PDA

View Full Version : Two guitars and two vocalists

balldome
09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm ask to setup two guitars and two vocalists for a song for the bride and groom dance. What would you guys do. Remember I only have a DJ soundboard set up. Need some advice.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk

Andrew B
09-11-2012, 12:49 PM
And they want it amplified? If so, you'll need a mixing board and four mics (unless they're using electric guitars).

Sween
09-11-2012, 01:58 PM
All that for a first dance??? I hope you are charging them if you are bringing an extra soundboard.

You will need a mixer with AT LEAST 6 inputs. 2 for mics, 2 for guitars, and 2 for your DJ output (left and right).

For the vocalists you will need two mics. Ask them if they need stands. Run them to separate channels.

If acoustic guitars, find out if they have built-in pickups.
--If yes, give them each a 1/4" instrument cable to plug into the guitars and run them to separate channels on your board. No phantom power. Mic or Line level depends on the type of pickup in the guitar.
--If no, you will need to set up 2 mics on boom stands. Aim the mic directly into the hole of the guitar. Make sure they are not sitting in front of your speakers unless you want to risk feedback majorly.

If electric guitars they really should be bringing their own amps. You can probably get by without amplifying them at all if the amps are powerful enough. But chances are you will need to use a small (kick drum type) mic stand. Aim a mic into each amp.

(It is possible to plug electric guitars directly into your board if you have a direct box (DI)... but most guitarists don't like that because they want control over the sound like they get through an amp)

You will need to do a full sound check prior to the event to set the levels.

http://www.mrdwab.com/john/Close-micing.jpg

http://www.kevinkemp.com/homerecordingtutorial/images/ac%20guitar%20micing.jpg

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/213483470.jpg

Sween
09-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I should add that dynamic mics are not best suited to acoustic guitars either (but they'll work in a pinch). Condenser mics are what is normally used in studio applications.

cooper
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Having sung at a wedding before with an acoustic guitar, I'd tell 'em to perform unplugged. Depending on how many guests are in attendance, there shouldn't be a need to amplify the sound. It might be worth setting up all that equipment if they're performing a set, but not for a single song. Any vocalist worth their salt should be able to project well enough. Keep in mind this is all dependent on things like size of venue, # of guests, etc.

Also, if the performers aren't providing their own equipment, introducing that much gear for one song might be more headache than it's worth. I'd rather it be on the quiet side than listening to pops, hisses and feedback.

Sween has provided some "sound" advice (PUN!) in case you do end up micing/amplifying it. A pair of Shure SM57 on the acoustics + a pair of SM58 for vocals is pretty standard.

SockoPro
09-12-2012, 12:54 AM
^Ditto^

I have a wedding coming up with 3 lav mics, 2 vocalists, a keyboard, and guitar for their ceremony. There is a great deal of equipment and you really need experience to run it. I know it don't seem like much but if you never did live sound before a wedding, this is not the place to learn.

I'll have to bring out the following extra equipment:

1 - Yamaha MG16/4 mixing console
1 - 100 foot audio snake
3 - Shure PG14 / PG 158 lav mics
2 - SM 58 Mics
1 - SM 57 Mic
1 - DBX DI Box
1 - DBX IEQ 31 for notching feedback
Speakers and Amp

balldome
09-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all your input. I have talked with the couple and they have decided to go unplugged. Again thanks. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk