PDA

View Full Version : Audio Technica M-50 vs TMA-1

Redcon-1
09-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Anybody have experience w/ both of these? I can get the the TMA-1's for about $150, and the M-50's for about $120.

My HD25-II's got hijacked by my little bro, so I'm looking for some new cans. Also on my radar are the Ultrasone DJ1/DJ1 Pro, and i've started to see some decent reviews on the V-Moda Crossfades, but I really don't know anything about the company.

DJNR
09-10-2012, 11:56 PM
I can vouch for the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro. They are truly awesome headphones.

Phil Noize
09-11-2012, 05:07 AM
The TMA-1s and the M-50s get great reviews. You won't get the same clarity and detail from the V-Moda Crossfades.

I'm now rocking Beyerdynamic DT-1350s, which are expensive, but excellent and more detailed than HD-25 IIs.

Redcon-1
09-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey thanks for the replies. How does the isolation compare on these diff models?

Also, does anyone have experience using the new KRK headphones? I experienced a pair briefly (I got some for my dad before he returned them) and they sounded really good, but I am not sure how well they would be for DJ work.

Phil Noize
09-12-2012, 05:35 AM
The V-Modas, the TMA-1s, the M-50s & the Beyers all give excellent isolation. I guess that in order to pick out the best, you'd have to try them to see how well each set of cans fits your head.

Redcon-1
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
How would you compare the sound quality, soundstage, and detail of those two sets of cans, using the HD-25-II for reference?

I've heard some people say the HD-25 is a bit light on bass for DJ work, though I've never found that to be the case, and I've read the TMA-1 have a darker sound, but that it is not necessarily a bad thing, especially for DJ use. Has that been your experience?

I'm planning on going to GC to listen to the Audio Technicas today. What are the negatives people have to say about the M-50? The only flaw I can find currently is the fact that the cord/parts aren't easily replaceable as they were w/ my Sennheisers....

Phil Noize
09-12-2012, 12:56 PM
That's a lot of information your asking for there. Maybe check out this thread ... http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1196-Review-of-DJ-headphones-I-ve-owned-and-used-over-the-years

There are reviews in that thread of the M-50s & TMA-1s + loads of other cans

Currently, I have HD-25s, Pio HDJ2000s & Beyer DT1350s. I just sold my V-Moda Crossfades. My favourites are easily the Beyers.

Redcon-1
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
In my quest thus far, I have listened to and am still considering:

KRK KNS-8400 --- very flat, detailed, and accurate, good separation of sounds, but lacking a bit in the low end for my purposes.
Beyerdynamic DT770 --- imo, almost perfect sound for DJ use (flat w/ a slight low end emphasis), but extremely bulky, no swivel on cups, and feel like you are wearing a neckbrace if you try to put them around your neck.
Sennheiser HD280 --- very flat, boringly flat, awesome isolation, but lacking in bass
AIAIAI TMA-1 --- pretty good sound, good isolation, but a bit heavy on the bass and not sure the pricetag is justified

Headphones I am currently considering

Audio Technica ATH-M50 --- Concerned w/ comfort, whether the M50 is even in the same league as my other choices, and if it is still the value it used to be (I can purchase almost any of these other headphones w/in about $30 of the M50 price, so it doesn't seem like it quite qualifies as a budget can like it may have a few years ago)
Ultrasone HFI-580 / DJ1 --- These are prob the cans I am most considering at this point
Ultrasone HFI-550 / DJ1 Pro --- Also very interested in these. Not really sure the highlights/lowlights b/w these guys and their cheaper sibling
AKG K270 MKII --- Interested in these, but pretty sure they aren't my best option for DJ use.
V-modo Crossfade --- a little too funky-futury looking for me, and unsure of SQ

Not interested in Shures as they look fragile to me, and am looking for something a bit more fun than Sony 7506/V6, etc.

So.... what am I missing here that I need to consider? What are the major differences in sound signature b/w the Ultrasone HFI-580 / DJ1 and the Ultrasone HFI-550 / DJ1 Pro?

All responses appreciated!

Redcon-1
09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Just ordered a pair of Ultrasone hfi-580's (DJ1's) from B&H for $120 shipped. Will weigh in with some thoughts after burn-in and I get to spend some time with them!

DJNR
09-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Just ordered a pair of Ultrasone hfi-580's (DJ1's) from B&H for $120 shipped. Will weigh in with some thoughts after burn-in and I get to spend some time with them!

Are they the same model? They are different on Ultrasone's site. DJ1s are DJ use, those are hi-fi use according to them.

Redcon-1
09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
confirmed on head-fi and I talked to Ultrasone's USA distributor today who confirmed the same.

Pro 550 = DJ1 Pro
HFI-580 = DJ1

Only difference is in cosmetics and the cords (not a huge fan of DJ1/Pro cosmetics anyways). HFI-580 has a 10' straight cord, whereas DJ1 has a 10' coiled, so I plan on rubberbanding a couple of feet of it which will get it off the ground and also offer some give.

I'm 90% that the DJ1 Pro and Pro 550 is same situation-- just cosmetic differences-- and the Pro 550s look AWESOME, though the accessories might be slightly different.

DJNR
09-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Phil Noize
09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
The 580s are some sexy cans ... nice choice!!