PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney 2012 (ROUND 1): G-Sep-vs-DeltaV !

Rek_Aviles
09-03-2012, 10:46 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/DJFTranceTourny2012.jpg

ROUND 1

FILE 1 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/DJFTrance Tournament 2012 - G-Sep-vs-DeltaV-1.mp3)

FILE 2 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/DJFTrance Tournament 2012 - G-Sep-vs-DeltaV-2.mp3)

RULES:
30 minute mark. The final track of each mix must have started by the end minute mark listed below.
it is recommended that contestants use Mainstream Trance (Progressive, Vocal, Tech, Acid, Melodic, Epic) – however if you want to play harder GOA/Psy.-Trance you are more than welcome
Ghost votes do not count in the final score. In order for a vote to count, there must be a comment made by the voter and he/she must have over 50 confirmed posts on DJForums.com.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11940-Djf-2012-trance-tournament-rules-amp-entry-thread

**Will display users who voted, and what choice they voted for.**

Sedna
09-06-2012, 11:49 AM
This one is next on my list!

JackStalk
09-06-2012, 03:45 PM
File 1: I thought the mix was great up until about a quarter of the way through when the energy almost completely dropped out and built back up again. The quality sounded a little lower compared to file #2. 19:19 was a messy mix, could hear both tracks clicking together. Through 25 minutes, the track selection was pretty safe and I feel few risks were taken.

File 2: Started off great, and really had tight beatmatching and smooth mixing throughout. I really chilled out to this one. Loved the melody at 24:00ish and ended with such an epic track! I really love this final track and MUST HAVE the remixer ID. As soon as I heard the synth line I was like OMG YES! Seriously, I need to know who mixed that, it's going in my playlist.

File 2 gets my vote, excellent track selection and near perfect mixing.

Ellissentials
09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg

Mix 1: ◄PLAY► Enjoy the opening of this first track. Here's a vocal, not too shabby. 4 mins in, not bad so far, but nothing that really has me going. Not diggin this first transition's intro.. didn't quite seem to fit until around 7:06. Till then, it seemed slightly off and out of place, but now it seems to be going decent. 10:53.. transition was great till this point, then they go off for a little bit but overall you held onto it. Drop at 11:18, you should have had the slip fixed by there or just dropped it out in my opinion, but overall nice track choice here. 15:14 new track mix in point.. everything seems on, and decently mixed. Not feeling this track as much as the last tracks. 17:30, definitely not my style of Trance...not horrible what-so-ever, just not my flavor. 18:28 is next mix in point.. I hear you starting to slowly fight with it at 19:06. Then is a bit off until 19:24.. but there was an odd energy drop created here. 20:30.. good bit off. 20:51.. things are starting to take off and I do enjoy the sound of this. 21:20; being bold and holding it together best you can. Not a bad track, very interesting synths for sure. Transition at 25:00 was alright, bit of an energy loss after. Not feeling these synths. Last transition is messy, but the track sounds decent enough coming in. 31:00 pretty nice breakdown in the track. Oh and by the way, you were mixing well past the 30 minute mark.. your track isn't out in time. :( Last track also has a lot of synths that aren't to my liking.

Mix 2: ◄PLAY► Vocal into intro got my attention right off. Very "spacey" and laid back sounds to start. This vocal and the amazing sound in this to start is just great! 2:38, I think I'm physically floating off my chair right now, amazing! 4:54, new track is mostly in and working on taking over. Wonderful matching and flow here. Nice long blend for sure. Oh I see what you did there >.> Tricky tricky :) 8:09 etc, great stuff. Nice filter fx...subtle but elegant. 8:48 new track working its way in...I thought?(I have a feeling you're doing a lot actually.. are you playing with loops and segments? Or is it just the energy created by the producer(s)?) 10:43, punch in new track.. quite on beat, but maybe a "itty nudge" off (to critique) 11:13.. Head starts nodding massively, and I get goosebumps. Heck yes sir, hats off. :tup: 11:42 full on musical boner, loving it! 14:38, great stuff working along here. The flow and structure of this mix is top notch so far. 15:50 - 16:04 was a bit odd and then the drop was slightly "odd" as well. Can't quite explain. Loss of lowend or drive or energy for a moment? Not sure because at 16:34 everything is back full on awesome again. 19:57 seemed like it was your mix in point (32 bars away then repeated or 64 bars away) into track being noticeable at 20:55 (hi-hat intro duction) and I notice a bit of a key clash with incoming track to outgoing track. These are not quite in proper key, but not too bad of a transition. Not as splendid as your last bits. 21:55, new track is full on and I'm loving it every bit as much as all the other tracks in this, I'm really digging the tracklist. 24:09ish, I'm quite digging this entire breakdown. I get nostalgia from the tones and everything I'm hearing in this. 25:47 was probably mix in point, if not next phrase after. Everything is lined up great, so it's hard to tell. 26:57.. here's the new track and it goes hand in hand with the previous track. Great job. Wow, this is a great sounding tune so far! 29:10... annnnd lost me. Not a fan of these synths right here, but I reallllly enjoy the rest of the track. 30:10 the track wins me back over when the vocal comes back in with minimally, lower toned synth.

Winner for me this round is Mix 2. Good battle gents! :tup:

tekno_violet
09-08-2012, 03:50 AM
G-sep vs DeltaV

mix1

Like the vibe but not the best intro track for a 30min mix i reackon. too much time getting into to track 2. 11:15 area i liked, next couple of transitions worked well.
The 10.15 area was a good mix..19.20 was throwing my vibe off with the chosen track. Last half of mix had a nice tempo and ended with a good track..
Im just wondering about key clashes with this mix..?Last track cut it pretty close with time.. would have liked a longer mix with previous tracks in order to cut out last track.

mix2

sick opening, little too harsh on mixing on to second song.liking where the second
track is going, sweet second track, wondering where its gonna go but gets cut off
too quick.
Loved the choice in trance selection. Great music, mixing was a tad too abrupt in
some places but still good.
16.20 area of mixing was legit. Loved the transition and shift around 21.20, good
stuff.27.00 area mix was also well done but im sure you wern"t 100% happy with it
yourself.
Solid mix, exactly what Im looking for skill and selection wise, good shit.

Great stuff fellas. Everything i commented on is in my opinion and perpective so no biggie..
Another tough call.
Both had pros and cons and skill was pretty on par with each other but I'll have to go with Mix 2, the selection and vibe suits me best.

Sweet battle!

DJ Nutty
09-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Mix 1

Straight into some simple beats. Nice lovely bassline when it kicks in tho.
Decent transition, nice blending going on. Cant tell if there some beat match issues because track1 on its own sounds cloppy anyway.
The next transition doesn't work for me. The rythm of the two tracks dont gel for me.
Transition into next track worked well, pretty seamless.
Quite an energy drop at 19:30 ish.
Cant tell if these are track changes, or transitions going on towards 20-21 minutes.
Pretty good change into next track around 25 min mark.
A little bit clippy-cloppy at 29 minute mark ish.

Good solid mix, a few tightness issues on the beatmatching, but job done!

Mix 2

Big vocal track to start off with.
Smooth transition into next track. Not sure how well the tracks went tho. Quite a change up.
Next transition was flawless for me.
Really starting to get into the groove for this now.
Again cant find any faults later on.
Oo big hit of bass at 21:24.. Sounds like its gearing up.
Transition at 27 mins seemed slightly abrumpt compared to the others.

Really solid mixing and blending there, set stepped it up towards the end. God job.

I am going for Mix2, I thought the mixing was alot tighter, some nice long blends going on, and it really stepped it up
towards the end of the mix.

Complex.ity
09-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Mix 1:

Starting things off straight to the point! Starting off with Open Your Heart! Absolutely adore Tiff Lacey! 5:14: I take it those claps are from the next song coming in? Doesn't fit that well at that quiet point of the track. Noticed it was playing for quite a while but it really stood out at that point. You probably already know this though :). Not badly mixed at all! Nice almost seamless mix! Sounded like the track incoming could be a little tighter but still good!
~9:14: Whoa, digging this track right here! Okay we're getting that energy level up now!
Okay this transition is better than the last forsure! Good phase and beat-match. This track seems like something from like Ben Gold or Sied van Riel! Definitely feeling this! Definitely an energy booster! I'm loving the progression in this mix! Spent a bit of time on the tracklist yes? :)
Okay another good transition! Beat-matched and phased well! Sticking with this kind of trance. It's forced energy for the most part but I still like it! ~16:50: Lol kind of random pad for this type of track. I'd think that pads should be more warmer for this type of track. It doesn't have as much energy as the last one.
~19:07: Incoming track needed a little bit of a bump. Still phased well and smooth transition. Not bad, just beat-matching could be a bit tighter. Okay this track has a bit more energy than the previous one. I take it the previous track was more for feeling because you go for more melodic after going to darker trance. This track is quite nice though. ~23:12 HUUGE sub bass! Whoa.
Noticing another track coming in fairly quickly. Phasing was great and beat-matching was a bit off but I think you could've left the high frequencies of the previous track unless it was ending. Sounded a little bit abrupt but it's fine. Oh wow, I'm feeling this track! The breakdown is going to be massive! ~28:25: BOOM! Rocking out to this one! Okay noticing another track coming in. Getting close to the 30 min mark so had to bring it in fairly quickly and started a little bit off on the mid kick. Working on it though and on top of it. ~30:25 Aww, lost it a bit but saved it. Your phasing is definitely good but just keep your beat-matching a little tighter. ~32:00: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT! WOW! That part just brought shivers! Absolutely loving this pluck! Soo much delay too! Huge track sir! Fantastic choice to close with this track!

I really do enjoy this mix! Transitions were pretty much smooth and going for the seamless transitions by blending the tracks together. Beat-matching could've been a little bit tighter but was still fine. Tracklist was awesome! Loving the way you built the energy! Not going to count that one track that kind of dropped the energy because I think you were adding more feeling to your mix so overall, it definitely did flow and your story made sense! Great mix man! Now on to Mix #2! Let me see what you got!

Mix #2:

Okay starting out with amazing vocals! Straight away, I'm feeling it! Very euphoric opening track and really set the tone. I'm praying to the trance gods that you stick with this! ~3:55: I was thinking there was another track coming in and now I am pretty sure there is another track coming in now! Very good transition! It was litterally seamless! Big boost in energy with that moving bassline! ~7:12: Chills! That pad is sooo warm too! ~8:04: I had to rewind this back. It's the song I guess? Whoa. That surprised the hell out of me! Thought you threw another song on the drop lol! Sounded like W&W for a second!
Another great transition man! I can't say anything bad about these transitions honestly! Holds the energy, well beat-matched and just basically flawless. Okay you're going toward a lot darker trance. Still euphoric with nice sweeping pads but big room sounds! Energy really picked up very quickly I must say.
Another smooth transition buddy! I'm liking this track! Niice, this track has a lot of feeling! Very bouncy track.
~21:24: Cleaannnn!
~27:00: I see where you were going with it but your other transitions were way better. Okay a remix of Lights by Ellie Goulding! A very progressive one at that! Not a bad choice to close with this!

Okay this mix was just fantastic! I can't really say anything bad about this mix. I would say the way you started, I admit I was a little disappointed you didn't stick with very uplifting type of trance because I was really digging that opening but the mix flowed very well together! Tracklist and the way you arranged it flowed great!

Alright wow. I must admit, I hate voting because these are just tough! I really liked the feeling and vibes in Mix #1! Mix #2's transitions were just flawless and the blending was on point! I have to go with Mix #2 because the transitions were just incredible! I honestly liked the story told in Mix #1 more and a few less surprises than Mix #2 where I had to rewind to listen to again because I just asked myself "What the hell?" This one in particular was tough to vote but Mix #2, you have my vote. Going to go check if both have a soundcloud or something and will definitely follow both of you and am very excited for your guys' future work! Great job you 2! Put up a hell of a battle!

n0ah
09-09-2012, 11:02 PM
EDIT: Somehow my mix 1 review got deleted...

Mix 2: Like the into so far, nice chill vocally track. 3 mins, i think I heard the next track coming in, but I'm not sure. 4:26 ok theres some new sounds. Loved that transition, silky smooth. Liking the second track so far, nice progression. 11:28 transition was great as well. Got some big room tech trance sounds coming in. I know this one :P Love love loveee this track. 15:26 I hear the next track coming in nicely. Nice long transition, sounds good so far. 16:05 next track takes over, outro of first track, good work. Not a huge fan of this track so far, fairly boring. 21:05, key on this one is definetly off, and it makes for a not perfect transition, but it's still beat matched and phrased perfectly. This track is a little boring for me as well, but it fits the same style as the rest do for sure. 26:20, last transition coming in it sounds like. 27:00, last track is in. Sounding similar than the rest, ohhh it's lights! My god this song is old, but it's getting really popular lately. Tons of remixes out for it. Very proggy sound to this, I'm curious what mix it is? I would love to get my hands on the Grube and hosephian remix.

Mix 2 is the winner here.

Sedna
09-10-2012, 04:00 AM
Mix 1 - Like the chill vibe throughout the mix, but I have some qualms with the mixing at parts. It seems there's quite a few beatmatching problems here and there, some more major than others. I really like a few of the songs I've heard though. Unfortunately I felt a bit of an energy drop in one of the ending mixes, though. Overall this had my head bobbing in my car, but I had a few breaks where the mix felt a bit uneasy too.

Mix 2 - Starts off huge with the vocals. Ah, really liked the mix out of the track. I'm not huge into the electro-bassline trance type stuff, but that worked well. Taking the energy up again in the next mix, I feel it going in the right direction. Now it's feeling much more rolly, energy building quite nicely again. Hmm, taking it a bit more euphoric in the next mix it seems, but I like it, a nice breather. Feels more journey-ish as well. Ending with an interesting mix of that weird radio song that I hear all the time. I didn't mind it. Not bad.

Mix 2 is the winner here.

RikkiGTR
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Right, going to get through this final battle now guys. I'm busy with a lot of stuff around the house here so I'm going to turn it up and blare it while I work!
I probably won't add really detailed feedback (time checked) because I can't sit at the computer right now. I'm sorry! I will try to add as much as I can and/or stop here and there to write. I will listen right through each though.
EDIT - yeah I sat my ass down. This was too good to miss.

Mix 1 - I like intros that don't keep me waiting. Good start.
This first track is beautiful.
Next track coming in now, keeping the same style going, excellent. Like the sound of this too.
Mixing was very nice again, not too sure about this track though. Bit of a strange melody to it.
Did a transition happen there about 16:00? Was very smooth if so and I like the sound of this track (I'm back and forward to the PC here like a mad man).
I'm actually loving the energy throughout this mix. Not recognising any of the tracks, but its got a very sweaty dancefloor/middle of the night vibe to it.
23:11 aaaahhhh.... reminds me of midnight, Kelly's, Portrush. Epic. Body bopping here.
Next track is as funky as fuck. That is all.
Reaching for the sky at 28:30. This is superb!
Tears at 32:00... amazing.
You have hit the "Trance" nail on the head here. I NEED to know the name of this track. I'm serious. I NEED THIS TRACK ID! :argh:

Overall - Just sublime. That 3rd track was not enjoyable at all for me, but who gives a fuck when the rest of the mix was just monstrously Trance in every way? Loved it. Best mix I've heard so far. Without question.

Mix 2 - Mother of God, this is starting out brilliantly as well! Another half hour like Mix 1 and I'm getting a babysitter :D
Can't believe I left this battle to last. This is gorgeous stuff.
And then that chunky drop just before 5:00. Faaacking hell this is wonderful. Keep it up!
Epic synth time here now. Dirty bass at 8:15, this is bad ass.
I recognise that at 9:20 but can't think of a name. The melody is so fresh and energetic, I love it!

*fuck me this is shaping up into a tough battle* :uhoh: and :slayer:

11:16 interesting direction... From synthy and melodic, straight into this phat bass.
13:00 I'm getting chills of anticipation. Don't let me down!...
14:37 get in. God I love this more than my own mother.
18:15 don't tease me.
19:57 totally worth it.
Another majestic track at 22:25. It just keeps getting better...
This is lovely at around 28:00+

Overall - This was great as well. Mixing was flawless as far as I could hear. Track choice was great, flowed beautifully. Damn it, I have to actually choose here?

Voting - Christ on a bike I'm stumped. Both of these mixes were exceptional. By far the most enjoyable battle of this round for me.
I choose NOT to choose! No? Oh all right. Umm... honestly I'm not doing the whole X-Factor "drag out the drama intentionally" thing here; there is no clear winner in my mind.
I can't offer any reason not to vote for either mix. They were both exactly the sort of mix I would listen to again and again.

I'm voting for mix 1 but only because I have to pick one or the other. Whoever owns mix 2, I apologise, there was nothing whatsoever wrong with your mix. I just have to pick a number here :(

Ohmega
09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Alright simple grading system, (1=Crap, 5=Awesome)

Mix 1
• Intro: 3
• Track Selection: 5
• Track Count: 4
• Mixing/Transitions: 3.5
• Gain/Eq/FX: 3
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz266/DJOhmega77/good.jpg
• Outro: 3

Mix 2
• Track Selection: 4
• Track Count: 4
• Mixing/Transitions: 4
• Eq/FX: 0 Analyzed in Pro-Tools, Wavelab, Peak Studio and I see flat waveforms peaking everywhere and RMS values beyond standard playback guidelines. Learn how to record bro!!!!! Look at this...seriously!?! 30 minutes of clipping, there is something called dynamics. This looks like a Skrillex track.
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz266/DJOhmega77/badwave.jpg
• Outro: 3

Overall both sets were good program wise, some phase flaws with mix 1, some gain issues with mix 2. However; I enjoyed mix 2 more even though the gain was a ballistic missle. I have to go with mix 1 based on audio engineering standards.

ChrisHynds
09-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Ok Im really tight for time here so Im just gonna quick point on these last few mixes,

I listened to both of these while training in the gym so I never had the luxury of time to sit down with my headphones as usual, hence the brief summary

Im going with mix 2 - the mix had a better flow and felt like it was mixed tighter, the track selection worked better, and there were no stand out transitions. Mix 1 had a few slight beat matching drifts that I noticed.

M!TCH
09-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I'll have some time tonight to listen to these. I know that they are closed but I still want to give feedback.

login
09-11-2012, 07:13 PM
mix 1

Intro very spaced with vocals that builds energy slowly, the transition is into a more soft tune getting impatient for more energy...but actually it creates tension, the mood is quite nostalgic here. 2nd transition into a more uplifting song, but sound doesnt appeal me that much. The following two tracks are more instesting but neither build up energy. The following track has more energy and its the climatic moment of the mix. The last track has some energy also but not over the top.

• Track Selection: 3
• Mixing/Transitions: 4
• Eq/FX: 4
• Outro: 4

mix 2

The intro track is kind of pop/new age stuff, reminds me of enya. Next track has very hard bassline and leads very in to electro territory, there are some acid elements but doesnt flow very well. Transition is solid and it works well with the Next track, this one has a more heavy vibe, hope it starts a transition in the mix while it conserves the heavy melodic content. Following transition is pretty smooth and long I like it a lot. with a more groovy bassline. Atrsnition at 21 is also smooth but the track didnt go well with the previous one, much more relaxed and less driving. Also the vocals had dissapeared from the mix so they didn't quite fit it overall.Last track went in the same direction more mellow still.

• Intro: 2
• Track Selection: 3
• Mixing/Transitions: 3
• Eq/FX: 3
• Outro: 2

My vote is for mix 1

g-sep
09-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for taking the time out to vote everyone!! I know I havn't been keeping track the past week, been busy and such. Repped everyone that I could that voted. Thanks again.

DeltaV, remind me never to mess with you again on this stuff, you kicked my ass! Good mix man, deff going on the iPod for my commutes and workouts.