PDA

View Full Version : Starting Up (Advice/Tips Needed)

MaxxLambert
09-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Okay so now is finally the time I want to make this a hobby. My university's student union bar are currently looking for DJ's and after considering getting into this for a while now I think now's a good time to do it properly.

I'm interested in Deep House/Nu-Disco music and over the past few years have built up a good library of music, so now I want to put it to good use. I've been to raves/gigs, I've spent summers in Ibiza thinking 'I wish I could bloody DJ', but I always found it too complicated or expensive to get into (and just lacked general knowledge in the area). I've downloaded software apps like VirtualDJ etc. to play around with when I'm bored, I can match beats and mix song into song but I actually want to get started and make it a real hobby.

I'm not looking to make money from it yet, I just want to pick up my skills so I can play in some bars and stuff for my own personal fun, so I was just wondering if you guys can give me some tips/advice of how to get started up? I have no knowledge about what equipment or software I need whatsoever haha.

So I've got my library of songs on my laptop but I obviously understand I need decks of some sort to practice on whilst I'm at home, some headphones and also the software too (Traktor?). If anyone wants to take some time out of their day to help me out and point me in the right direction then I would be extremely grateful. I just need the tools to be able to play!

Regards, Max.

TheRabbitMonk
09-14-2012, 02:50 PM
get on ebay and gumtree. but be abit more careful on gumtree.

depends which way you want to go.. vinyl or cd's.
due to todays technology you can have all your music on vinyl and cd by buying dvs. ie:traxtor or serato.
That said you still need a pair turntables or cdj(cd decks) and a mixer..

My tip on a mixer is to start with a cheap one you'll be heavy handed at the start then upgrade as you get better..
but on turntables it's up to you. personally i swear by pioneer cd decks as i feel they are by far the best and tend not to break etc.
again with turntables i would go for technics 1210's. if you fish around you'll get a pair for around 200 to 250. maybe cheaper if your lucky. but with turntables they are others you can get and they stand up to tech 12's eg:vestax

alot others have knowledge on here and they will chip in so just listen to what's said you won't go far wrong.

MaxxLambert
09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks mate very much appreciated.

In terms of music I'd be playing it digitally from my laptop as I've bought most my songs as MP3 from iTunes and Beatport, so yeah I've been recommended Traktor.

Andrew B
09-14-2012, 03:05 PM
What's your budget?

MaxxLambert
09-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Couple of hundred quid I guess. I wouldn't mind trying out some cheaper half decent equipment first before moving onto the better quality stuff

Will MaXimal
09-14-2012, 04:52 PM
That is a decent budget for most controllers. You can get a few second hand controllers for that amount as well.

The M-Audio Xponent, Reloop, Traktor S2, Numark controllers are all good