledgment because they are in fact working harder than you. The choice to use the media you desire is solely up to you. Anything technological will always have its fault, best way to deal with it is to expect it and be prepared for it.

thehadgi
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
You are in the wrong place if you are looking for validation for what you do. As you can see from other threads, your post will eventually turn into a 10 page thread where everyone has an opinion and things turn into a flame war. You already know that dj's have their own opinions on people who mix off memory sticks vs CDs vs vinyl, and the reasons people have them. Do whatever you want to do, and if you have specific questions on how to do them, feel free to ask, but don't come on here looking for validation that what you do requires skill because we don't need another thread dedicated to this

Kingbob182
02-13-2012, 08:23 PM
But is there any real downside? Everything has its faults I agree. but I dont see why my method is any worse than theirs. and more time to load tracks but I dont have to search for a certain CD/track number. And I always have CDs in my car in case the gear wont take USBs and I have 3 USBs all the same in case one fails. oh well, guess haters gonna hate

DeadPhr0g
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
haters gonna hate:tup:

Rothgery
02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
You are in the wrong place if you are looking for validation.... wah wah wah....

He posted a completely legitimate thread/question. If the forums discussions do not fall within your standards you can always go post elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to participate here.

the4thImpulse
02-13-2012, 09:06 PM

If I would use CDJ's that had the option to use usb's then I would fully take advatage of it, I like midi controllers though. It shouldn't matter what other dj's think as long as you put on a good show.

thehadgi
02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Alrighty

alazydj
02-13-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm actually looking to switch to the Rekord Box/CDJ side. I'd rather not bring my $1300 computer everywhere I go.

TocaTone
02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
As you can see from other threads, your post will eventually turn into a 10 page thread where everyone has an opinion and things turn into a flame war. You already know that dj's have their own opinions on people who mix off memory sticks vs CDs vs vinyl, and the reasons people have them

Comparing CDs or USBs is not the same as the CD vs. vinyl debate. He's asking a legitimate question whether there are any downsides to using USBs over CDs in his CDJs. If anything this should be moved to the turntables/cdj section.

To answer the question, I've been using CDJs + DJM 900 all linked together, using rekorbox on USBs. There is no reason to ever go back to CDs (although I keep a CD wallet with me at all times just in case). With the USBs, I can have multiple backups of my collection, don't have to spend precious mixing time flipping through CDs or deal with scratched discs.

I also get looks when I play out and go to the club with a just a pair of headphones and a few loose usbs in my pocket. Mostly it's "Dude where's your laptop? I thought you were a DJ." :face palm: Anyways, I've stopped putting peoples opinions before mine a long time ago so now I don't give a fuck what anyone (especially other DJs) thinks. I'd use two rubber chickens as my music source if I thought it was the best.

I also want to mention that I'm using the cheapest USBs you can find. They have horrible read/write times and take ages to transfer a large amount of music. However, they are lighting quick when using them in my CDJ 900s. No lag, no load times or anything. How much music do you keep on your sticks? Must be a lot if they are lagging on your CDJs.

Lost Connection
02-14-2012, 01:03 AM
I use DVS, but when/if I get myself some cd players I'll start using USB drives most likely

bernardgregory
02-14-2012, 01:35 AM
flash drives have been known to fail. thats the only negative i see

SplishDJ
02-14-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm not a club DJ yet and use a DVS system because that's all I can afford at the moment. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what form of media you use to play your music as long as it gets the job done. It'll make no difference to the partygoers at all, so whatever you choose to use is immaterial and these other DJ's have obviously got more time on their hands than they know what to do with.

Atomisk
02-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Honestly just out of personal preference, I'd recommend SD cards if you play on setups that support them, but USB works, just make sure to always have backup USB drives or something! I personally bring my CDs, laptop, SDs and USBs whenever I go out to a venue with a house setup.

mantis
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
IU love usb and rekordbox. I got the same thing as you, i rocked up at the clubwith my usb stick and the djs were still using serato with the clubs cdj 2000. I dont really care, i have my usb and my headphones in a small bag and after my gig i can go into the crowd and go enjoy myself without having to worry about my cd folder. Other djs can go suck my di... :)

Rekordbox is amazing tho. i can prepare my tunes and it all shows up in the cdj display in an instant. I can see the wave form and all the info right away, just like in serato ( minus the side by side waveform display).

Seriously, it doesnt make sense to me that people are still using serato since the invention of the cdj2000. Once all clubs are using cdj2000's no one would ever need to take their laptop with.

mantis
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I personally bring my CDs, laptop, SDs and USBs whenever I go out to a venue with a house setup.
wow... cds alone are enough, but taking usb with is the bonus for me. If ever the usb doesnt work then i can simply use my cds. have rep for being super prepared man

mostapha
02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
But is there any real downside?Nope. None that I can see. It's easier for another DJ or someone from the crowd to swipe a USB key than a CD wallet, but not much. And there are ways of dealing with that.

About the theft thing. I'm not sure how often it'd matter, but I've seriously thought about loading windows virus-infected files on my USB keys just to screw with thieves. There's no reason my USB sticks should ever be plugged into a windows machine, so it wouldn't affect my life at all. And I'd get a real sick joy out of knowing it was a possibility if one went missing.

Depending on BUS speed it might take a extra few seconds to load the tracks. Not a bad idea. Just remember Flash memory can be unreliable. I wont store your collection on a stick. Google it flash drives have a life expectancy.

They're also cheap as hell. Need 2? Buy 4. Use 1 set and if they go belly up, use your backup for the gig and replace it the next day at best buy or target.

I use DVS, but when/if I get myself some cd players I'll start using USB drives most likely

DVS @ home, CDJs with USB sticks anywhere else when available. I like it. No computers, no complicated wiring, no BS…and I get to play with vinyl at home. I don't get to practice on the same medium that I'd perform on, but screw it…Pioneer is easy to play on. And I live in a big city. If their equipment isn't up to my not-extravagant standards, they can hire someone else or let me know in advance that they're going to be renting my SL1 and Laptop for me to play on.

wow... cds alone are enough, but taking usb with is the bonus for me. If ever the usb doesnt work then i can simply use my cds. have rep for being super prepared manAgreed. I'd probably do it Atomisk's way for a while, but if I know they have 2000s, just USB keys and an iPhone.

Lazerick
02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
To me the flash drive is a blessing, if you are only going to play for a few hours and you do not have to bring a setup, that is the was to go.

Somedj
02-14-2012, 02:01 PM
flash drives have been known to fail. thats the only negative i see

which is why he said hes got cds as backup... I dont see anything wrong with usb whatsoever. Like was said by others, the less amount of stuff you have to lug around (ie laptop/sl box) the better.

ChrisHynds
02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
+1 for USB's so much easier and faster than flicking through your CD collection then havong to change the disc everytime you wanna change a track,

Atomisk
02-14-2012, 11:53 PM
wow... cds alone are enough, but taking usb with is the bonus for me. If ever the usb doesnt work then i can simply use my cds. have rep for being super prepared man

I mean I know it's overkill, but it's necessary, especially if you don't know what the venue has. It'd be my nightmare to not be able to DJ, so I like to cover my bases, because each format has a different weakness.
CD - scratches, etc.
laptop/DVS - it can crash
USB - not all CD players support USB, some don't support .wav files (wtf?)
SD - only usable with high end pios. I don't get to use them much (generally only when I'm playing on the setup of rich friends with cdj 2000s), but I feel the most comfortable with them. I'm always worried about my USB getting snapped or removed or CDs breaking.

+1 for USB's so much easier and faster than flicking through your CD collection then havong to change the disc everytime you wanna change a track,
I actually find it's the opposite. Yeah, it's a hassle to have something physical, but it's also fun! I like CDs because I find it easier to build a playlist... I can grab each CD (all my CDs are single songs, or a song & a remix/edit) and throw them in a pile, so I can build playlists really easy and on the fly by just grabbing the CDs. I'm pretty sure that the CDJ-2000s (and maybe 900s) have a feature like this that you can use without rekordbox, but I haven't really discovered it yet and I find CDs are the most fun to play on.

mantis
02-15-2012, 12:03 AM
i agree cds are fun, but i love the rekordbox function in the new cdjs (2000 and 900 are the ones i played on). I like the fact that i can analize my tracks before hand and see the wave form in an instant. With cd's it took a little longer, but maybe thats becuse i burned mp3 discs last time. anyway, if i have to choose one, i prefer cd. just me, but i like using regular cd (not mp3 disc), but its a hastle to take my cd bag to a club.

man i love these new cdjs. i wish i was rich and could afford them for my home setup

mantis
02-15-2012, 12:06 AM
oh btw, i usually check witht he club what gear they have before i go, so i can prepare. I still get clubs that only has 800mk1s and if so i cant use mp3 discs. If they have cdj2000 or 900 i know i can prep a playlist on usb. usually takes a one minute phone call to figure out what i need to take for my gig. Also, i usually go to a club before i play there. i must know what the booth look like. just me being over prepared i guess, but experience taught me that the times i didnt prepare, something bad happened

mostapha
02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
I like CDs because I find it easier to build a playlist... I can grab each CD…and throw them in a pile, so I can build playlists really easy and on the fly by just grabbing the CDs.

I actually hated that. It was fun with records, but without sleeves/art, I can't figure out what's on any of them without playing them. The little picture in iTunes is worth more to me than physical media if it's not vinyl.