PDA

View Full Version : Disco balls

balldome
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I have ordered a American DJ Spherion LED Tri Color Lighting Fixture on line, will be getting it soon. Who has one or more of these and do you like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystic
08-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Nothing will ever be able to replace a real disco ball. They keep trying to mimic the look but it's not even close.

blasterman
08-29-2012, 02:50 PM
They keep trying to mimic the look but it's not even close.

With 650watt HID movers parked on either side slightly in front. I hear ya. I built a custom Cree XM-L array to light mine, and I swear I can spin the ball without a motor.

The LED based spheres are best treated as a low powered truss effect. Best used in pairs with good amounts of haze and not competing with stronger lights. No substitute for a classic disco ball.

Coronaoperator
08-29-2012, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZM_SbCeDQo

instinct
09-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Nothing will ever be able to replace a real disco ball. They keep trying to mimic the look but it's not even close.

Agreed.. They do the same kind of "effect" but the LOOK of the actual disco ball is so important to me.

cooper
09-02-2012, 01:02 PM
While I agree nothing replicates the classic look of a real disco ball, I'm pretty impressed with my Chauvet Hemisphere 5. It's the best of both worlds - slow rotate using just white lights, and RGBAW on sound active for when the party starts bumpin!

rotoitiman
09-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Love my mirror ball. Fantastic affect, wide coverage and a classic, Especially if you have moving heads.

Shay.ca
09-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Since I started in 2009 I have only had 1 request for a disco ball. I ended up renting it an dit was alright. I would prob never buy one though!

rotoitiman
09-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Since I started in 2009 I have only had 1 request for a disco ball. I ended up renting it an dit was alright. I would prob never buy one though!

I have only had two requests over the last 5 years. But then again I usually dont get requests for certain lights full stop. But I certainly get a "WoW" when I have two moving heads concentrated on it.

Da Animal
09-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Actually moved back to the disco ball and pinspots after having two starballs for a year or so... Love the disco ball.

LiveWireCS
09-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I've actually had so many compliments on my starball (with haze) that I have no interest in going back to the disco ball. People like the different look a starball gives while also making a familiar disco feel.