PDA

View Full Version : Will any of the current TT manufacturers ever license the 1200 tech from Panasonic?

drumpusher
01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
in your opinion? Discuss

I think some decent manufacturer like Rane, they should seriously consider it.

Hausgeist
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Quick reply: Doubt it.

g-sep
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I think it will happen, but is it worth it? Probably not. Most people that spin vinyl are happy with their current setup, and all the new people getting started in this are using either CD's or controllers.

drumpusher
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Personally, I predict a wave of nostalgia in maybe 15 years or less for the analogue DJ spinning to be hip and cool again. Once the digi-dj is so saturated people are so sick of it.

Just look at hipsters for example, your dad was one. And we all know how strong the allure of nostalgia is, just look at all the countless mixes being thrown up with a picture of a cassette on it. R_CO's mixes on soundcloud for example. Given the endless waves of talentless chodes getting into it nowadays maybe it'll be sooner than we all think.

Laugh all you want, but there were days on the original forum here where people were poked fun at because they suggested vinyl would cease to be popular. :teef:

Hausgeist
01-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Personally, I'd love if that happened, especially if it drops the price of a single, new mk2 down from $900. :freak:

g-sep
01-30-2012, 09:01 PM
^whats wrong with the Numarks haus?

drumpusher
01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
This I can answer honestly having both owned a pair of numarks and technics, and initially learning to beatmatch on a pair of stantons. The build quality, the ruggedness and the difference in the wow and flutter on the motor. Plus the eternal itch of wanting to own technics when you don't own technics. :teef:

Hausgeist
01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
^whats wrong with the Numarks haus?

Nothing. They work fine for me now, especially for only $50 per deck. Eventually, though, at some point they are going to give out, and I'll need a new pair of decks. It'd be nice to have Technics, but there is no way I can justify spending the current price on turntables. If my decks were to crap out today, I'd go for TTXs, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

g-sep
01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Nothing. They work fine for me now, especially for only $50 per deck. Eventually, though, at some point they are going to give out, and I'll need a new pair of decks. It'd be nice to have Technics, but there is no way I can justify spending the current price on turntables. If my decks were to crap out today, I'd go for TTXs, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

You good at repairing electronics? I always see some on craigslist that are busted, like start/stop doesnt work and what not for cheap. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a fixer upper and see how it comes out.

Rothgery
01-31-2012, 02:07 AM
There was some chatter a while back ago about another company picking up the Technics project - but I think its pretty much a dead scenario, If someone does - Im sure they would kill the namesake same as how Mackie kinda sucks now. Not the same thing, Mackie just sold to another manufacturer but still.

Damon_Chambers
01-31-2012, 06:36 AM
the problem comes down to $. if panasonic didnt see profit in it and they had been carrying the technic line for boux coup years then i would imagine it would be very difficult for a smaller company to take up the name, run with it, and make the same quality product and still make a profit.

Hausgeist
01-31-2012, 06:58 AM
the problem comes down to $. if panasonic didnt see profit in it and they had been carrying the technic line for boux coup years then i would imagine it would be very difficult for a smaller company to take up the name, run with it, and make the same quality product and still make a profit.

Exactly. Still, I'd like to think that at least some companies will still continue to produce turntables for djing i.e. Numark and Stanton. I've heard rumblings that Numark may be planning a TTX model with a built in dicer-esque section.

Marc S
02-01-2012, 02:42 PM
if technics cant sell them (enough to make it economically viable), what makes you think a copycat company will? and no matter if they are identical, people will find a way to shit talk them and make them out to be not the real deal or fakes or not as good and sales will fall even further.

wont happen

Andrew B
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
The "problem" with 1200s/1210s, from Panasonic's POV, is that they last forever.

We're seeing more and more products with planned obsolescence. Tiny upgrades, etc. They really mishandled them, from a corporate standpoint. If they would've upgraded them once in a while with must-have features, then they might've had a chance at a continued existence. Not that I'm saying that's a good thing, but it was probably necessary.

Marc S
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
indeed, it was a victim of its own success, its major selling point was if anything the reason it died.

xyloft
02-01-2012, 06:53 PM

yeah...what concerns me is if some new maker licenses the 1200 name and then makes a shit table with shit insides.

gr2daover
02-03-2012, 01:21 AM
one of the only features i can think of they added would be the no click when set at zero so you have a smooth slide in the pitch. noticed it on my mk5s the minute i got them, but that isnt a real must have tho and im sure people didnt drop there current techs just for that lol.

Era 7
02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
don't think it would pay off enough. there are still tons of 1200 around. they have been produced for over 30 years.

BuddyUK
02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Was worried about the end of production of the mk2's so I bought another pair just to be on the safe side, pretty much set up for life now TBH.

BuddyUK
02-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Biggest selling record players ever I believe.

mostapha
02-06-2012, 07:34 AM

See…that's the rub. And the reason why I don't get the used price spike. Technics 1200s wern't selling at their price. The used market was way too flooded to support pricing a 1200mk2 at like $600 new when you could buy a used one in great condition for $250.

Panasonic discontinued them because they couldn't move them.

Then, for some reason, prices skyrocketed…and everyone got scared and bought up what they could as if the plethora of extra 1200s just evaporated.

You know how long it took me to find a pair of mint condition m5gs when I decided to go back to turntables a couple weeks ago? 20 minutes. They also had mint and beaten up mk2s, which I bought 2 of, because the prices are still stupid high.

The only good thing about another company coming out with licensed 1200 copies is that it would stabilize the used prices back where they should be. I just hope it's a company I don't like so that I don't have to care when they go under or discontinue them.

The "problem" with 1200s/1210s, from Panasonic's POV, is that they last forever.

We're seeing more and more products with planned obsolescence. Tiny upgrades, etc. They really mishandled them, from a corporate standpoint. If they would've upgraded them once in a while with must-have features, then they might've had a chance at a continued existence. Not that I'm saying that's a good thing, but it was probably necessary.

Not necessary, IMHO, but definitely a better way to make money.

People bought the m5gs because they were a legit upgrade. There are things you could do with turntables that would be worth something (internal preamps, for starters…built-in SSL interfaces…stuff like that). Panasonic just never did them.

BuddyUK
02-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Saw a brand new 1210 mk2 in it's box on ebay for £1000 before xmas

epik1
02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I have two decent condition and working 1200's right now, and they're just sitting cause I'm too broke for a mixer =( lol

I think it would be a very niche market right now if someone picked up 1200's and re-manufactured them.
Then there would also be the issues with QC if they're as good or better than the originals...not sure how they can be much better though, as they're built so well.

The way I see it, controllers are taking over like crazy. Especially with the dubstep trend now everyone just wants MIDI controllers and MPD's and the like.

manythings
02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see it.. I'm looking to pick up another pair of techs but I'm apprehensive because of the price inflation. I picked up my pair of 1200s for $600 straight cash from a vinyl junkie a while back. There's no way I could see those prices anymore

djnickhustle
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
I doubt that anyone will pick up anything for Panasonic to start manufacturing Technic 1200's again.
There is still many "Brand new" technics out there that are sealed/boxed. "You just have to know where to look."
With that said, those are not even selling like wild fire...Bottom line is that there are so many people/companies out there that are customizing/refurbishing technics from anywhere of $900-$1400 a PAIR. These refurbished/custom technics are as good as brand new, every single part is flawless and everything works down to the bone for half the price...So why would anyone pay 1100-1200 for a single turntable when they can get a fresh refurbished/custom pair for less..

lovecitydjs
02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
there are more 1200's on this planet then there are people who need them. that's for sure. even if Technics never makes another one, the used ones will still have more market share than Stanton and Numark.

epik1
02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I'd like to see it.. I'm looking to pick up another pair of techs but I'm apprehensive because of the price inflation. I picked up my pair of 1200s for $600 straight cash from a vinyl junkie a while back. There's no way I could see those prices anymore

Damn, I paid the same for mine both shipped, and I thought I got ripped off still =\

monomer
02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Soon as the panic settles down, they'll be back priced normally on the used market.

$500 for a single MK2 in decent shape because "they don't make them anymore" and are "rare"????

Technics made hundreds of THOUSANDS since the early 80's when the mk2 was introduced. "Rare" will NEVER happen in my lifetime.

monomer
02-07-2012, 10:32 PM
For the record, I pay'd $375 for my pair of mk2's. Used, in decent shape.

It was less then 5 years ago.

Hausgeist
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
For the record, I pay'd $375 for my pair of mk2's. Used, in decent shape.

It was less then 5 years ago.

Thank you.

Now people are paying $1000 or more for a used pair. GTFO. :mad:

Rothgery
02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Soon as the panic settles down, they'll be back priced normally on the used market.

$500 for a single MK2 in decent shape because "they don't make them anymore" and are "rare"????

Technics made hundreds of THOUSANDS since the early 80's when the mk2 was introduced. "Rare" will NEVER happen in my lifetime.

I'm not sure that they will ever come back down, unless they start producing them again. Reasons being is, once the new "price standard" as been set - people that are selling them will keep the prices high so that to make a buck. If you had something that was worth 200$ and you know someone will pay 800$ for it, how much would you charge? Simple supply and demand.

Hausgeist
02-07-2012, 10:49 PM
And people keep paying for them. It is ridiculous.

punky
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I never spin vinyl anymore, so it doesn't matter much to me, but I sincerely doubt that anyone will pick this up and run with it again. The age of vinyl for DJs is more or less over, unless you're a turntablist.

Damon_Chambers
02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
I never spin vinyl anymore, so it doesn't matter much to me, but I sincerely doubt that anyone will pick this up and run with it again. The age of vinyl for DJs is more or less over, unless you're a turntablist.

and really you can be a turntablist on a cd deck now. it may not be "the same" by any means but it can be done.

DJ LEVLHED
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
There will be a vinyl-only DJ hipster elitist throwback revolution. I'm counting on it.

ser182
02-17-2012, 09:03 PM
They are still high in Houston. I have a pair M5G and a new MK5. I would love to get one mint pair of M5G. Or a nice GLDlimited editions. Vinyl Sales in the US have been on the rise. These will stay in demand. There has been a HiFi refollowing because they can be modded. Kabusa.com make very nice mods. They were made for HiFi, Dj adopted them now HiFi are wanting them again. So there is a good chance these prices could stay where they are.

Yanex
02-19-2012, 07:05 PM
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rTNZouTOE

HStanford1
02-20-2012, 02:44 AM
I would own a pair of Technics right now if ebayers didn't charge outrageous prices just because they carry the Technics name. I know they're built like tanks, but why pay 400-500 a deck for some busted up decks? I really wish they'd lose some popularity in the market just to bring prices down. I may be purely talking out of my ass, but I don't feel justified buying a deck for 300-400 plus shipping (and it isn't cheap) and then having to clean up oxidation, replace problematic RCA/grounds, maybe replace pitch faders, etc. No matter how reliable they are, if I'm going to spend that much in a bid war, they better be flawless, especially for used technology. And people actually bid on them, seriously. If no one would take the bait on raggedy decks, I think their going price would drop. Not to say it isn't worth the money, but bidding wars and outrageous sellers ruin it for the buyer.

All in all for the PDX 2k's I grabbed for 400 as a pair, I just don't get it. I know before they were discontinued you could find them much, much cheaper as far as used decks. Not even 2 years ago I saw them for 200 a deck, and I should've grabbed some. Alas, I was stuck in controllerist crap, before I realized how dead end it was for me and how unenthusiastic I was about mixing

Bring back the Technics name! If not anything but to keep sellers in check.

FCruzDJ
03-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Some club DJ's still use vinyl.

Jellybean Benitez, Louie Vega/Kenny Gonzalez (MAW), Junior Sanchez, and Kevin Hedge (Blaze) still use vinyl often enough.

I still use my vinyl in conjunction with my digital player (Denon HD-2500)

They are still high in Houston. I have a pair M5G and a new MK5. I would love to get one mint pair of M5G. Or a nice GLDlimited editions. Vinyl Sales in the US have been on the rise. These will stay in demand. There has been a HiFi refollowing because they can be modded. Kabusa.com make very nice mods. They were made for HiFi, Dj adopted them now HiFi are wanting them again. So there is a good chance these prices could stay where they are.

Technics are high everywhere. I own (3) 1200 First Gen, (2) 1200MKII and I have a SL-1300 or two put away somewhere.

I was also hoping to invest in M5G's but there's no way I would pay what they are now; I don't need them that bad. ;)

Andrew B
03-02-2012, 09:42 PM
There will be a vinyl-only DJ hipster elitist throwback revolution. I'm counting on it.

That's been happening for a few years now.

Hausgeist
03-02-2012, 10:00 PM
What's interesting is that the price of TTXs and ST/STR8 150s have also gone up.

FCruzDJ
03-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I think once the Technics prices jacked up, a huge buying demand of those models took place; resulting in a price increase.

mostapha
03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I think they realized that a lot of people thought they were jokes. By raising the price, people who know they should look for technics but not why…won't think "crap" when they compare a pair of m5gs to a pair of str8150s.

Somoeone has bought them thinking "well, I can't spend 2gs, but I can spend 1g…and at least I can get something better than those POS $300 stantons".