PDA

View Full Version : Any controllers in clubs (installed or BYOC)?

KLH
08-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Every so often I like to ask if controllers have become increasingly visible in clubs. Has anyone noticed if more DJs are bringing or clubs are installing controllers - as opposed to CDJs and mixers?

-KLH

C.Lukas1
08-27-2012, 08:58 AM
I never see controllers in so called "clubs", but I've noticed they have become increasingly popular in lounges, bars, restaurants.

I've been to several cafes or restaurants with outdoor seating where a DJ will post up later in the night with an S4 or something similar.

The Blackest
08-27-2012, 09:02 AM
I barely see djs bringing controllers to clubs in my area. Actually the only time I've seen one at a club was when I was tagging w/ a buddy that was using one.

I was so tempted to hit sync when I was playing on it. LOL!!

mrkleen
08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Seen DJs using everything from an S4 and a laptop solo - to CDJs with 2 X1's - and on up and down the line.

Saw Dubfire recently and he was using CDJs with 2 X1s and 2 F1s.

mars.shosh1n
08-27-2012, 01:24 PM
So far as I've seen around Denver, it's all BYOC. The local music groups tend to provide the 1200s/cdjs/djm-800's (clubs generally don't have anything but sound), but anything outside of that is bring it yadamnself.

Panotaker
08-28-2012, 04:48 AM
I did a club gig last week. I insisted in bringing my NS7.

Bassline Brine
09-02-2012, 05:02 AM
I've been seeing a lot of controllers lately, at least in what I'd consider the "underground" scene in New England.

There have been more than a few parties that are vinyl only, which I think is fun (and usually brings out some really skilled DJ's).

But really, controllers are all over the place. From APC40's almost everywhere, to the SCS3 system, to the SCS4 system (actually saw someone spin an amazing Electro Swing set on the SCS4, and I was happily surprised). I've seen more than a few S4's, an APC 80, a slew of Midifighters and X1's, a couple F1's, people using the Maschine. Controllers are becoming more prevalent, and it's nice seeing more acceptance of them.

I mean, honestly, controllers can be easier to setup when switching sets than a DVS system.

There are still turntables at most events. CDJ's are still the mainstay at the moment. But more and more people are bringing in a variety of controllers, and people are fairly accepting of it really. The only people who really gripe about it at all are other DJ's.

It's not that people are opposed to controllers anymore I feel, but the value on not using a computer with CDJ's or using turntables (in any fashion) is just all the more appreciated now. I can speak from personal experience of people coming up to me, after a set, and just honestly saying "thank you" for using turntables. And it's weird, but I don't mind it, and it's one of the reasons I do it. Because when I go out to see DJ's, I'm always more impressed by people using turntables or CDJ's without a computer. And I don't knock people who use controllers (as I know they can/are working equally as hard), but that's just how I feel in my gut. And I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

That's how I see it at least.

nevin
09-05-2012, 07:35 AM
I feel like a few lazy teens have ruined the controller market by making people not have respect for it. I have a kontrol s4 but I prefer to run cdjs purely for this reason

The Blackest
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Use what works for you honestly. Don't care what people think.

mrkleen
09-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I feel like a few lazy teens have ruined the controller market by making people not have respect for it. I have a kontrol s4 but I prefer to run cdjs purely for this reason

So you give up all the convenience and advanced functionality that controllers offer - simply because you are afraid of what uneducated clowns in the crowd think?

When I roll up with my S4, X1, F1 and Midi Fighter - any doubts about what I do vs. what amateurs controller DJs with no skills are erased in about 5 minutes.

DJNR
09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
So you give up all the convenience and advanced functionality that controllers offer - simply because you are afraid of what uneducated clowns in the crowd think?

When I roll up with my S4, X1, F1 and Midi Fighter - any doubts about what I do vs. what amateurs controller DJs with no skills are erased in about 5 minutes.

I wouldn't put it so harshly, but I agree with Kleen. It's the DJ, not the gear. I have tons of respect for people who use controllers and use them well.

VjQue
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Only saw 2 controllers maybe 3 in the club and 1 switched back to 12's after a while. The other 2 aster beginners and sound horrible. They only use them cause there $50 or sometimes free. So that's why its a controller in there and the promoter is Hella cheap to