PDA

View Full Version : crossfader mod.. making it click at the center point

djswiftstyles
09-07-2012, 03:16 AM
I'm wondering is there a way to make my crossfader click at the center point of the crossfader? I have a pioneer DJM 400 mixer and that's one thing I wish I could change about your it. Any tips on rigging it to click?

DTR
09-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Really need to see how the cross fader is constructed first. When I'm back on a real computer I might look into it.

But I have to ask, why?

JackStalk
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
It would probably be easier to design some sort of groove so your fingers would feel when it was centered. 90% of the time when you play live the crowd really won't notice the difference if it's 2 or three hash marks off.

Andrew B
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
But I have to ask, why?

I'm curious as well.

DTR
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I seem to remember some mixers back in the day having a centre click... could be wrong on that

djswiftstyles
09-07-2012, 06:28 PM
It would probably be easier to design some sort of groove so your fingers would feel when it was centered. 90% of the time when you play live the crowd really won't notice the difference if it's 2 or three hash marks off.

I understand playing live its not really noticeable but I recently started listening to some of my sets I recorded through my earphones and those few hash marks I missed is definitely noticeable. I'm sure it's because I'm more critical when listening to a track since I Dj. Also not to sound unprofessional but when I play out at gigs I sometimes (if it's that type of party) get a little tipsey where a click can help me from getting sloppy with my mixes.

Andrew B
09-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I understand playing live its not really noticeable but I recently started listening to some of my sets I recorded through my earphones and those few hash marks I missed is definitely noticeable. I'm sure it's because I'm more critical when listening to a track since I Dj. Also not to sound unprofessional but when I play out at gigs I sometimes (if it's that type of party) get a little tipsey where a click can help me from getting sloppy with my mixes.

How about turning off the crossfader and using the linefaders?

Will MaXimal
09-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Also not to sound unprofessional but when I play out at gigs I sometimes (if it's that type of party) get a little tipsey where a click can help me from getting sloppy with my mixes.

Maybe we can electrify the post so when you cross over too much you get a nice jolt! :teef:

The housing for a pitch fader and a cross fader is not that far off between most models... You could try and find a pitch fader floating around that has the click and see what it is that makes the click sound and see if the mechanism can be installed in your crossfader housing?

Will MaXimal
09-07-2012, 06:59 PM
How about turning off the crossfader and using the linefaders?

I am not sure if the 400 has the assignable channels for the crossfader but none the less great idea... I would just center the crossfader and use the upfaders... I mix this way almost all the time.

Andrew B
09-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I am not sure if the 400 has the assignable channels for the crossfader but none the less great idea... I would just center the crossfader and use the upfaders... I mix this way almost all the time.

Yeah, it does. I checked before I posted that. Not using the crossfader is pretty standard for mixing DJs, I think.

DTR
09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
The housing for a pitch fader and a cross fader is not that far off between most models... You could try and find a pitch fader floating around that has the click and see what it is that makes the click sound and see if the mechanism can be installed in your crossfader housing?

I was thinking along the same lines, like a Technics pitch fader. Take a small ball bearing and a smaller diameter spring. Drill a blind hole in the fader wiper (the bit that moves) perpendicular to the travel to accept the spring and ball bearing. Drill a smaller corresponding hole in the fader casing at the halfway point. The sprung ball bearing will pop into the hole in the casing at the halfway point.

That's an academic answer though because I agree with Andrew; use the line faders. I am a mix DJ, but I leave my crossfader on the sharp scratching curve. I only use it to cut, and the rest of the time it can be anywhere in the mddle of its travel without affecting anything.

jdtheishman
09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I still have an old Pyramid mixer WITH WOOD SIDES btw lol...it has a center click. I think that nowadays it may be kinda in the way to a degree. Especially when doing stabs, etc. Interested in seeing the mod tho.

Nicadraus
09-09-2012, 10:23 PM
But I have to ask, why?

Same question here. :shrug:

djlotus
09-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Depending on what the stock fader is, you can more than likely retrofit an old mk2 pitch spring and ball get up. I have some laying around if you are interested.

Dj Pudgey
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I do not think ANY mixer had an center "click" on it. it would ruin the blending effect that the crossfader does. Sounds like the OP may need to lay off the sauce when behind the decks!

Phasma
09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
find out the specs on the fader. (length, pins, resistance, etc)

Go to mouser.com and find a fader that is identical with a center detent.