PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting TheRabbitMonk vs Dj_4-$hure vs DJArmani - 3 way scratch/juggle Battle

JonAvalon
09-08-2012, 01:00 PM
File 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJ_4-$hure-vs-djarmani-vs-Rabbitmonk-1.mp3)

File 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJ_4-$hure-vs-djarmani-vs-Rabbitmonk-2.mp3)

File 3 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJ_4-$hure-vs-djarmani-vs-Rabbitmonk-3.mp3)

Rules:
5 to 10 mins mix, any sample, any tempo.
Vinyl,Dvs allowed, cdj's allowed. virtual dj not allowed

Dj_4-$hure
09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks Jon. Finally this thing is up, good job guys.:tup:

TheRabbitMonk
09-08-2012, 05:58 PM
http://www.richardtimothy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/27-squirrels-with-lightsabers.jpg

yes mate good luck.

Vekked
09-08-2012, 09:02 PM
File 1:

First minute, mostly just variations of looping. Pretty clean though. Definitely need to get some more actual patterns, not just backspinning/looping. Watch juggles from 1990-96, and try to learn what you can from them. Not much scratching in this file, mostly baby scratches cueing up to loop.

File 2:

First cuts are simple, but clean. Really weird vibe/sample choice, lol. First transition is really abrupt and doesn't sound great. I don't know what's happening from 1:10 until end, is there even any scratching or juggling really? It sounds like a normal mix, lol...

File 3:

Juggling doesn't make any sense, there aren't any real patterns... definitely needs to go back to the basics. Learn some simple patterns and get them clean. I suggest watching Mista Sinista's old stuff and trying to pick some of his patterns up.

Scratching is better. Sloppy when trying to go fast. Again slow it down, clean up your chirps and stabs. 2:38-:2:50 or so is more like how you should be trying to keep the rest of it. A bit more controlled. Word cuts sounded better than the ahh cuts. A lot of it sounded indistinguishable and not very clean though.

Just work on mastering basic stuff for now, it takes time so don't be deterred.

Verdict:

1 - fairly clean, best doubles. Didn't scratch much, and file wasn't 5-10 minutes.
2 - scratching at the start was basic but clean, but the rest was mostly just a long mix... doesn't really seem to fit in the battle.
3 - needs a lot of work, but tried to juggle and scratch both at least.

I guess 1 is the best but it was way shorter than the time limit too, and didn't scratch. 2 isn't really a scratch/juggle file, and 3 was too sloppy.

In the future I would suggest a like 2-3 minutes max to do both scratching and juggling. Honestly I battle a bunch every year and am constantly making routines, and I can probably do like 15 minutes max based on 2 full years of material... if I can only make 15 mins in 2 years, that should tell you that the time limit is too long. Focus on quality > quantity. Short battle, juggle for half and scratch for half.

TheRabbitMonk
09-09-2012, 05:45 AM
cheers for the feedback@vekked i hear ya.

Dj_4-$hure
09-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks Vek for the detailed comments. I think you were leaning towards file 1 but has no vote. All criticism and votes are appreciated. Will rep, for votes + some words.

alazydj
09-09-2012, 02:12 PM
1- Little variation.

2- Lots of variation.

3- Wasn't up to par. But better than me.

///

I voted #2

Vekked
09-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks Vek for the detailed comments. I think you were leaning towards file 1 but has no vote. All criticism and votes are appreciated. Will rep, for votes + some words.

Was leaning towards 1, but kinda hard to vote because it's shorter than the time limit and didn't have much scratching either.

I vote rematch of 2 minute time limit, both scratching and juggling required ;)

DJArmani
09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I actually wasn't aware it was a 5-10 min battle, Rabbitmonk told me to throw down some rules I said a 4 minute mix. I'm confused, lol.

Timmy G
09-09-2012, 08:13 PM
I ended up voting number 1 cause to me it sounded the best and had a bit of juggling n scratching involved, even though it was basic.
Number 2 ended up sounding like a mix like vekked said but had a nice lil intro with the wierd samples haha.
Number 3 sounded a bit sloppy but I could tell Armani tried to switch up the patterns and step away from the basics.

LeFresh
09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
What did I just listen to???

#1 Basic

#2 Sounded like a mix to me...a weird one too. Try adding juggles and scratches next time you enter a battle.

#3 You were sloppy, just slow down. I'd rather listen to basic clean cuts than technical sloppy cuts.

--
#3 would have won if the cuts weren't so sloppy. I'm going with #1 because it was the cleanest sounding submission.

Ya'll sounded like rookies ( I consider myself a rookie ), just keep at it and ya'll will see progress soon, stay scratching!

Stay Fresh Ya'll

neks
09-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Will listen and vote but for the analysis, Vekked seemed to be pretty thorough

DJArmani
09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
I ended up voting number 1 cause to me it sounded the best and had a bit of juggling n scratching involved, even though it was basic.
Number 2 ended up sounding like a mix like vekked said but had a nice lil intro with the wierd samples haha.
Number 3 sounded a bit sloppy but I could tell Armani tried to switch up the patterns and step away from the basics.

I was actually number 1. Lol.

Timmy G
09-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Haha good job then Armani. I just thought you were number three cuz your name was last on the name of the thread.

DJArmani
09-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Haha good job then Armani. I just thought you were number three cuz your name was last on the name of the thread.

thanks! RIP DJ AM he inspired me for this battle.

TheRabbitMonk
09-13-2012, 03:06 PM
right you've all been repped and yes even the people who didn't vote for my battle.:mad:

but yea mine was bobbing so i get it.. cheers.. well done armani.:love:

DJArmani
09-13-2012, 03:34 PM
right you've all been repped and yes even the people who didn't vote for my battle.:mad:

but yea mine was bobbing so i get it.. cheers.. well done armani.:love:

thanks! I mean voting is still on if anyone else wants to vote..

TheRabbitMonk
09-13-2012, 03:42 PM
thanks! I mean voting is still on if anyone else wants to vote..

nar i've grown bored you win..

DJArmani
09-13-2012, 06:41 PM
nar i've grown bored you win..

Finally my first win.. battle record 1-2.. lol

Dj_4-$hure
09-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Good for you Armani. Not my best work.