PDA

View Full Version : Venue Magic / VDJ / mac question

DJ Watty
08-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Hello gang. Been a while since I posted. I am looking into getting venue magic AV+ with the VDJ plug in. My concern is all of my DJing computers are Mac. I was told by a salesman that I can run a program called PARALLELS http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ that would enable me to run VDJ on OSX while running Venue Magic on windows seamlessly at the same time. I am just seeing if anyone her does this and if you have had a good experience with it.

Thank you!

Johnnotestine
08-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I believe VDJ has issues with Parralells. I run VDJ on my Mac with bootcamp using Windows 7. Runs great.

DJ Watty
08-28-2012, 07:35 AM
I believe VDJ has issues with Parralells. I run VDJ on my Mac with bootcamp using Windows 7. Runs great.

I had a feeling the salesman was blowing smoke up my ass. The lighting industry needsto step up to the plate and make more Mac friendly DMX Dongles. I dont like MyDMX. I absolutely hate the idea of using Parralells or BootCamp to begin with. I went Mac for a reason, because I cant stand windows. So why would I want to install windows on my Mac?? LOL. Know what I mean?

Johnnotestine
08-28-2012, 09:07 AM
I had a feeling the salesman was blowing smoke up my ass. The lighting industry needsto step up to the plate and make more Mac friendly DMX Dongles. I dont like MyDMX. I absolutely hate the idea of using Parralells or BootCamp to begin with. I went Mac for a reason, because I cant stand windows. So why would I want to install windows on my Mac?? LOL. Know what I mean?
I know what you mean.

I use the enttec dmx pro with freestyler. It works wth Mac, but seemed to be more stable with Windows. Another reason I switched to bootcamp/Windows was the additional video VDJ plugins that don't work with Mac.

Windows 7 is actually pretty good and runs better on my Mac than I have seen it run on anything else.

DJ Lightsmith
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello gang. Been a while since I posted. I am looking into getting venue magic AV+ with the VDJ plug in. My concern is all of my DJing computers are Mac. I was told by a salesman that I can run a program called PARALLELS http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ that would enable me to run VDJ on OSX while running Venue Magic on windows seamlessly at the same time. I am just seeing if anyone her does this and if you have had a good experience with it.

Thank you!

Just saw this today. I replied to your email at support@venuemagic.com but wanted to make sure everyone else got the correct story as well.

There may have been misunderstanding on the VenueMagic VirtualDJ Plugin. The plugin will not run on the OSX native version of VirtualDJ, it will only run on the Windows version of VirtualDJ. We hope to add an OSX native version of the plugin in the future, but do not yet have a timetable for development.

You can however use the MIDI Clock function of VirtualDJ on your Mac to send the beat via MIDI to VenueMagic on Windows. There is a very nice Ethernet based MIDI program called ipMIDI by nerds.de which works nicely on both windows and Mac. You can find more information on them here:

http://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html

To setup MIDI Clock Sync, you need to setup MIDI on both computers (or in both OSX and Parallels on the same Mac), You then need to set the "SendMidiClockTo" advanced VirtualDJ parameter. You can find information on how to set that at the VirtualDJ Wiki Website:

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/RegistryValues.html

Once you set that parameter, VenueMagic should then be able to detect the Clock on whichever MIDI port you setup. You can set the Beat Tapper button to "Listen" to the MIDI port by right clicking on the Beat Tapper button and selecting "Beat Tapper Settings". There is then a check box and a setup button to select the MIDI clock sync source.

The MIDI clock sync source should work with any software program which will output a MIDI clock.

We have a number of customers who use Macs buy an inexpensive PC just to run VenueMagic. VenueMagic runs great under both Parallels and Bootcamp so it's up to you what you would like to do. We really do, however, hear that our customers want a native Mac application. VenueMagic is meant to be a production performance application and there is a lot of underlying code to make things simple and easy to understand during programming. Whatever we end up releasing on Mac will have to meet our strict quality standards and that takes considerable time to do right.

Ben Holmes
DJ Lightsmith and VenueMagic Support

DJ Watty
08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Thankyou Ben!!!! I am so excited to try this tomorrow!! You guys rock.

Johnnotestine
08-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Keep in mind that Venue Magic might work with Parrallels, but VDJ does not (I think).

Thankyou Ben!!!! I am so excited to try this tomorrow!! You guys rock.

DJ Watty
08-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Yea, I'm going to run off from the Midi Clock instead into my touchscreen jukebox that is windows and run venue magic on that and then set up my iPad and iPhone with touch OSC for a controller