PDA

View Full Version : Getting into trance; tell me where to look!

DJ Headkick
09-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Hey, ever since I had started the path to becoming the UK Hardcore DJ i am today, there was a certain trance tune I found along the way that had never left my head. I don't know if it's popular or anything, but -bonk.- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLT7QOFHHk Fly Away by The Thrillseekers. [Vocals come in at 1:10]

I'm considering dabbling into another genre at the advice of a guy who's been in the scene for quite a long time. To paraphrase him, "Learning how to spin another style will help you to spin hardcore even better," and given the fact that Fly Away has been hammered into my head as such a pretty song, I figured it would be nice to get into trance and be able to use it in mixes, etc. However, trance just seems like slowed-down hardcore to me; I know that a certain facet of DJing should be all about what you want to do, but should I take up spinning another genre in order to teach myself more about spinning the hardcore style?

Either way, After a little bit of wiki-ing, I'd assume that Fly Away either falls under the Uplifting or Vocal style. Can anybody tell me what particular style that tune belongs to? Also, could you guys give me some of your favorite labels / artists that fall under that style?
I'm also considering mixing deep house and a little psytrance into this new routine for myself.

:teef: LAAABELS, LAAABELS, C'MONNNN, GIMME DEM LABELSSSS [and other such obnoxious phrases here.] :teef:

[And any other general advice concerning these matters would be highly appreciated, as well.]

JackStalk
09-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I always play fresh tracks every Tuesday on my podcast @ www.climbtoclouds.com (http://www.climbtoclouds.com)

I would label your track as uplifting vocal trance definitely. There are so many influences in trance right now that a lot of the tracks cross over (especially down near 128-130bpm). I say you should play what you love, nothing will ever be more rewarding than that. I mix a bunch of different styles and it has ultimately helped me a lot in my current song selections when I play out.