PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Classic Hip Hop/R&B with CDJs...

Mixxed
09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
... As opposed to vinyl turntables. Let's discuss real quick...

There's a dope monthly old school R&B/Hip Hop party that I'd love to spin. It's been going on for a while, and the resident is dope. He's using 1200's with Serato. The setup at the party is such that the DJ is on a small stage (the club isn't that big), so a lot of the focus, visually, is on the DJ. DJ doesn't do too much scratching, but from the little he does, he knows what he's doing for sure.

So there may be a chance for me to spin this party soon... The problem is I'm not as proficient on vinyl turntables as I am my CDJs. I started maybe in '07 with a dual deck CD changer in a small club/bar that I actually mixed CDs with, via the jog wheels LOL. Did that for a year until I was able to afford a set up of my own, which consisted of CDJ 800's and a Rane TTM57. That allowed me the most portable unit at a good price point. I've always wanted to spin on Techs but never had the resources or space in my condo to get them. I've spun a few times on vinyl, as I know a couple of guys who have techs at the spots they play, and I've gone over after hours to hone up on my vinyl skills... I did a couple of sets on Techs/Serato and felt OK... I can mix on TTs adequately (until I can get more time on them), but definitely not as fast nor proficiently as I can with the CDJs I've been using for the past four years.

Anyway... I feel some kind of way spinning an old school hip hop party... On CDJs, as opposed to TTs. With hip hop, it's more about the culture... and TTs are a huge part of the culture. I feel like the best way to do an old school party, visually, is with turntables...Especially when past DJs at the venue have used TTs. But then again, eff what some people think, and just play the music on the medium you're most comfortable with... because it's all about the music, right? :freak::freak::freak:

Sigma
09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
To me, it's about doing your best performance. There's no point forcing yourself to use turntables if that's going to mean your mixing isn't as on point. There is some weight to the "TTs are a part of the culture" argument, but that doesn't mean you have to use them. If you're banging out good tunes and you've got some skills, nobody has the right to criticise you.

If you want to get into mixing with turntables, do it because you feel comfortable, because you like how decks feel, because you like collecting vinyl or whatever. Don't do it because of what other people might think of you as a DJ.

Mixxed
09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
True... Sometimes people put too much stock into "what's he playing on"... If the music coming out of the speaker is on point, then it shouldn't really matter... But a goal of mine in the next few months is to get nice on turntables...

c-hawk
09-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think the patrons of the club are going to care and, to me, that's really what matters.....only other DJs may say something but for the most part, I don't even think they'll say anything. If the club owner is ok with you bringing your own setup, you should be good to go if you skills are on point with the crowd.