PDA

View Full Version : Affordable mixer for vinyl DJ playing hip-hop, soul and funk

billy_meathead
08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi there,

I've been out of touch with the DJ game for a few years now but I'm slowly creeping back in.

I still and always have collect records I just didn't mix or play out for some time.

Anyway..

I have my technics 1200s still but my mixers have given up the ghost - I owned the original Technics Championship mixer and previous to that an old Gemini 3 channel mixer.

I was wondering what the best affordable mixer is for sub £200? Are Vestax still leading the way in more hip-hop orientated mixers?

I'm willing to go 2nd hand as I can see a lot of mixers have disappeared off the market for new digital ones - I'm old school and will remain that way - funk doesn't need gadgets it just needs to be played!

So if anyone can recommend a mixer that suits these styles of music, is affordable and has some features (good for scratching? bpm counters? etc), I'm all ears.

Also, if anyone can suggest makes to look for - I liked the look and feel of Vestax and Pioneer when I've used them in the past - but are these the kiddies anymore?

thanks in advance for any advice and tips,

Billy_m

Blueprint
08-28-2012, 06:48 PM
This is slightly over-budget but the mixer you want is the Rane Empath (linear) (used).

billy_meathead
08-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi,

thanks for the quick response.

Checked it out looks and sounds ace but may be currently out of the price range - I'll check ebay.

thanks

Blueprint
08-29-2012, 10:05 AM
just gotta be patient and maybe you'll increase your funds during the search but that mixer is one of the best values.

pete
08-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Nuo 2.0 or Nuo 2 second hand through ebay or gumtree or whatever.
Or a Hak 310, Hak 320 or Hak 360 would be good.

Those Ecler mixers fit your spec and are way nicer than comparable Vestax models.

djpenguin
08-29-2012, 03:57 PM
If you just want simplicity and scratchability, buy something basic that fits your needs and then upgrade the crossfader to an Innofader (http://innofader.com/).

billy_meathead
08-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Cool, thanks, I'll look into it!

billy_meathead
08-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I'll check those out, appreciate the response!

Sigma
08-30-2012, 12:38 AM
The Allen & Heath Xone 22 looks like a decent buy at £249. I haven't used one, but their gear has a decent rep. I'm not sure how good it would be for scratching though.

The only other "cheap" mixer I'd recommend is the Ecler Nuo 2.0 at £299, which would be fine for mixing and scratching.

There's very little that's good in the sub-£300 range these days, cos the majority of them are shitty looking mixers with digital features and effects rammed in, rather than someone just making a nice solid and basic mixer.

djpenguin
08-30-2012, 12:09 PM
The Allen & Heath Xone 22 looks like a decent buy at £249. I haven't used one, but their gear has a decent rep. I'm not sure how good it would be for scratching though.

The only other "cheap" mixer I'd recommend is the Ecler Nuo 2.0 at £299, which would be fine for mixing and scratching.

There's very little that's good in the sub-£300 range these days, cos the majority of them are shitty looking mixers with digital features and effects rammed in, rather than someone just making a nice solid and basic mixer.

The Xone:22 is terrible for scratching, the crossfader wears out very quickly. There was also a rash of QC problems when the 22 was released (power jack failing, filter buttons failing, etc.) I don't know if that was ever resolved.

Blueprint
08-30-2012, 08:54 PM
The Xone:22 is terrible for scratching, the crossfader wears out very quickly. There was also a rash of QC problems when the 22 was released (power jack failing, filter buttons failing, etc.) I don't know if that was ever resolved.

I concur.

spirez
08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I have an Empath and it's great but I'll always keep hold of my pioneer DJM707 - Thing is a tank and so nice to use

Paulie65m
08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
I will go for a vestax mixer built quality is amazing , sound is top notch for analog and made for scratching if you wanna mix xone is the way to go

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bobbyd
09-01-2012, 07:18 AM
I do have an Ecler Nuo 3 that I am willing to part with. Hit me up if you are interested, I can snap a few pics for you.

pete
09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I do have an Ecler Nuo 3 that I am willing to part with. Hit me up if you are interested, I can snap a few pics for you.

this could be a sweet deal. Mixers are cheaper in the US than UK. Just have to sort out the shipping details....

billy_meathead
09-03-2012, 05:49 AM
Hi all!

Thanks for everybodies responses - they're a great help, now I know what I need to look for I'll save up for something a little more high end. Will post again when I'm in a position to buy. THANKS!