PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Chauvet Hurricane 1800 Flex Fog Machine - Black

den1213
08-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I never thought about a FOG machine until I saw the Chauvet Hurricane 1800 searching the web. I'm thinking about adding this FOG Machine to my set. I saw this one below (you-tube video) at BEST BUY for $185.00, compared to $299.99 at most places. It seems inexpensive, and looks to be a professional looking piece of equipment.

http://youtu.be/8EiL2oRDzXs

What is your opinion or recommendation?

Synaxis
08-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Why do you want a fog machine? To enhance lighting effects?

If so, why not save up and buy a nice haze machine instead?

trauma11
08-26-2012, 12:09 PM
We own one, works well enough. Haze is a superior atmosphere effect, but the initial investment is about 10x as much to achieve similar cubic foot coverage. I find that MOST of the venues that don't allow one or the other, don't allow either. Rarely do I come across venues that say no to fog and yes to haze. Your cost of ownership will be lower with the hazer after you initial investment, better/healthier for patrons of your events and less issues with fire supression/alarms.

den1213
08-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Why do you want a fog machine? To enhance lighting effects?

If so, why not save up and buy a nice haze machine instead?

Most of my regular (paid) shows don't require a fog machine. However, I plan on doing a few of my own Classic underground techno warehouse shows that I will add funky lighting etc. I've seen video with fog combined with lighting creates a rather underground admostphere (like the oldschool warehouse 80's feel).

What is the biggest difference in HAZE and FOG?

Synaxis
08-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Most of my regular (paid) shows don't require a fog machine. However, I plan on doing a few of my own Classic underground techno warehouse shows that I will add funky lighting etc. I've seen video with fog combined with lighting creates a rather underground admostphere (like the oldschool warehouse 80's feel).

What is the biggest difference in HAZE and FOG?

Fog is temporary. It disperses very quickly, is much thicker, and smells (most of the time). It also leaves behind residue.

Haze is a fine mist, that is barely visible, doesn't smell, and enhances lighting effects. You keep a hazer running all night to keep it consistent.

Fog is more of an effect, while haze is used to enhance your lighting.

den1213
08-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys for the above response(s). Indeed your responses lead me to a bit of you-tubing and research. The HAZE machine versus the Fog machine is now very interesting too me. It seems the on-going sentiment from reviews etc; appears the HAZE machine is a better choice for all around practicality rather than the Fog unit. The haze machine seems to kill 2 birds with one stone. It enhances lighting, as well as promote a very subtle experience in ANY setting.

Any suggestion of a professional quality HAZE machine.($300 dollar range or so)

LiteTrix
08-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Mbt hz300 is gonna be your best bet. Little bit over your budget but you might be able to find a used one. Check into old martin and Jem machines as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MBT-HZ300-DMX-Pro-Haze-Hazer-Machine-Party-DJ-Effect-/130687599743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6d96847f#ht_1686wt_966

blasterman
08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I have a Hurricane 1800 and a 1300. The 1800 has the tilt option, but that's it's only advantage. It's noisy, and a power hog that will test your circuit breakers. My Irradiant Flex 1500 (now called a VARI fog) is a *WAY* better combustion fogger. Much, much quieter, and if you cut fog fluid 1:1 with distilled as per my other thread on the topic and adjust the intensity control it also provides excellent atmospherics. Hazer fanboyz and bands that have come in and seen the lighting with the Irradiant have all admitted they didn't think a fogger could double as a hazer so well.

The MBT as I recall is an oil based hazer, although I know some people run water based through theirs. Assuming we're talking about oil based hazers the MBT is probably your best bet. I can't use oil, so it's not an option for me. For water based hazers the only thing I'd touch is a Radiance. I've gone through two Chauvet Haze 2's, and even when they did work the out-put and quality of the haze was mediocre.

LiveWireCS
08-31-2012, 07:47 AM
I use the Chauvet Hurricane Haze 2 and love it. I used fog machines for a long time but felt like I was constantly fogging. cause it dissipated so fast. Now with this, turn it on...set the timer and enjoy.
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/hurricane-haze-2d

sss18734
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
The Chauvet Haze 2 is not a real haze machine.

It's what's deemed a "Fazer," essentially a fog machine with a fan to distribute the fog more evenly.

trauma11
09-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I'll also add that I used mine successfully at a wedding this weekend with a custom low lying fog attachment. Drastically reduces CFM, but hell of an effect.

ferran
09-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I've used an F-100 fog machine from High End Systems for years. It may be a bit too much for smaller sized venues but too much is better than not enough! It doesn't leave any residue & although it has a smell, it's not overbearing or unpleasant. I purchased mine second hand for $100. http://www.highend.com/products/effects/f100foggenerator.asp

LiveWireCS
09-13-2012, 03:49 PM
The Chauvet Haze 2 is not a real haze machine.

It's what's deemed a "Fazer," essentially a fog machine with a fan to distribute the fog more evenly.
I have heard of them referred to as fazers but the fact remains, this works as a hazer and leaves the particles in the air that work perfectly and are less prone to set off the alarms than an oil based hazer, fazer or fog machine. I have nothing but good thinks to say about it especially at that pricing point.

canelure
02-10-2014, 07:49 AM
The information supplied by Synaxis is not correct. A hazer is designed to distribute a fine airborne mist throughout an area; fans are usually used to increase area dispersion. They came into use in rock shows and clubs when smoking was banned so many places; lighting design had relied on the haze of smoke in the air to make effects more visible to the audience, especially diffraction lasers and color wash. They create an atmospheric (no pun intended) effect. There are water-based solutions available that neither smell nor affect audience/band; some are specifically formulated for use in opera, where singers are even more protective of their lungs.

A fogger is completely different. It is designed to produce.... wait for it.... FOG. By definition it is denser, and is formulated to lay close to the ground. The earliest and still one of the most common is the basic CO2 fogger. The drawback to these is that you have to keep loading in dry ice chunks, and the smallest CO2 fogger I have seen (and built) uses a 30 gallon steel drum. Steel is needed usually to deal with the high temperature water heater elements required; though I have seen some commercial models that use a 55 gallon capacity heat resistant plastic; think giant garbage bin. One reason they are unpopular is the combination of 30+ gallons of water around electrical cable, and the need to drain them later, as well as size and weight. Also under heavy use, the CO2 fog CAN leave a residue of water on the floor, as the moisture condenses out. Chauvet makes a 2 gallon CO2 fogger, the Nimbus Jr, for about $600.00, up to the 55 gallon City Theatrical 3300, at around $3500.00. One plus to CO2 foggers is that you can build one yourself, if transport is not a huge issue. I have built them for several theatre companies locally. With an attached dolly base, 3 heater elements, a 30 gallon steel drum and assorted hardware, it would run between $300.00 and $400.00 total. You could use stainless steel drums, but a 30 gallon stainless will run over $500.00 new.

The non-CO2 models such as the "Mr. Kool" sold by American DJ rely on two elements; a heavier fog fluid (often mixed with glycerin) as well as being passed through a chiller of some sort. Inexpensive units rely on a chamber filled with ice; more expensive ones use industrial chillers to drop the temperature of the artificial fog, so that like real fog it stays close to the ground. Examples of those are the Martin-Jem Hydra at around $5000.00 and the Look Cryo-Fog at $6700.00.

Hope this rather verbose reply helps.

DJzrule
02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
We own one, works well enough. Haze is a superior atmosphere effect, but the initial investment is about 10x as much to achieve similar cubic foot coverage. I find that MOST of the venues that don't allow one or the other, don't allow either. Rarely do I come across venues that say no to fog and yes to haze. Your cost of ownership will be lower with the hazer after you initial investment, better/healthier for patrons of your events and less issues with fire supression/alarms.

10x? A Chauvet Haze 3D is a legitimate hazer and costs about 400 MAP. An ADJ/Le Maitre costs about the same. You can get them below MAP.

robare99
02-10-2014, 11:03 AM
I have a hurricane 1800 flex, I like it but its pretty noisy. Water based. I also have an Antari HZ300 hazer which I prefer for gigs. Oil based.

The hurricane hits hard and then disperses. The Antari comes out similar to a kettle. A wide mouth, pretty quiet. It also has no warm up time. Plug it in and it's ready to go.

Since I bought the Antari, I leave the hurricane in my basement, and use it when I'm programming with my light rig.

HFX
02-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Almost all foggers, the Chauvet 1800 flex, the Antari, and other similar machines are all manufactured with the same basic components in China. I repair them on a regular basis, and the cards and heating elements are identical. As in, the same factory in China is producing the components for many companies machines. I make and sell a professional fog fluid, and I sell a line of fog machines, as well as design and build custom foggers in house. There really isn't much mystery to fog fluid. The oil based hazers use mineral oil, and they do not burn it, they basically atomize it through vibration and turbulence and blow it out with a fan. My experience? The oil based hazers are on the way out. They don't even show up at the trade shows anymore. From installations in haunts and theaters, I get about about the same number of complaints of throat/eye irritation with oil haze or propylene/glycerin water based fog. And the complaints are really few with either as long as the amount in the air is reasonable. ,Manufacturers will say to only use their brand of fog fluid, which they are buying and relabeling from a wholesaler/manufacturer, so it is just a way to increase income stream. The basic ingredients of water based fog fluid only vary in ratio to produce a desired effect. One thing that cannot be done is to formulate specifically for ground effect. The heating elements heat the fog fluid to 190 to 220 degrees, higher risks burning it and cracking formaldehyde out of the glycerin. Glycerin makes a better base for water based haze, as it has a longer hang time in the air than propylene glycol. But the variables are water to glycerin ratio, heating element temperature, ambient temperature, and wind speed if outside. Chilled fog will rise and disperse at a predictable rate as it warms up to the ambient air temperature regardless of mix, more glycerin/propylene will extend the visible hang time in the air, but not keep it lower to the ground. I have made "fazers" that worked well, but it is nice to have some control over the surroundings, pretty tough in a club, and oil or water based will set off fire alarms in sufficient concentration in the air, they will see either one as a sudden difference in temperature or hydrocarbon level, depending on the system. Just have to tweak it, and test, again, pretty tough to do in a club.

As far as the Flex? IMO, there is no difference in foggers, only customer service by the retailer. The board relays still conk out, and it is still a crap shoot, and will eventually need a repair. So no better or worse. The price difference is usually in the follow up, not the original sale.

The HZ300 has no warm up time because it works differently as noted above. Maybe something worth having if you have short setup times, and no cool down period where you are worried about melting something when you dump it back in the truck, lol.

All other water based foggers, except true continuous timed multi-element models (pricey) will have a warm up, and intermittent run time. You can mess with the thermal switches, a little, and pump output, if you switch to a DC peristaltic pump, and get a warmup cool down cycle you like, but it is still there.

One last thing (finally, jeez, lol) I prefer a smaller, lower wattage fogger running a water based "haze" fluid over an oil based hazer. The oil based haze disperses very evenly throughout a given airspace, while the water based fog when dispersed as a haze will "layer" and run in patterns in the air, and I like the effects when the lazers hit it. It adds another element of movement, and it is randomized.