PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to my BFM setup

DJ BONES
09-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Last night was a bitter sweet night, It was the last night I will be runing my 4 Titans and 2 Jacks 2x12..:cry:
I couldnt have been happier with how these cabs have sounded and I would recommend them to anyone!!! last night I rocked a HUGE room with my setup and people are tweeting me like crazy about how much fun they had!!

But unfortunately, I have to give up my BFM system, Im going the active route. I need the extra trailer space, faster setup time and brand name for my rental business.. Thanks bill for the awesome designs and support on the boards!!!

JackStalk
09-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Active speakers are the way to go, unless you're a club owner or regularly do 200+ person grand halls.

ronchee
09-15-2012, 10:38 PM
whats your new set up gonna be?

Defiance
09-15-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't understand why 'active is the way to go' I basically run 1 extension cord instead of 2-4 power cords + XLRs.

Bill Fitzmaurice
09-16-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't understand why 'active is the way to go' I basically run 1 extension cord instead of 2-4 power cords + XLRs.
+1. With an amp rack you plug it into the wall, run 1 wire from it to each speaker. With on-board you run 1 wire from the board to each speaker, plus each speaker gets plugged into the wall. There's no saving in cables/connections. I suppose making one less trip to the curb could be viewed as a time saver, but otherwise it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. OTOH on-boards are prone to ground loop noise, especially if your board doesn't have XLR outs. So for every issue they supposedly cure there's another that they create.
If you're really in search of simplicity a powered board is the answer. I always stayed away from them due to the weight issue, but with the advent of Class D amps that's no longer a concern. My full function live sound 12 channel mixer with four 400w amps weighs 18 pounds. I'd imagine there must be DJ mixers of the same capability.

DJ BONES
09-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Im Going with the JBL PRX series

DJ Higgumz
09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
May I ask how can one go from bfm back to name brands? For rental I understand, but I can't fathom a replacement for my system.

DJAkash
09-17-2012, 12:14 AM
for the cost I would try out RCF route in the same price range, I think you should get more bang for your buck, I believe a pair of 722a's and Subs should be similar price, but sound a bit better and some more reliability. Just a suggestion.

djscrizzle
09-17-2012, 02:19 AM
+1. With an amp rack you plug it into the wall, run 1 wire from it to each speaker. With on-board you run 1 wire from the board to each speaker, plus each speaker gets plugged into the wall. There's no saving in cables/connections. I suppose making one less trip to the curb could be viewed as a time saver, but otherwise it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. OTOH on-boards are prone to ground loop noise, especially if your board doesn't have XLR outs. So for every issue they supposedly cure there's another that they create.
If you're really in search of simplicity a powered board is the answer. I always stayed away from them due to the weight issue, but with the advent of Class D amps that's no longer a concern. My full function live sound 12 channel mixer with four 400w amps weighs 18 pounds. I'd imagine there must be DJ mixers of the same capability.

In my market among some (mainly mid to low-end) DJs, and a broader trend among Karaoke guys, is to use a small 4 to 8 channel "box top" style powered mixer.

Behringer, Phonic, and Samson seem to be the most common in my travels. Yorkville's less common, and the upper bracket tends to use A+H or Soundcraft branded mixers.

The KJs will run the whole show thru the mixer, while the DJs tend to go from their mixer, laptop, or controller to the mixer.The jocks that take their bizz more seriously tend to have either powered cabs or stacks 'n' racks. I personally have and use stacks 'n' racks, since I see little incentive towards self-powered speakers.

Unknown DJ
09-17-2012, 02:31 AM

Because renting out a pair of speakers is easier than renting a pair of speakers and an amp and it's easier for a noob to set up and less change of the noob of blowing stuff up. A pair of powered speakers also take up less room and can be lighter.

windspeed36
09-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Presentation is a huge factor when going DIY vs brand name - I would choose sleek metal grills and duratex coating over black plywood or rat fur every time for my line of work.

Active speakers are also easier to make wireless; QSC KW + Honda EU + Senn wireless system gives me a delay fill in an outdoor environment such as a park quite easily vs passive box + amp + gen + wireless.

Incognito
09-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Presentation is a huge factor when going DIY vs brand name - I would choose sleek metal grills and duratex coating over black plywood or rat fur every time for my line of work.

Active speakers are also easier to make wireless; QSC KW + Honda EU + Senn wireless system gives me a delay fill in an outdoor environment such as a park quite easily vs passive box + amp + gen + wireless.

For every up there's an equal down so really it's no clean sweep for either technology but the passive route does lend itself to being the better Swiss army knife of the two.

Bill Fitzmaurice
09-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Because renting out a pair of speakers is easier than renting a pair of speakers and an amp and it's easier for a noob to set up and less change of the noob of blowing stuff up. True, but it's false to assume you can idiot proof any set-up, the idiots will win out every time. I'd never rent out anything that I didn't care about having destroyed, as sooner or later it will be.

GaFFLe
09-17-2012, 10:19 AM
True, but it's false to assume you can idiot proof any set-up, the idiots will win out every time. I'd never rent out anything that I didn't care about having destroyed, as sooner or later it will be.
This could be someone's salutation quote. :)

DJ BONES
09-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Blowing stuff up isnt really and issue, either I stay the whole time or limit with a driverack... I do intend on building another Bill setup in the future but for now I am going to build on this JBL system for these other DJs and club installs..