PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Users - does anyone use disc stabilizers?

dlove
09-06-2012, 08:19 AM
such as this http://www.juno.co.uk/products/mukatsuku-carbon-bespoke-steel-record-disc-stabilizer-turntable-weight-record-clamp-juno-exclusive/431482-01/

some of my records are feeling a bit loose on the spindle; wondering if this would correct them? Cheers :tup:

Panotaker
09-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Those things are mostly used by audiophiles. They claim that they can hear the difference, with tighter bass and better highs. I have an audiophile system at the house, and I tried a weight on my records and couldn't hear any difference, your milage may vary. If you have a heavy enough weight, they do help to flatten out warp records. They do take a toll on the spindle bearing since it wasn't design to carry extra weight. A better choice is the spindle clamp sold by Kabusa. It actually grips the spindle, and then you tighten it down, it press the record down on the platter. So it doesn't wear out your spindle bearing. They work okay at home where you play an album and let it play till the end. It would get old pretty quick at a gig where you are changing records every couple of minutes, and I don't think they will slip too good on the slip mat either. If you really want to spend the big bucks, someone sells a record ring. It is basically a big heavy 12" ring that goes on the outside of the record. They really help with warped records since most records are warped on the outside edge. But last time I checked those record rings where pretty expensive, about $1300. If the whole in the center of your record is a little too big, the easiest way to fix that is to put a small piece of tissue paper over your spindle and then put the record on your spindle. The paper will fill in the gap.

dlove
09-07-2012, 06:27 AM
^^ excellent advice Panotaker, thanks - I'll try the tissue paper :tup:

DTR
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
I use sticky labels to tighten up the hole. The sort you used to get with cassette tapes. I take a strip, stick one half on the label, through the hole and stick the other half on the flipside. HTFR used to sell sheets of pre-cut stickers just for this sort of thing, but they stopped selling them years ago

dlove
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
^^ ah; I can see how that works, too. Cheers DTR :tup:

Nonyas
09-07-2012, 12:35 PM
yo ,very good advice,will def use :)