PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney 2012 (ROUND 1): Complex.ity vs n0ah !

Rek_Aviles
09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/DJFTranceTourny2012.jpg

ROUND 1

FILE 1 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/DJFTrance Tournament 2012 - Complex.ity vs n0ah-1.mp3)

FILE 2 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/DJFTrance Tournament 2012 - Complex.ity vs n0ah-2.mp3)

RULES:
30 minute mark. The final track of each mix must have started by the end minute mark listed below.
it is recommended that contestants use Mainstream Trance (Progressive, Vocal, Tech, Acid, Melodic, Epic) – however if you want to play harder GOA/Psy.-Trance you are more than welcome
Ghost votes do not count in the final score. In order for a vote to count, there must be a comment made by the voter and he/she must have over 50 confirmed posts on DJForums.com.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11940-Djf-2012-trance-tournament-rules-amp-entry-thread

**Will display users who voted, and what choice they voted for.**

JackStalk
09-05-2012, 06:25 PM
File 1: Loved the intro and everything up to about 5:30 when the energy just completely drops off. Recognized a few of the tracks, it's all my kind of trance. Literally, the tracks are straight off of my weekly podcasts which is awesome.

File 2: Loved the intro and first few tracks. Great transition and switchoff of energy around 1/5 of the way in. Track selection so far is excellent! The last few tracks were gold too, totally my style of music! This mix really sticks in my mind as one of my favorites, the DJ set a tone in the beginning and really delivers for a full 30 minutes. I can't really pick out anything I would make better at all.

Mix 2 definitely, really solid tracks and excellent beatmatching.

Ellissentials
09-06-2012, 05:03 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg

Mix 1: ◄PLAY► Nice spacey opening...I like the atmosphere it creates. Alright, there's a vocal.. let's see what it has for me. Love the tone of it, and the meaning the words are portraying. I'm noticing some elating, side chained synths in the background, that are "alright." Great piano breakdown in this track :) 5:24, mix in point I assume? 5:42 I start to notice it drifting...5:54 very quick mix into breakdown. Actually saved it in this case. 6:26 LOVE this sound. Big bass with the vocal! 8:08 really enjoying this bassline. Very good production value in this track, and I don't think the vocal is "over the top".. quite nice. 12:40, very nice. I found 13:02 - 13:12 to be a bit odd of a transition, but it still worked just fine. Enjoy this vocal as with the rest so far. @17:00 in I'm realizing I'm not diggin these synths or the pads very much at all. I enjoy the powerful kick, bassline and nice vocals tho, but the synths are killing it for me. 18:42, notice the bassline of new track, along with some tonal clashing. Key is off from outgoing track to this one. Beatmatched very good, just not quite right. 19:54 .. wooo loving this vocal with the background sounds! Everything sounds wonderful on this breakdown. Goose... bumps! @20:23 I'm hoping these newly introduced sounds don't overwhelm and get cheesy. Ohh nice it did not.. very playful synth lines here, no too shabby sounding. I hear 22:20 second breakdown of track and I feel I HAVE to mention I'm loving this tune. This vocal is so so nice. Yep, this track has my head going. Mix in point, 22:45 ... by 22:52 it requires a nudge and doesn't seem to get one.. oh there it is. 23:41.. doesn't work. Phrase matching is off / beat slightly off and this track does not work with the mix I don't believe, but I DO love this track. 24:00 you're starting to give up on the blend and 24:08 it's just out, and we're left missing some EQ in the higher range. I have this track and do enjoy it a lot, but I really don't think it fits your set. 27:39 next track is coming in, and it seems out of key already, tho in good time. 27:46, yeah this doesn't work too great together. 28:12 is quite off all around, no offense obviously. 28:25 next track is fully in, and doesn't seem to fit well in your set either, at least not after that last track. Also, I don't fully enjoy the lyrics / sound structure of this track. 29:55 I'm realizing how much I enjoy this piano and as it progresses I DO really really like this vocal against the piano. 31:30 it's back to being a very odd sounding track, but I really do want to enjoy it. 32:28 it's not so bad.. enjoy this, but man the producer of this track did a very odd composition! Like, 34:25 and on.. some ODD echoy effects that are not in time. I'm assuming that's producer and not you...it seems to sound like at least. Nice mixset overall. I review it exactly as my brain thinks about it while I'm listening, so if this reads hard, I'm sorry.

Mix 2: ◄PLAY► Very "in my face" mid-range bass hit right off. Was that from lack of full kill, or the way it was produced? 0:15 .. woo already a very massive hitting sound! 0:45.. oh my, this is going to get crazy isn't it? What a hard hitting track then sick piano in the breakdown at 2:35ish. 4:57 wow crazy track with this build and drop.. nice incoming in here too. 5:30 and everything is sounding on, and in key. 5:56.. ya lost me kind of. Everything worked, but a total loss of the outgoing track was abrupt to me. STILL, I'm being picky, and just mentioning what I'm thinking. Nice Tracks so far...tho synths in this Breakdown are just "alright" for me. 10:24, new track in and shortly after bass starts drifting away too much in my opinion. Loss of energy slightly, but it is gone as soon as track fully takes over and drops at 10:54. This... this is a killer sound at the moment! Great energy and driving bass in this. Got my head moving, cheers. 11:13.. am I noticing a "trailing kick" from outro or something?? Or is this how the track was produced? 14:00.. moving right along, killer sounds in here. Very driving, great flow. 15:30, abrupt mix in but ya know what? It worked very well I think! This is really moving the flow and energy of the mix. +1 cool point for keeping the pressure up and going aggressive. Head still is in motion at the computer, so you got 2 tracks in a row demanding my attention. 17:50, delicious breakdown in this track. 20:25 I notice new track coming in, and I think I noticed a "baby sitting" kind of nudge, because it was lined right back off soon as it went even slightly off. When the track fully drops in, there's no key clash, but I do think you "fought" with this mix a little more than the rest so far. 21:23, slightly recognize some energy from the hi-hats and other percussive elements from the last track are now working their way out quickly, but this does not ruin the overall flow and energy of the mix. I sure do enjoy this track along with the last couple, there's no doubt there. 25:35 was the time the track dropped back in from the break, and you used this as your mix in point. I heavily noticed it, so maybe a slight bit less energy in the first few moments on the initial mix in would've helped "smooth" the transition in? Just my $0.02. BUT, man when this track fully drops in at 26:06 I go b.a.n.a.n.a.s.!!! Very awesome sounds! Oh heck yes, this track is just wonderful! I'm fully rocking out right now, hats off. 28:52, just really want to mention again how much I'm enjoying this last track.. so .. good! 30:26 till the very end, I do not agree with. I think it was a horrid way to leave it off, especially with all that energy!! lol, and I'm just saying it like this, because you just frustrated me! Let it run out, or do a longer fade out or something I dunno... grr! :lol:

Well, the winner of this match is Mix 2. Longer blends, without key / tonal clash and overall better flow to the mix.

Mix 2 for me.

g-sep
09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I gave these 2 a listen earlier this evening. Gonna go over them again tomorrow after work and give my final verdict. Enjoyed both of them though!

DJ Nutty
09-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Mix 1

Straight into some beats, prefer a nice intro track.
Mix into 2nd track went ok, but then feels like it just suddenly slows down mid mix.
Quite nice track tho this one now.
Pretty good mix into next track. Another female vocal track :)
Next transition pretty solid, but sounded very slightly off tonally. Minor
A bit abrupt the next transition, but instantly recognised it :)
Last track seems to go really quiet, not what you'd expect towards the end of a set.

Good mix, loved the track selection and progression until the end when it went very low energy.

Mix 2

Big buildup intro, lets see where it goes. Quite nice driving beats when it gets going.
Transition was timed well, and it was all good, but didn't seem to flow for me.
Beat energy seems to drop out prior to next transition.
Next transition works a bit better for me. Picking the pace up a bit now.
Pretty smooth into next one.
Smooth drop into next it sounded like.

Pretty good mix, a few too many big room anthemy type tracks for my liking tho. But pretty solid all in all.

Pretty similar in terms of standard IMO, but different styles. Its marginal, but mix 1 pips it for me in set progression and better blends.

RikkiGTR
09-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Mix 1 - I'm loving this right from the start, the intro grabbed my attention immediately. I'm sitting here hoping this style keeps up!
5:27 I think the next track started to come in? And was 'there' at 5:55... Smooth transition. Nice. I like this track as well.
12:43 Again, I think the next transition started there? Was quite quick just like the previous one if I'm not mistaken, but very smooth so it's difficult to tell when it came in. Obviously this is a good thing.
I could actually 'hear' the next transition happening more clearly this time, especially at 18:58, but that just added to my anticipation. Another nice mix. Loving this at 21:20, trying to drink coffee and spilling it around myself :D
I nearly had an orgasm at 23:45... "Rank 1 -Airwave" This track has so much meaning and memories for me. I don't even know if the mix was good or smooth and I don't care. This is epic personified.
I'm curious to see (obviously hear) where you go from here. 27:30 onwards I feel the next track is starting, but this mix sounds a bit messy compared to the rest of the set.

Overall - I enjoyed the mix. Nearly all the transitions were smooth, and there were some nice song choices, as well as Airwave! That took me by surprise, I absolutely love it. And I mean LOVE as much as it's possible to love a piece of music.
That last mix did sound a bit messy for me, but didn't totally spoil the set. Nothing could bring me down from Airwave anyway :love:

Mix 2 - Another great intro. No fucking about; let's dance :slayer:
4:57 can I hear a wee bit of mid/treble from the next track? 5:56, nice mix, keeping up with the punchy bass here. 7:07 I love this, and again at 9:00+ (PM me a track ID please!)
10:30 can hear the next transition starting. Built up nicely, good transition. I like this track as well, although the bass drop at around 13:35 was a bit lighter than I was expecting after that build-up.
15:30, that next track sneaked in there nicely, very smooth. I like this track, actually I'm really enjoying around the 19:30 mark...
21:22 Fantastic transition into the next track. Both tracks blended very well.
26:06 another great transition. Don't recognise the track (yet) but the mix was superb. Nah I don't know this track at all but I love that pumping bass. Gets the juices flowing.

Overall - can't fault the mixing at all, nice track choices, kept a really good flow and there was no jumping about styles. Genuinely brilliant set.

Voting - Gads this is TOUGH. Honestly guys, no matter who I vote for here I'll feel like I should've voted the other way so I'm sorry in advance.
Both mixes were different, both were superb. I really enjoyed basically every minute of both mixes. I don't know who to vote for :uhoh:
Mix 1 had lighter, vocally Trance that I really like (plus Airwave that I utterly adore). Mix 2 was more pumping, a bit harder, but I love that as well.

I'm voting for Mix 1. But it really is a coin toss :(

login
09-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Mix 1

First transition is pretty good, and the music gets more groovy. 2md amd thrid transitions are good also, but little variety in sounds and overall vibe.
4th transition solid as well. Intro to last track is epic, I like the feeling of the Piano-Voice long break. Overall I found the mix a little plain with no surprises or ups and downs.

mix 2

Hard intro, pretty much in your face "lets get moving" track. The change in to track twoo is a little abrupt in a bad way because it changes the vibe a lot to very modern electro sound.
3rd transition good, this tracks conserves more the vibe of the previous one and it flows well. Overall i felt the theme of this mix were leads, it has coherence some tracks were a little more electro vibe but it helped to be more dynamic.

My vote is for mix 2

ChrisHynds
09-09-2012, 10:37 PM
MIX 1-

Intro - Very nice vocal track to open the set, Cerf Mitiska and Jaren - Another World (Shogun Remix) I just bought this recently, nice choice.

Mix 1 - Very short transition time on this one, beatmatching was fine, phrasing was cool, just not much actual live mixing time, seemed a little rushed. all clean tho

Another vocal track, very mellow, not exciting me much here. main breakdown is very meh,

Mix 2 - Very similar to your first transition, everything is clean and tidy just very short live mixing time, not a big fan of this but it works, also the problem I have with all this commercial 2.0 Trance is the drop sounds very empty and dead, just a bare beat, kinda kills a lot of the energy in the transition, 3rd vocal track in a row.

Mix 3 - Again clean and tidy, longer blend this time, nice, phrasing is solid so far, eq work sounds fine, fingers crossed its not another vocal, :facepalm: think this is an armin track not sure either way Im not really diggin it,

Mix 4 - Could be the incoming tracks hats but it sounds like something is very slightly off with the beat matching, bit of a key clash on the eq switch, the two basslines are off key, also a very noticeable drop out from the Armin track,

Mix 5 - Not sure what happend here tbh, everything went to shit on this one, Airwave played out way too much then the incoming track just popped up from nowhere and well off key.

Wrapping up on Mix 1 - You had the basics for most of the set, beatmatching, eq and phrasing seemed ok for most, a few obvious key clashes in the back end of the set, the tracklist really didnt do anything for me, very mellow and scattered, not much energy or direction to the set. I dont want to come across like a dick but It just didnt do much for me.

Ok Mix 2 -

Intro - Khoma - The Dark Knight :) Ive used this for one of my recent shows, banging track for an intro, interested to see where you go from here. This is one of my Top 5 tracks atm, coldharbour baby :) What a drop, I love this track :)

Mix 1 - hmm, I see what you where going for here, coming in early with the mix and the Markus Schulz-Rotunda track is sick but Im not sure the mix worked that well, I know this track well and I know its a bastard to mix into because of the energy loss on the drop, your beatmatching was ok phrasing was ok but it dropped into a big loss of energy, the build up from The Dark Knight was huge and when Rotunda dropped it went flat, great tracks so far tho, right down my street :)

Mix 2 - Comes in clean and tidy on beatmatching, sounds like you cut the low end out too early from Rotunda, everything was lined up well but the eq-ing sounded off, another Coldharbour track :) Markus remix on Loops & Tings classic :)

Mix 3 - Nice, building up over the breakdown, I use this transition a lot, works well imo, helps create a good energy flow into the next track, best transition so far, another Coldharbour track I have this one somewhere, Mr Pitt???, I see a pattern here :)

Mix 4 - Going for the same transition as previous, again I like the idea here but I think this could have been executed much better, everything was lined up well, better eq-ing could have made this transition much smoother, good energy again, sticking with another Coldharbour track. Great Big room sound :)

Mix 5 - Unmistakable synth from Ummet Ozcan, mix into this track was ok, Im not huge on this track, I think its too repetitive but it fits your set very well,

Wrapping up In terms of mixing I think your set was similar to Mix 1, there were elements that could have been tighter, Your beatmatching was fine and so was your phrasing, your eq-ing let you down in a few spots,

Ok so, both mixes were similar in technical ability in my opinion, both had a few little flaws that could be easily fixed. so Im going to base it on which set would have got me rockin harder? The fact that Mix 2 was pretty much a Coldharbour tribute ( I hope you didnt steal this idea from me) :P had me sold from the start, Im going to go with mix 2, If I was in a club and both of these sets were played I would be going ape shit with mix 2, apart from he opening track in Mix 1 nothing else stood out.

I vote MIX 2

Delta V
09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Sorry for lack of long comments I was watching football at the same time :/

Mix 1: Wasn't really feelin the first few tracks, not a fan of the vocals. Mixing was alright, except around airwave there. Overall left me feelin meh. Like Login nothing really stood out for me.

Mix 2: Great intro tune, first mix felt a bit wonky. After that it was great, lot of drop & classic electro redo type stuff, you got a good sound and flow going now.

Going with mix 2, I think the mixing was a lot better and it had a good sense of where it was going.

tekno_violet
09-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Complex.ity vs n0ah

Mix 1:

Nice intro track... hoping you follow through with another goodie. Nice mix into next track, like the riddim of this track, also good stuff into track 3.
Eeeek more vocals, hopefully she doesn't sing too much.
Im not losing the vibe so good stuff to that..Cheers for throwing the classic in.
Great mixing all around, maybe work on EQ'in like all of us and ease up on vocals. I enjoyed it.

Mix 2.

Ah yes, a different style, nice intro, liking the mood im in. Great mixing and really good set planning.
Mid way through mix and Im digging it so far... mixing style is a nice change too. Was Waiting for a crazy out of place track but it didn't happen so props there.
Haven't heard any of those tracks or even style of trance but I liked it alot.
Very well made set with no eff up's.

Again with 2 good mixes.
I have to go with Mix 2 though as it sounds more professionally done, skill wise and selection wise.

Great work gentleman. Now go have a beer or something.

I said go have a beer!

Sedna
09-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Mix 1 - Had a listen on my commute. Very vocally, which is a bit tough on the ears for me after a while... I like more tunes than vocals =) Mixing wasn't bad, eq'ing could use a little work. I liked Airwave, solid choice there. Mix out of airwave lost some energy though. Overall this mix wasn't too shabby but I'd like a little less vocals and a little more structure.

Mix 2 - This mix had a kinda couldharbourey sound to it, which I like. Opening with Dark Knight is bangin... mix into Rotunda lost some energy. I know this next song too... good track and good mix. Love the euphoric breakdown. Mix goes on. I heard loops & tings in there as well. Ended with a couple techy mixes that I really liked... love late mix techyness. The Box is usually a track I play earlier, but this was a solid placement too. Really adds some power to the mix and makes the listeners feel like grooving.

Mix 2 for sure.

Ohmega
09-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Alright simple grading system, (1=Crap, 5=Awesome)
Mix 1
• Intro: 2
• Track Selection: 3
• Track Count: 3
• Mixing/Transitions: 3
• Gain/Eq/FX: 2
• Outro: 3
Lots of vocals and a few slips on transitions, gain structure needed more drive (seemed quiet)
Mix 2
• Intro: 2
• Track Selection: 4
• Track Count: 4
• Mixing/Transitions: 4
• Eq/FX: 3
• Outro: 3
Synopsis: Missing some good lead ins with the intros from both mixes. Mix 2 had a better set direction overall and the audio sounded much cleaner. Going with mix 2 here!

M!TCH
09-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Will listen to tonight. I know it is closed but I want to provide feedback.

Mix 1: I'm digging the smooth intro track. Loving this mix. Working on another valuation project right now but transitions up to 12 minutes are spot on. Excellent mix, the track structure really flowed well and I loved the tunes you picked. Track ID?

Mix 2: Not my favorite intro (more so after listening to mix 1 than it being a bad track to start off with). Mix around 10:34 wasn't my favorite transition. Got a bit too quite. Enjoyed this mix quite a bit.

Going to have to give it to Mix #1.

n0ah
09-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Voting is over, so I will go ahead and ID for you guys. I mix mix #2. Thanks a lot guys!

1. KhoMha - The Dark Knight
2. Markus Schulz-Rotunda
3. Markus Schulz vs Ferry - Loops & Tings
4. Elevation vs Grube & Hovsepian - City of Angels (BEat Service Remix)
5. Fisherman & Hawkins - Nightshift
6. Ummet Ozcan - The Box

Complex.ity
09-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Battle rescheduled to end Saturday...

g-sep
09-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Even though voting is over, I'll still give you guys my thoughts. Sorry about the delay, just life got in the way, but it's all gravy now.

Mix 1: Nice intro, coming in with some quick beats, spacey feel with some vocals. Next track took it a little darker. It kind of goes up and down like this for me throughout the whole mix. Mixing was spot on though.

Mix 2: Like mix 1, right in with some beats. Next track kept up with the energy of the previous. Love whats going on at 12:55. And a big ole' track to finish off the mix. Mixing was spot on on this one too.

Mix 2 is gonna get my vote, I just listened to it more since I've downloaded it.