PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Stylus and Why

xyloft
09-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I know people are still DJing with Vinyl or even DVS. but it seems that stylii and "old fashioned" turntables jsut dont get talked about much on DJF 2.0. So, what's your favorite stylus?

I've been rocking M44-G's since i got my decks in 2005. I've had no reason to change. Sound quality is good for what I do, and when I scratch (clumsily) it tracks very well. I put about 2.7 g of pressure on them and the current set i have is about 3 years old. (definitely due for a new set, but these work pretty well still).

Paulie65m
09-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm always trying to get different stylus when I have extra money so far I like my whitelabels

All vinyl on techs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DJ Retro Blaze
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I mainly use Shure Whitelabels (http://www.shure.com/americas/products/phono/whitelabel-dj-record-needle) or Stanton Trackmasters (http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-cartridges/trackmasterv3.html) on my Stanton ST-150s.

Both cartridges are decent for mixing and moderate scratching with DVS or vinyl turntable setups. Overall, I am very happy with both cartridges.

DTR
09-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Audio Technica AT95Es. They sound better than any DJ cart I've ever heard and they track well enough for mixing. If I had to pick a DJ cart, either Shure M35Xs or Stanton 680s

Windows 95
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Shure M97XE for listening to 33s & 45s.
Shure M78S for listening to 78s.
Shure Whitelabel for mixing.
Shure M44-7 for scratching.

DJblaze
09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Q-Bert Ortofon CC for scratching and good groove visibility
Shure M44-7's because they are like tanks...

Estacy
09-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Ortofon Concorde PRO. simple, cheap, effiecent and good.

Replacement needles are cheap, and very strong. You won't break them easily.
Sound is great, the highs are pristine and the lows are slamming. Just like a DJ cart is supposed to sound. Upgrading to a more expensive Ortofon (nightclub) does not increase the soundquality enough to warrant the price increase.
They track great, at 2.5g they can perform well, without eating your vinyl. If you have a soft touch scratching at that weight is very possible. at 3g of course the tracking is better, but 2.5g works perfectly.
they are also a breeze to set up, just screw them in the tonearm and you're done. No headshell screws and distances to mess around with. It works everytime all the time.

The only downside is the flimsy arm, but it has held up fine so far

pete
09-09-2012, 06:34 AM
For daily use I have Blue Concorde cart with qbert stylus.
Gives me the balance of sound and record holding I require. The pink scratch carts seem better for scratching, but lose a little clarity.

For listening I have eliptical and parabolic hi-fi carts by Ortofon and EEI.

Nicadraus
09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I've owned different carts/needles from Stanton (680HP, 890SA, Trackmaster II) and Shure (M44-7, 44-G, 44-E, Whitelabel). But I decided to use the 44-7s paired with the original Technics Headshell. It suits my needs (straight mixing with a little scratching) the best. :tup: