PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Novation Launchpad for a Beginner?

Joekan
08-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Hey,
I am considering of being a DJ and a producer. Should i get a Novation Launchpad. Are they good enough to be used as a professional DJ. Can you record with Novation Launchpad? Thank you for your help. Much appreciated :)

Andrew B
08-28-2012, 08:53 AM
It's just a MIDI controller. It's good for launching clips in Ableton Live (which is purchased separately, and isn't really DJ software).

If you want to produce, then start with some production software and maybe a MIDI keyboard. If you want to DJ, then get some DJ equipment (with or without software). They're two different skill sets, with two different kinds of equipment.

Joekan
08-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for replying, can you still perform gigs with novation launchpad? does it work with imac? What is a production software? Can you record your songs made with novation launchpad? Thanks for helping me :)

Andrew B
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for replying,
1) can you still perform gigs with novation launchpad?
2) does it work with imac?
3) What is a production software?
4) Can you record your songs made with novation launchpad? Thanks for helping me :)

1) It's made for live sequencing and sample triggering, typically with your own tracks. I wouldn't want to DJ with it.
2) Yes.
3) Production software (also called a DAW - digital audio workstation) is for making music.
4) Your songs are written and recorded in your DAW. Without a DAW, the Launchpad doesn't do anything. It's just a bunch of buttons that don't make any sound on their own.

As for your original question - "Should I get a Novation Launchpad for a beginner" - my answer is no.

Joekan
08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks for answering, why shouldnt i buy it?

Andrew B
08-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Because, by itself, it's not very useful for either DJing or production.

What makes you want the Launchpad?

cooper
08-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Probably that damn Madeon video... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA)

broshades
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM

probably cause madeon's makes cool noises

OP, I'd grab a free demo of virtual DJ if you want to actually mix songs and whatnot. The launchpad is better suited for live remixing. The type of questions your asking makes is seem like you need to read up a bit more on the difference between DJ'ing and Producing. Most people don't seem to understand it, so don't feel bad! Just read up some more and you can make some more informed questions and understand how people are trying to guide you better.

Joekan
08-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Yeah i sort of understand the difference. DJ is disk jokey and producing is recording your music? I do want to record my music but i like to perform live with a Novation launchpad which is cool. Even though its not proper DJ ing its still making music and i want to do that. At first i didnt really know what proper DJing is all about. Im a noob.

varini.1000
08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Because, by itself, it's not very useful for either DJing or production.

I am asking myself the same question. DJing and producing are two different worlds. My .13 cents you have to start somewhere, but I personally see no connect with using launchpad as a initial tool for learning the DJ craft. I guess that is why I saw an influx years ago with AKAI MPC 1000's. Dre drops a commericial pressing trigger buttons and everyone wants it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvO9-SCxqfk. Dont purchase something that will end up being useless to you. Research your equipment and do a test run with it in a store :D

Andrew B
08-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah i sort of understand the difference. DJ is disk jokey and producing is recording your music? I do want to record my music but i like to perform live with a Novation launchpad which is cool. Even though its not proper DJ ing its still making music and i want to do that. At first i didnt really know what proper DJing is all about. Im a noob.

You won't be able to perform live without first making the music. A Launchpad can wait until after you learn how to produce.

Essentially: producers make music; DJs play music that the producers make. So, which one would you like to start with?

varini.1000
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
^ Well put Andrew:D