PDA

View Full Version : Numark IM1 and PC Line In

coppercitymt
09-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Greetings everyone, got a question. I have the Numark IM1 mixer routed to my PC line-in jack, I am worried about burning up the PC's line-in port by over driving it with the mixer. I have master volume on the mixer at 1/4th, the volume on my task bar at max, my speakers about about half way up. Is this right or will I burn up my PC's integrated sound card.

coppercitymt
09-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Anyone have any feedback or input!

pete
09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
The output from a DJ mixer can be a little hot for the line in on a PC soundcard, especially with any gain maxed on the mixer.
Remember the object of a mixer is to balance the sound of different channels. So if a channel is very quiet (i.e. worn out microgroove vinyl), the mixer should have enough power to boost it to normal level. Therfore they do have the ability to boost a normal level channel very very high indeed.

As a rule to follow:
Get a track on pfl. Check the level so it is peaking at 0db. Put the track to the master bus.
Go to your computer and check the level coming in using Audacity or some other audio program.
Set the master level on your mixer to make sure the level is peaking a few db under 0db (try -3 db).
Test again by playing both channels peaking at 0db and the crossfader in the middle.
Make sure it is not clipping (going over 0db into the reds).

Job done. Now your mixer and computer are set for recording, or using as your amplifier.
Get back if you have further questions.

coppercitymt
09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Very very helpful, thanks a bunch. At the settings I had, it was only peeking slightly over -12. Audacity is good little program it looks like. Make's recording off the turntable a breeze. Thanks again

The output from a DJ mixer can be a little hot for the line in on a PC soundcard, especially with any gain maxed on the mixer.
Remember the object of a mixer is to balance the sound of different channels. So if a channel is very quiet (i.e. worn out microgroove vinyl), the mixer should have enough power to boost it to normal level. Therfore they do have the ability to boost a normal level channel very very high indeed.

As a rule to follow:
Get a track on pfl. Check the level so it is peaking at 0db. Put the track to the master bus.
Go to your computer and check the level coming in using Audacity or some other audio program.
Set the master level on your mixer to make sure the level is peaking a few db under 0db (try -3 db).
Test again by playing both channels peaking at 0db and the crossfader in the middle.
Make sure it is not clipping (going over 0db into the reds).

Job done. Now your mixer and computer are set for recording, or using as your amplifier.
Get back if you have further questions.

pete
09-07-2012, 03:13 PM
yw

Note that its always better to go slightly quiet than slightly loud.
you can always boost and add audio compression to fatten up a weak sounding mix.
a distorted loud mix, will always sound nasty and distorted.