PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm counterweight question

DJ Gridiron
09-17-2012, 01:04 AM
So i bought some Technics 1210s and i have been looking on youtube for the proper way to set my counterweight on the tonearm. I have seen some people (ie. DJ Qbert) has his weight backwards while others are the other way. I want to mix, blend and scratch so my question is whats the correct way

DTR
09-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Putting the weight on backwards is a last resort, an oldskool way of applying more weight on the stylus.

Put your counterweight on the right way round. Adjust the weight until the arm balances evenly (some people say it floats). Then turn just the black ring with the numbers on it so that the zero lines up with the index mark on the tonearm. Finally turn the whole weight until the index mark lines up with whatever weight you want to apply ie for a Shure M44-7 cartridge you'd want between 1.5g and 3g.

dlove
09-17-2012, 02:26 AM
I got taught years ago that when the tonearm is balanced, you should be able to lift the arm and place the needle on the record with a pencil, and it shouldn't skate along the pencil, it should stay put.

Dave Daschofsky
09-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Counterweights are for sissies who whine about scratching up their records. Just take it off and throw it at some drunk chick and dj like a boss.