PDA

View Full Version : Spotify meets Beatport - Looking for Beta Testers

fredfunk
08-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi all. The company I work for, Pulselocker, is creating a music subscription system for DJs (think spotify+beatport for DJs). The service lets you DJ tracks, online or offline, in serato/traktor/whatever.

We are ready to start beta testing, and are looking for DJ's to try it out and give us some feedback. You can sign up at:

http://launch.pulselocker.com/

DJNR
08-31-2012, 02:23 PM
I signed up. I'm not sure how I like the idea of not actually owning the track myself, but I registered anyways.

fredfunk
08-31-2012, 05:47 PM
I signed up. I'm not sure how I like the idea of not actually owning the track myself, but I registered anyways. - Hey Nathan. Actually, there's a lot more to Pulselocker and you will definitely have the option to "try before you buy." Shoot me an email to fred [at] pulselocker [dot] com and I'll see what I can do about putting you on the private beta sooner.

Also, after you enter your email address on the signup form (at pulselocker.com), the next page shows a link that you can share on social sites. Each person who signs up to the beta list using this link, will help you get closer to beta access.

let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Fred

savageg
08-31-2012, 07:34 PM
signed up as well, would like to know a little more about how it works.

fredfunk
08-31-2012, 08:41 PM
signed up as well, would like to know a little more about how it works. - hey there - we are in private beta, so we can't share too much at the moment. But we will have more information on our website (www.pulselocker.com) in the next week or so.

a-mart
08-31-2012, 08:42 PM
What legal issues could one run into with this?

ParisCreative
08-31-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm game to try but would love to hear more about the terms, legal issues, etc.

Synaxis
08-31-2012, 10:09 PM
signed up as well, would like to know a little more about how it works.

What legal issues could one run into with this?

I'm game to try but would love to hear more about the terms, legal issues, etc.

Ditto. This sounds very interesting, but your not giving us much info on it.

g6music
08-31-2012, 10:33 PM
I signed up and emailed. I'm def interested in hearing more about how this could potentially work. Specifically legally. If it's legit, this sounds ace!

fredfunk
09-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I'm game to try but would love to hear more about the terms, legal issues, etc. - Our subscription model is totally legal and artist-friendly so no need to fear. These arrangements enable us to offer a catalog that spans from funk&rare grooves to reggae, hiphop, dnb, dubstep and house/techno(and subgenres), and is growing everyday.

we're in private beta, so I can't say too much more, but in the next week or so, we'll have our website up which will give you more info. In the meantime, imagine Pulselocker as a spotify type of experience with a beatport-type of catalog, that offers the ability to play tracks on your favorite dj app (traktor, serato, vdj), offline.

Thanks for your interest, guys.

Synergy
09-01-2012, 07:16 AM
i signed up too, no email though. need more info lol

DjMonstar
09-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Signed up also. Sounds interesting.

SnaSty
09-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Very curious!

spirez
09-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Like the sound of this.

Have signed up and shared

LukeDent
09-05-2012, 05:32 AM
We will have no excuses for requests now!

Divercity
09-05-2012, 05:52 AM
So.....How does the artist that puts in the hard work benefit from the business model?

Site Quote:
dj millions of tracks
without buying millions of tracks.

Yea, I don't like this at all. It seems there is no care for the art form anymore(the new music business in the digital age). Need more info mate. :blank:

Drewbdo
09-05-2012, 06:59 AM
So.....How does the artist that puts in the hard work benefit from the business model?

Site Quote:
dj millions of tracks
without buying millions of tracks.

Sounds like VDJ's integrated Grooveshark... subscribe to Grooveshark for a small monthly fee, and get "legal access to over 15 million tracks without buying them".

When you have a request for a song you don't have (especially if you don't want to buy it because you doubt you will ever play it again), instead of buying at Amazon or whatever, just click the link in VDJ and download to your computer (or you can stream it). Every month or so, when you log on to VDJ's servers, the system will automatically refresh your cache authorization, and all the tracks you have downloaded to your computer will be available to play.

If the legal and artist-pay issues have been worked out for Grooveshark, then certainly this new company could do the same.

fredfunk
09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Sounds like VDJ's integrated Grooveshark... subscribe to Grooveshark for a small monthly fee, and get "legal access to over 15 million tracks without buying them".

When you have a request for a song you don't have (especially if you don't want to buy it because you doubt you will ever play it again), instead of buying at Amazon or whatever, just click the link in VDJ and download to your computer (or you can stream it). Every month or so, when you log on to VDJ's servers, the system will automatically refresh your cache authorization, and all the tracks you have downloaded to your computer will be available to play.

If the legal and artist-pay issues have been worked out for Grooveshark, then certainly this new company could do the same.

Pulselocker was founded by DJs and producers and we built the company (and our business model) with the artists' interests top of mind. While we cannot stop technology's financial impact on the music ecosystem, we are providing new monetization opportunities to help soften the blow.

In addition, we have our own licensing deals, and work with all providers of relevant content, be it majors or indies. At the same time, we pay artists and collecting societies and have all the legitimate rights to offer the services we do.

eddiepliers
11-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Ok, I got my invite code and got pulselocker started. It's pretty good, but I can't integrate with Serato. Is there a FAQ?

Scott Michael
11-15-2012, 09:52 AM
I've signed up! This looks promising, would love to give feedback in the private beta stage. Thanks guys.

mars.shosh1n
11-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Seems interesting, but at least right out of the gate, it appears to be more main-stream-ish electronic music ... this would be useless to me unless there was a wealth of Drum'n'Bass that surpasses Beatport. Is there a place on the site to see what the target library might look like?

DJWhiteChoco
11-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Sounds interesting.... signed up

"imagines a shit ton of new DJ's will be djing off their laptops"

DJ Nada
11-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I need details. This sounds like an attempt at astroturfing viral marketing. Why else wouldn't he have details for us? What exactly is the service, and how does it work?

eddiepliers
11-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Seems interesting, but at least right out of the gate, it appears to be more main-stream-ish electronic music ... this would be useless to me unless there was a wealth of Drum'n'Bass that surpasses Beatport. Is there a place on the site to see what the target library might look like?

It has a fair selection of tracks for DNB. Of course, you're going to see hospital there. There is Playaz on there also. I looked for RAM, Marky, and others and the results are limited. I think this is because of the beta is limited to certain tracks.

I need details. This sounds like an attempt at astroturfing viral marketing. Why else wouldn't he have details for us? What exactly is the service, and how does it work?

To be honest, it seems ok. I wouldn't do the $10 plan because you only get 10 tracks to keep on the computer at a time. The $15 plan has a 50 track amount. You can pick and choose any of the tracks you want within that group of 50 at any time. These can also be part of your crate on serato or any other DVS system. The beta has a limit of 100, but you can add more tracks by linking facebook and other things. Not to mention that you can buy any of the tracks at any time.

I may get the $10 a month plan to start out just to see what it's like: to see how good the DL'd track are and if the catalog is larger than what the beta offers.

mars.shosh1n
11-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the update!

What quality levels are available? (mp3/flac/wav?)
Does it require a wireless connection to play what you've buffered locally?
Whats the oldest dnb tune you can find? :3

This kind of thing would be worth much more to me, depending on the back catalogue.

eddiepliers
11-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the update!

What quality levels are available? (mp3/flac/wav?)
Does it require a wireless connection to play what you've buffered locally?
Whats the oldest dnb tune you can find? :3

This kind of thing would be worth much more to me, depending on the back catalogue.

1. The tracks that I've dl'd are 320k .m4a
2. the tracks can be dl'd into a "locker" where the tracks can be saved in that form and can be switched around at any time. As far as buffering, I don't think it does that. The downloads are pretty fast.
3. The oldest is Roni Size/Kitachi - Spirit on the "Dope on Plastic" label. July 28, 1997

DJ Boom Bap
11-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I signed up. Just an email is suspect. I am thinking that if this was legit/feasible, then iTunes, amazon, beat port, spotify, Pandora would have already had this service.

There is no, you must be a dj disclaimer anywhere.....Why would big mp3 pool companies not be doing this already? The prices are too cheap, and from what I've read on here, the back catologs will/are not good.

We shall see.

P.s. I gave my junk email address

fredfunk
11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,

Quick update: The Pulselocker public beta officially launched on the 13th. With Pulselocker, you can stream DJ-tracks on-demand (like Spotify). You can also download tracks into a digital locker on your Mac and DJ them in Serato and Traktor -- before you buy.

If you've ever bought a track only to play it out once or twice, or bought a track based on the 90-second sample and hated it, sign up for a free beta invite (with a 100-track locker and unlimited streaming) at www.pulselocker.com.

For more info, here are some articles to check out:

TheVerge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639326/pulselocker-streaming-music-service-dj-beta#127106557)

TheNextWeb (http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/11/13/pulselockers-music-streaming-service-could-be-the-next-big-thing-in-the-dj-world/?fromcat=all)

DJ Tech Tools (http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/11/13/pulselocker-try-before-you-buy-for-djs/)

fredfunk
12-06-2012, 01:13 PM
We just posted a couple of quick how-to videos that explain the Locker and how to access it in Traktor and Serato.

What is the Locker and how do I use it?
http://on.fb.me/UIfaI8

How to set up your Locker in Traktor and Serato:
http://on.fb.me/UIjSpt

daveoj
12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Signed up like a good little soldier :)

fredfunk
12-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Signed up like a good little soldier :)

Thanks, Dave. Stay tuned for your invite.