PDA

View Full Version : Made a logo for myself - Looking for feedback

DJ_Wonderdog
09-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I was messing around with some ideas in Photoshop and came up with this logo. Pretty simple.

I am still a novice at PS but was looking for some feedback from the pros in this forum.

White background: http://i.imgur.com/DRX8f.jpg

Black background: http://i.imgur.com/dvH4R.jpg

FYI: I play progressive and electro house.

DJ_Wonderdog
09-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Anybody? Any thoughts at all?

Dj DRPX
09-19-2012, 09:25 PM
I like them both. The only thing you have to consider is how you will use the logo. If feel like if you plan on every putting the black logo on a business card, it'd be impossible to read in a club. In terms of looking like an electro/prog house DJ, I'd say you did that well. I would have guessed that, partly because of the glow. Try brightening up the black one a little in my opinion, but that'd be the only change I'd make. Also, I'm by no means a great graphic designer, so if you like it, keep it the way it is. Hope this helps =)

DJ_Wonderdog
09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I really didn't have a plan for them right now, maybe just thumbnail pics for Facebook and Twitter and maybe as a watermark to put on pics. I wanted to put a thin box around the whole thing the same color as the text, but haven't figured out the way to do it yet. :freak:

NickJames
09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Critiques:

I wouldn't use glow in a logo. If a flyer has an intricate background and the file used for your logo doesn't preserve the transparency behind the glow you'll either end up with a square box behind it or artifacting around the glow.

Your logo also shouldn't have a background, overlaid on a poster/flyer that also has a background having a square box around you logo when your logo is not a square looks really bad and designers will just not use your logo because it will make their design look cheap... Like clipart thrown in as an afterthought.

DJ_Wonderdog
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Critiques:

I wouldn't use glow in a logo. If a flyer has an intricate background and the file used for your logo doesn't preserve the transparency behind the glow you'll either end up with a square box behind it or artifacting around the glow.

Your logo also shouldn't have a background, overlaid on a poster/flyer that also has a background having a square box around you logo when your logo is not a square looks really bad and designers will just not use your logo because it will make their design look cheap... Like clipart thrown in as an afterthought.

Good to know. I'll take that into consideration if/when I play around with it. Again, I am a Photoshop noob and was just playing around with some ideas I had.

NickJames
10-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Good to know. I'll take that into consideration if/when I play around with it. Again, I am a Photoshop noob and was just playing around with some ideas I had.

Set the background of your canvas to transparent, create a base layer and set it to white, make your logo on layers above that one, hide the white base layer and make sure it's still ok, invert the white layer to black and make sure it still looks ok, and so on. When you go to save the image discard the base layer and save as a PNG to preserve the transparency.

DJ_Wonderdog
10-01-2012, 04:15 PM
0001010111010101, 001010010101001010101001 white, make your logo 01010111001010101010, 001010110101 white 0101010101100101 it's still ok, 0101010101 white 01010101 black and make sure it still looks ok, and so on. When you go to save the image 010101101010101010101010101010101010.

That's pretty much how I read that in my head. JK
I really don't know anything about graphic design or photoshop other than to cut my friend out of a picture and put him in a completely different picture. I was able to at least make the blue font logo with a transparent background.

Again, I appreciate the help. I will try and figure out exactly what you said and try to do it in PS.

DJ_Wonderdog
10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Does this look better?

http://i.imgur.com/1oohB.png

Took the glow off and made the background transparent. I kinda feel like it's missing something now, but maybe I just liked the "glow" before. I dunno.

Maybe this one:

http://i.imgur.com/fI1h0.png