PDA

View Full Version : Loosing the mojo?

ChrisHynds
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Ok so Im looking for some of your thoughts on this, Im hoping some of you feel the same at times and its possibly just a phase,

But Im finding with the current direction of the Trance scene that Im really struggling to find good tracks and enjoy listening to them, I spend most of my time searching for new music and coming across shit that sounds like it been produced by David Guetta. Im not turning my back on Trance at all, I still love it and will always spin it, but I'm finding that I only really like tracks that are 138+ or on the opposite end of the scale 128- but these are more deep prog house rather than Trance, anything in between just sounds like commercial shit to me and its getting me down a tad.

I just feel that as a genre Trance is no longer doing what it used to for me, I used to be able to listen to pretty much anything labeled as Trance and at worst think yea thats not bad, now it seems that I spend most of my time listening and asking, wtf am I listening too? Does anyone else get this?

Ive noticed with my own sets, Im leaning more and more towards Deep Prog House or Uplifting Tech Trance as anything inbetween just sounds like shit to me. The guys I used to love and listen to on a regular basis, I cant stand any more, A&B's TATW has gone to shit, Armins new releases are turd, Markus is the only one that still holds credit in my eyes.

I guess Im just looking to see if any of you experience the same thing or whether I'm just loosing interest in Trance?

Ohmega
09-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Don't beat yourself up bro, Trance was my starting point as well. After time I have found other genres have much more to offer me as a DJ, like Techno... However when I first started mixing 10+ years ago I hated Techno and thought it was simple blippy crap. It takes a certain level of maturity to start going out of your comfort zones. As we speak I am listening to my "A State of Trance sampler on vinyl from 2004" and I'm sitting here wondering what the hell happened to the Trance scene as well. I can spend hours and hours searching through 5000 Trance tunes to only find 10-13 that I kind of enjoy. There is just nothing new going on that makes anything stand out. I've heard the synth line a million times, I've heard the big ambient 2 minute breakdown a few million times ect. I also agree that the Armada and Anjuna, ASOT labels have lost their credibility completely. Plus the flooding on sites with re-released music in compilation after compilation is not helping to give any of the Trance tracks an identity. I had to spin Psy Trance at 132-135 in the Round 1 to have anything that kind of resembled true underground Trance.

Progressive or Deep Progressive as you call it has some elements of the traditional DJ era. I was listening to the early Lost Language and Audio Therapy vinyls I have today too. The new Progressive/Pop House is a joke and truly belongs on Hip-Hop/Pop sites.

If anything you are just evolving, a DJ who spins 1 genre is bound to quit after time (I have seen countless come and go). You have to re-invent yourself every now and then to stay passionate! :D

And what are you complaining about, you had Dinka and Will Holland on your show dude!!!! Next thing I know Paul Oakenfold is going to be doing your DSOT intros...

JackStalk
09-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Plus the flooding on sites with re-released music in compilation after compilation is not helping to give any of the Trance tracks an identity.

This is what really kills me, I can't stand how the big labels blandly overpopulate and re-release so much stuff. I had to go deep underground with my choices for round 1.

Addictive Glance is the only artist I really enjoy who keeps trance on a progressive end. I follow him on facebook and he's really underground and down to earth.

http://www.beatport.com/release/christina/943518

ChrisHynds
09-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Don't beat yourself up bro, Trance was my starting point as well. After time I have found other genres have much more to offer me as a DJ, like Techno... However when I first started mixing 10+ years ago I hated Techno and thought it was crap. It takes a certain level of maturity to start going out of your comfort zones. As we speak I am listening to my A State of Trance sampler on vinyl from 2004 and I'm sitting here wondering what the hell happened to the Trance scene as well. I can spend hours and hours searching through 5000 Trance tunes to only find 10-13 that I kind of enjoy. There is just nothing new going on that makes anything stand out. I've heard the synth line a million times, I've heard the breakdown a few million times ect. I also agree that the Armada and Anjuna, ASOT labels have lost their credibility completely. Plus the flooding on sites with re-released music in compilation after compilation is not helping to give any of the Trance tracks an identity. I had to spin Psy Trance at 132-135 in the Round 1 to have anything that kind of resembled true Trance.

Progressive or Deep Progressive as you call it has some elements of the traditional DJ era. like the early Lost Language and Audio Therapy days. The new Progressive/Pop House is a joke and truly belongs on Hip-Hop/Pop sites.

If anything you are just evolving, a DJ who spins 1 genre is bound to quit after time (I have seen countless come and go). You have to re-invent yourself every now and then to stay passionate! :D

And what are you complaining about, you had Dinka and Will Holland on your show dude!!!! Next thing I know Paul Oakenfold is going to be doing your DSOT intros...

Yea I get what your saying, its just disapointing in a way to see something you love so much turn to shit I guess. There are still plenty of great tracks out there and Im gonna keep pluggin away through the shit to find enough tracks to put together into a set :) I still love working on and putting together my show every month but its just getting harder and harder to find tracks that I like, altho on the other hand I suppose in a way its more rewarding when you come up with something worth while.

Time to branch out a little :)

I was just looking for some other opinions to see where you guys stand on the matter, good to see Im not alone :)

Sedna
09-07-2012, 12:02 AM
You know, I felt like this for a while. But then I found the dark underground progressive stuff... and psy. It's just endless awesomeness.

Check out Relaunch, for example. And Cosmithex. So original.. so progressive and still has that "journey" trance feeling. Beautiful.

Airwave is another good one of course, and John 00 Fleming... as for psytrance, Christopher Lawrence always brings it. And then there's the trancey side of techno... dig deep into the underground my friend and you'll find all the trance you ever need.

ChrisHynds
09-07-2012, 12:11 AM
You know, I felt like this for a while. But then I found the dark underground progressive stuff... and psy. It's just endless awesomeness.

Check out Relaunch, for example. And Cosmithex. So original.. so progressive and still has that "journey" trance feeling. Beautiful.

Airwave is another good one of course, and John 00 Fleming... as for psytrance, Christopher Lawrence always brings it. And then there's the trancey side of techno... dig deep into the underground my friend and you'll find all the trance you ever need.

Yea Dark underground Prog, is where Im leaning toward, I dont know why but I have never really been lit up by Psy Trance, I know your huge on it, its not bad and I can listen to it but not enough to wanna spin it, Im looking for a sound similar to :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlUrPYwLlw

Ive been listening to a bit of Gai Barone and I love that atmospheric sound, to me I would call this Deep Prog House, any suggestions on artists labels that are similar as this is what I seem to be leaning towards, which in a way is similar to a lot of the coldharbour sounds.

Ohmega
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
This is more of a Dave Seaman sound to me, tried Audio Therapy, Bonzai, Wasabi and Lost Language yet? You could search for tracks the artists have done on the mentioned labels and find additional underrground labels. That's what I have been doing lateley since the EDM majors are so stale. This also has a Progressive Techno/Tech House feel to it so you might want to look at those genres. It's not all Detroit 303 if you know what you are looking for.