PDA

View Full Version : Props to this guy!

xsonixs
02-13-2012, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWfg1UbDQQE&feature=related

At first I thought he was exaggerating when he said 10-15 times power-out...but he wasn't! Anything like this ever happen to you guys? He definitely had a good crowd that came back every single time. Looks like he read the crowd well too!

xsonixs
02-13-2012, 01:23 AM
BTW...go to 7:50 to see how awesome his crowd was!

DJHoss
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Wow, that's tough. Looked like all the hardwired lights as well as his lights and all the plugs were on one circuit too. That sucks, I always test circuits before I put too much load on any one circuit. Learn from him :tup:

andythemusician
02-14-2012, 05:55 AM
From memory, that venue has a noise limiter, where the power to the entertainment will cut out if it exceeds a certain dB level. There is usually a visual indicator in line of sight of the stage so the entertainment can keep up to date at how close they are to the threshold.
As annoying as it is, and as much as I disagree with it, it is there for a reason: some DJs / bands / audio engineers do not consider the local environment they are playing in, and do not adhere to the venue's specifications. Thus these ridiculous items are invented.

I didn't work here, but the production company I work for have worked there, and I remember the story about this. They got around it by putting the lights on the circuit the noise limiter was controlling, and the sound elsewhere. The sound never died, only the lights - and of course, everytime the band got to a chorus, as they got louder with the build up! Talk about an anti-climax...

Actually, on watching it again, I didn't realise the house lights went out too. Must have been the weather or something dodgy and out of his control as he mentioned.
That being said, the above story is still true to that venue.

Ashley Caveney
02-14-2012, 07:09 AM
on the comments he said it was due to the bad weather and something was leaking onto the circuit. Kudos to him to keep going and get the crowd back each time!

xsonixs
02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
How do you keep your confidence at that point, after you get hit time and again with black-outs? Getting the crowd back every single time definitely took some skill, will power and a bit of luck.

Unknown DJ
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
From memory, that venue has a noise limiter, where the power to the entertainment will cut out if it exceeds a certain dB level. There is usually a visual indicator in line of sight of the stage so the entertainment can keep up to date at how close they are to the threshold.
As annoying as it is, and as much as I disagree with it, it is there for a reason: some DJs / bands / audio engineers do not consider the local environment they are playing in, and do not adhere to the venue's specifications. Thus these ridiculous items are invented.

I didn't work here, but the production company I work for have worked there, and I remember the story about this. They got around it by putting the lights on the circuit the noise limiter was controlling, and the sound elsewhere. The sound never died, only the lights - and of course, everytime the band got to a chorus, as they got louder with the build up! Talk about an anti-climax...

Actually, on watching it again, I didn't realise the house lights went out too. Must have been the weather or something dodgy and out of his control as he mentioned.
That being said, the above story is still true to that venue.

In the video the whole venue loses power.

VjQue
02-15-2012, 01:10 AM
turn down the bass simple. dont run on the same circuit.

Unknown DJ
02-15-2012, 05:13 AM
turn down the bass simple. dont run on the same circuit.

Towards the end of the video you will see he has turned off all his lights and subs but the power goes out again. It was a venue problem.

Quentin Legend
02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Wow that's hectic!

Truly a DJ's nightmare!

Liam
02-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Man that must have sucked, but props to him for gaining the floor again all those times.