PDA

View Full Version : Tech ground mod Serato box issue

djdiggla
09-09-2012, 07:53 AM
I did the mid with a friend's help a while back and noticed some strange things happening... Finally deduced what I think the problem is and wondered if anyone else has had the same issue.

I worried this might be an issue... Sounds great when I go direct into the mixer but doesn't sound fully grounded when I go into the serato box. When I unplug the right channel (one we used as ground) it's clearly ungrounded but plugged in to the box the hum is about 50% there. I assume it would be fine if I had a Rane serato mixer but don't.

Anyone had this issue? It seems to be messing with the time code randomly. And of course u can hear it when using real vinyl. Totally sucks. Might just sell the deck and buy a PDX... Not happy tho :(

DeeJayTex
09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Your supposed to ground to both the left and the right my friend not just one channel

djdiggla
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Nah, it's just one. I figure you could do both but shouldn't make a difference. Like I said, it's flawless into the mixer. I had wondered if going into the SL box was gonna effect it and it does. FYi for people thinking about doing the mod.

VjQue
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Did you ground it to the right side

DeeJayTex
09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Yup but without grounding to both the left and right aerator doesn't pick up the properly grounded signal. I rebuild and maintain about 5 - 10 pairs of 1200 a week so I'm not guessing here lol

djdiggla
09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
So you split the ground and solder to both left and right??

You in the states, right? Just checking cause it's different in Europe cause of passive grounding I think.

DTR
09-13-2012, 11:21 AM
The left and right are usually bussed together at the mixer / receiving end anyway, so it shouldn't matter which side it's grounded to. My tonearms are grounded via only one return (probably the left, but I forget) and we don't have any problems.

As you don't have any problems running straight into a mixer, I'd go out on a limb and say your turntable grounding is fine. Do you have access to a multimeter?

DTR
09-13-2012, 11:24 AM
You in the states, right? Just checking cause it's different in Europe cause of passive grounding I think.

Are you getting confused with domestic mains power supplies? Because turntable grounding and mains power grounding arrangements are a different kettle of fish, whereas mixers / serato boxes the world over are all basically the same.

djdiggla
09-14-2012, 04:38 PM
^^ I just heard it was different in the UK.. They have passive grounding or something.

I agree with you, the single ground is correctly done. As I've researched more it appears sometimes serato is finicky about the ground. I have SL1 so might be even more so? I do have a multimeter but hardly know how to use it.

purex like soap
09-14-2012, 05:28 PM
you might also just have a cold solder joint.

djdiggla
09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
What does that mean? I didnt use flux (?) or anything.

DTR
09-15-2012, 03:40 AM
I have SL1 so might be even more so?

We have SL1 and don't have a problem.

I do have a multimeter but hardly know how to use it.

Switch it to the Ohms / Ω range. If there are several, turn it to the lowest value. Make sure it's working by touching the probes together - with the probes together it should read very low, like 0.4Ω. With the probes apart it should read O/L or -E- or something along those lines, anything but a low reading.

Set your gear up like you normally would. The gear does not have to be switched on.
Hold one probe against a metallic, non-painted part of your turntable's tonearm. Keep that probe there.
Touch the other probe on the outside part of an RCA / Phono connection on your SL1 - you should get a low reading. Try it on the rest of the SL1's RCA connections too.
Next try the probe on an RCA connection on your mixer. Try the grounding post too. They should all be low readings.

Let us know how you get on.

djdiggla
09-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Ok. I'll report back. Thanks