PDA

View Full Version : Recommends for an old school fan

contra
08-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Hey all, I started listening to hip hop back in the 80's, fell in love with it, and dumped it in the late 90's because of all the shit that came out at the time. After buying a Planet Rock vinyl for sentimental value, my flame has been reignited! My question for you is I've been out of the game for over ten years, I don't know any of the newer artists or sounds. Can I get some recommendations for artists that have an old school feel? You know, more pure and fun than opposed to gangster and club. I'm a big fan of KRS-One, Eric B and Rakim, Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang, Run DMC, EPMD, Jurassic 5, Public Enemy, Biz Markie, LL(before he went soft)...you know, that kind of stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

rchecka
08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
As far as new artists who emulate that "Old School feel", there isn't a lot out there. People Under the Stairs springs to mind with that being a theme on a few of their recent albums. Arsonists played with it a little in their song "Rhyme Time Travel". But most new HH artists try to emulate the Golden Era if they are going for throw back vibe sound. Like Celph Titled & Buckwild - Nineteen Ninety Now, Blueprint's 1988, etc. As much as I loved the Old School, that sound was starting to get played out by the mid 80s, so it had to die to make way for the Golden Era. If it didn't go beyond that fun, playful side, Hip Hop music would have died by essentially remaining stagnant. There might be a few other artsts that play with the "Return to the Old School" concept, but it's usually a one-off and forgettable in the end.

TheRabbitMonk
08-27-2012, 01:23 PM
not sure on the spelling but the alchemist are not half bad.

hip2thehop
08-30-2012, 05:23 AM
hmm...some recent albums worth checkin out:
Ruste Juxx - Hardbodie Hip Hop (produced by Kyo Itachi...def look him up, everything he produces is fiiire)
Masta Ace (MA DOOM) - Son of Yvonne (beats are off mf doom's "special herbs" instrumental albums)
Bumpy Knuckles - KoleXXXion (prod. by DJ Premier)
Elzhi - Elmatic (an amazing tribute to Nas, prod. by Will Sessions)
Cashus Flow - Lamplighter's Delight (a talented friend of mine...had to shout him out! lol)

also- u might wanna check out Mello Music Group (peep a dude name Oddisee) and Jamla Records (9th Wonder's biz)...2 great labels who are currently putting out alotta heat.

a few other dudes (both new and old to the scene) who are doin it right now: Torae, Wordsworth, Punchline, J-Live, John Robinson (Lil Sci of Scienz of Life), El Da Sensei (Artifacts), Immortal Technique

...and Lord Finesse is droppin an album soon!

ParisCreative
08-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Like me, you will probably find most of the newer artists are just garbage. Sure you'll have some like Common, Most Def, Talib Kewli, Lupe Fiasco. But most of the records have strayed away from the old school sounds, mostly because of copyright royalties. Where virtually every song out there went to the crates to dig for something unique, now it's just manufactured beats for the most part.

st3rling
09-12-2012, 03:11 PM
They aren't exactly "new" anymore, but the group Ugly Duckling reminds me of pure and fun music that takes big inspiration from their younger days. Just regular guys rapping and referencing stuff I identify with. Really funky production too from their very capable DJ Young Einstein. Loving their samples. Their live shows are fun and simple, enjoyable. Here's one of my favorite songs from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWID5INOFiI

EDIT: I wish the end of that song would never end.

brawny
09-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Edan, Oddisee, Diamond District, the stones throw roster including MED and Guilty Simpson, Blue Scholars. Pretty much all of them are hit and miss, but there are some hits for sure.