PDA

View Full Version : Curious as to see what others are doing and your OP's ..........

DJ NGAGE
08-27-2012, 12:42 AM
When spinning at a club live or an event, how long are you letting your songs play before you transition to the next? Currently at the club I spin at I only spin for 1 sometimes 2 hours 12-1. So I tend to mash more music into a smaller time frame. Then on longer sets I let the songs play for longer. Just interested in your guy's thoughts on how long you should let your song play. I understand that it might depend on the type of music you play as well, energy of the club-clearly there is no rule of thumb here, but you have to wonder how much of the song the crowd actually wants to hear.

Thanks

djransom
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Depends on the gig. If it's a club then I usually do a verse and hook, but on a private gig I may let them run a little longer earlier in the night, but as the night wears on I revert to verse and hook.

Austin GoGreen
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM
At the club I play one verse (top 40, hip hop, throwbacks). Sometimes that means the chorus get's played twice. If I drop a new banger that's hot on the charts or there is a particular build-up or sing-along part of a certain song I will let it ride out for about 2 minutes. Quick mixing is the only way in the club.

I also do events. This weekend will be the AVP tour in Cincy, 12 hr sets, 2 days. There will be a lot of songs riding all the way out.

The Blackest
08-27-2012, 09:20 AM
It depends on the genre and the crowd honestly. When I played on Friday I was on 3 decks and was constantly mixing and everyone was loving it. I play drum n bass though.

I will say though, if the tune has a lot going on for several bars which makes the tune not that repetitive(and its a banger), I let it play out longer than something that just has a few strings, ear candy and/or big bass/synth. Thats just me though...

AYoo
08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I say quick verse/hook transitions work great. but by all means if its a tune you noticed caught the attention of the crowd in front of you, let it play!

djkvg
08-29-2012, 03:06 AM
don't play the tracks too long. seems like the crowd gets bored with it. I noticed that when i first started djing in clubs. They LOVED it when i dropped it but after 1.5mins the energy is dying down.

Dave Daschofsky
08-29-2012, 03:41 AM
If the crowd is into the song I'll let it play out. If it clears the floor I'll get out of it quick. Sometimes I'll do runs of songs where I mix in and outafter the first chorus. At the strip club it's 3 minutes, 3:30 if the girl on stage is a bad tipper and I'm playing a song she hates.

Synergy
08-29-2012, 08:23 AM
i ride the whole song out, its quality not quantity people.

Subprime
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Playing more and more deep housey stuff, 1 min mix in, play the tune for a while 1 min mix out. End up playing lots of records for the whole duration, 5-6min longs tunes.

ben mills
08-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Playing more and more deep housey stuff, 1 min mix in, play the tune for a while 1 min mix out. End up playing lots of records for the whole duration, 5-6min longs tunes.

I play deep house, not the vocal diva kind usually though. I will play out the tracks almost completely, but I will start the mix of the next track pretty much as quickly as possible and have mixes that extend 3, 4 minutes. I use loops to keep the incoming track at bay and from advancing too far into the meat of the track until the outgoing track is ready.

If you look at ten minutes of a mix of mine, you'll probably have 6 or 7 of those minutes in the mix.

sss18734
08-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Depends on the song.....

Abe Linkon
08-31-2012, 11:33 AM
I play trance and progressive house, and everywhere I've played I've had more success letting the song play out and teasing the new song in where you can. Toss in some vocals or a hook and bring it out. There isn't a wrong way in a club.

mantis
09-01-2012, 08:10 PM
just a few minutes. no need to play the whole song. Its boring, and doesnt give you much mixing time. Not too creative either

Era 7
09-02-2012, 05:17 AM
playing trance i almost always let the track play out. you don't have a lot of choice here either since the middle of most track is simply to crowded to mix. unless you play tech-trance almost on the verge of techno.

Its Web
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
It depends upon the crowd reaction to the song and the time of night. As it gets later the mixes get shorter. I also play a lot of mash ups.

djslik
10-09-2012, 12:55 AM
I tend to power mix and mix out at the first chorus, if I get time conscious second chorus. Some people refer to them as hooks also.

DJ Que Yi
10-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Most of my gigs are public events where I spin R&B old school for the 35 and up. I personally like to keep it moving and mix out after the good part of a song. But by reading the floor I noticed that my crowd would get pissed when I cut out too soon. So the one verse and hook style doesn't work for me in those particular situations.

Liam
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Warm up: Let the whole track ride out, 1 minute mix in 4 minutes of track and 1 mix mix out.

Main set: Let the whole track ride out, 30 sec - 1 minute mix in, 3 minutes of track and 30 sec - 1 minute of mix out.

My warm ups are always tech/deep house music and my main sets are always commercial chart remixes so it works well.

Mixxed
10-19-2012, 01:49 PM
No more than 12 seconds per track max

Synergy
10-19-2012, 06:44 PM
everyone is about quantity lol......quality. id rather hear 10 songs in an hour rather than 30 clips of songs. fuck that.

dlove
10-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Depends on the song.....

^^This. Some tracks need to be played right out, some I play before the vocals repeat, some work as intro's or breaks, samples, ect. It depends on the song, what went before, and what could come after.

dlove
10-23-2012, 08:42 AM
everyone is about quantity lol......quality. id rather hear 10 songs in an hour rather than 30 clips of songs. fuck that.

an Earl Zinger quote "the DJ is mixing the life out this tune"

Jimanee
10-24-2012, 04:46 AM
Yep, my music is worth playing all the way through... Though the real answer is I let them play for as long as I need to , I have mixed out real quick on occassions where I have miss read the crowd, but also let them play if 15 people + are still loving it, even if everyone else is glaring at me.

Adzm00
10-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Depends on the track. But in just plain mixing track into track as a general I will mix 2.5 - 3mins of the track, let it play, and be mixing the same again into the next track.

LALaw
11-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I generally agree with you but the breakdowns are a great place to start dropping the beat of the next song if you're getting bored with what's playing or just want to keep the energy level up. The build/break/beat formula gets tired after hearing it over and over