PDA

View Full Version : What equipement to start with?

Ritskess
02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I was looking for DJ equipement, and I found something.
Is this good enough to begin with?
DAP DS-MP-150 MP3 Midi Player Desk
Numark DJ 2 GO
Hercules DJ Control MP3 e2
These are Dutch websites, so I don't think you would be able to read it.
I hope you can help me.
By the way I'm using Virtual DJ 7 Pro.
Or should I use another one.

Rothgery
02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Few questions.. First what is your budget, what kind of music do you like, or want to learn how to spin. Lastly what do you want to be as a dj, bedroom/house parties/club dj?

Ritskess
02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I like: Pop, electronic, dance, house, dubstep and club.
I would like to become a club and party dj.
But mainly a club dj.

djkvg
02-12-2012, 04:04 PM
let us know your budget and we can go from there :D

Ritskess
02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh I forgot to tell that.
€150,-

Rothgery
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
save man... get yourself a home version of virtual dj and mix with that for a while and save up some cash - 1000€ will get you a lot nicer equipment. If you get some nice stuff, then later decide you do not want to dj, then you can resell with without losing too much, as long as you keep your equipment nice, you can always add on.

things to keep in mind, you will need asides from your dj equipment, speakers and MUSIC. Look at the post your setup thread, Hausgeists setup cost him about 300$ his current equipment and he rocks out.

Check out local CL for some sweet deals too man, what kind of equipment are you interested in, CD players, turntables, VDJ/software?

Rothgery
02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
also not to mention, once the classifieds come back up into full swing here on the forums, there are lots of great deals to be had, djs selling to djs, couldnt find a better platform :tup:

Ritskess
02-12-2012, 04:20 PM
save man... get yourself a home version of virtual dj and mix with that for a while and save up some cash - 1000€ will get you a lot nicer equipment. If you get some nice stuff, then later decide you do not want to dj, then you can resell with without losing too much, as long as you keep your equipment nice, you can always add on.

things to keep in mind, you will need asides from your dj equipment, speakers and MUSIC. Look at the post your setup thread, Hausgeists setup cost him about 300$ his current equipment and he rocks out.

Check out local CL for some sweet deals too man, what kind of equipment are you interested in, CD players, turntables, VDJ/software?

Ok thanks, but what I mean is can I learn DJ'ing on the DAP DS-MP-150 MP3 Midi Player Desk?
The basic stuff and play my way up to what you just mentioned.

Rothgery
02-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Ok thanks, but what I mean is can I learn DJ'ing on the DAP DS-MP-150 MP3 Midi Player Desk?
The basic stuff and play my way up to what you just mentioned.

Remember this rule of thumb - buy cheap, buy twice. I recommend getting a small amount of decent equipment and building from there, vice buying a whole bunch of cheap shit that will break down on ya

danthedj
02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
A lot of people like to think that because its cheaper, it'll still get the job done but just with less features. Kinda like buying a mercedes or a ford. The ford will work perfectly well and last just as long as the mercedes, but it just doesnt have the fit and finish or high end features of the mercedes.

Contrary to that belief, dj equipment is NOT the same way. Cheap equipment wont teach you the proper ways to dj. They have issues and are less accurate therefore you'll be building bad habits from the start.

This is not to say you cannot get a solid setup for cheap. You most definitely can. You dont need $1000 or 1000 quid to get a good setup. You can get used gear that'll last forever -- such as cdj-200s or stanton turntables. There are deals out there to be had. ALSO, dont go crazy on the mixer. Alot of people believe they need effects and three channels and all this extra stuff that essentially will allow you to cover up your mistakes. Learn on basic (but solid) equipment.

Everyone starts somewhere, but luckily you have DJF 2.0 to help you make good decisions. :slayer:

Ritskess
02-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Okay, thank you for your advice.
But those three devices are controllers.
Are controllers good to start with?

Chay
02-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Okay, thank you for your advice.
But those three devices are controllers.
Are controllers good to start with?

DJ controllers are the "new" thing during this age and time. It's cheaper than most CDJs and turntables plus a mixer, but it will get the job done. You'll obviously need a computer/laptop as well :)

Hausgeist
02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Cheap equipment wont teach you the proper ways to dj. They have issues and are less accurate therefore you'll be building bad habits from the start.

I am going to have to disagree with you there. I learned how to mix on vinyl using very low torque turntables. They forced me to learn how to properly work a pitch fader because I could not nudge or drag the record, spindle, or platter to make sync adjustments. Now, when I play on Techs, or any turntable with a decent amount of torque, it's a breeze in comparison. If anything, learning on cheap gear actually improved my skills.

The same thing went with cd players. I started on decks with .1% pitch resolution. I learned how to keep a blend going with those kinds of decks for as long as I want. Now, any time I play on decks with a tight .02% resolution, it's cake.

The only issue with buying budget gear (and I am talking about for a home setup) is that it has a greater likelihood of crapping out in a shorter amount of time.

A lot of people believe they need effects and three channels and all this extra stuff that essentially will allow you to cover up your mistakes.

I agree about starting basic, but effects do not cover up mistakes. This view point was prevalent on 1.0 as well. I have no idea where it came from, but imo it is just wrong. A bad blend with effects sounds exactly like a bad blend with effects, especially when you are dealing with timed effects. A phaser over the top of clashing vocals is not going to help anything. Ever heard a drfity beatmatch with a 3/4 delay on it? It sounds like ass.

Ritskess
02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Okay, thank you.
I have made my descission I'm buying a controller but how did you learn Dj'ing?
And if you learned it from the internet, can you tell me where from?

Hausgeist
02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
You can check out some of the tutorials on this site. http://www.djforums.com/forums/content.php?126-tutorials

A lot of people also like "DJ Tutor". http://www.djtutor.com/

You also may want to check this out: http://www.dubspot.com/dubspot-online/

sriracha
02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm was unsure whether or not to start a thread, but since the OP's question was resolved, I figure here would be a good place to ask.

I'm thinking about starting out with a Stanton SCS.4DJ controller, but I can save a little money buy going the route of 2 Denon S1000s and a mixer. I don't have a capable laptop at the moment, so that is where the Stanton has an advantage. But, the Denon setup can save me $100-$200. Can you guys try to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Lost Connection
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
The Denons are good cd players, and you don't need laptop for those either. It also depends on the mixer though. But the Stanton is a nice way to go too. I'd take the Denons, if the mixer is good, not some 20$ piece of s*it. but that's just me.

Think which one you'd like better, and then depending on the mixer though, go for the one that you like better. If money is the question, you probably would wanna go with the cheaper option.

-Lost

Chay
02-13-2012, 10:40 AM
The Denons are good cd players, and you don't need laptop for those either. It also depends on the mixer though. But the Stanton is a nice way to go too. I'd take the Denons, if the mixer is good, not some 20$ piece of s*it. but that's just me.

Think which one you'd like better, and then depending on the mixer though, go for the one that you like better. If money is the question, you probably would wanna go with the cheaper option.

-Lost

Or save some more money and get that Denon! :bing:

Or other high-quality mixers as well :P

sriracha
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
The on board software on the Stanton is almost too attractive though. It seems really helpful to a beginner like me. Also, most of my music is on my iPod/USB drive as my external hard drive failed and the Stanton seems very friendly towards that.

epik1
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
People have started with less. I sort of started as a 14 yr old by having two MD players going and I'd put a headphone form each MD player in my ears LOL. As the years went on, there was VDJ for me. Now I have a Vestax Typhoon, isn't amazing but legit enough to learn on.

Ritskess
02-13-2012, 03:28 PM
You can check out some of the tutorials on this site. http://www.djforums.com/forums/content.php?126-tutorials

A lot of people also like "DJ Tutor". http://www.djtutor.com/

You also may want to check this out: http://www.dubspot.com/dubspot-online/

Thank you so much.
If I'll run into difficulties I'll be back.
And I hope within 1 month y'all can hear my first track.

Hausgeist
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
And I hope within 1 month y'all can hear my first track.

If you are wanting to dj that will be your first mix.

djkvg
02-13-2012, 06:30 PM
A lot of people like to think that because its cheaper, it'll still get the job done but just with less features. Kinda like buying a mercedes or a ford. The ford will work perfectly well and last just as long as the mercedes, but it just doesnt have the fit and finish or high end features of the mercedes.

Contrary to that belief, dj equipment is NOT the same way. Cheap equipment wont teach you the proper ways to dj. They have issues and are less accurate therefore you'll be building bad habits from the start.

This is not to say you cannot get a solid setup for cheap. You most definitely can. You dont need $1000 or 1000 quid to get a good setup. You can get used gear that'll last forever -- such as cdj-200s or stanton turntables. There are deals out there to be had. ALSO, dont go crazy on the mixer. Alot of people believe they need effects and three channels and all this extra stuff that essentially will allow you to cover up your mistakes. Learn on basic (but solid) equipment.

Everyone starts somewhere, but luckily you have DJF 2.0 to help you make good decisions. :slayer:

i wouldn't say its not the proper way to learn how to dj lol. i don't think there is really a "proper" way in learning lol. plus i started on cheap gear. Yeah it has a greater learning curve but if u start on mediocre gear, such as belt driven or low direct drive tables u do pretty well on technics or higher torque tables. the bad part about getting "cheap" gear is that you are going to replace it later on and its basically a waste of money because you have to buy again.

There is a greater learning curve but it pays off :)

danthedj
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure if the "greater learning curve" pays off. I realize alot of the "vets" started off on cheap crappy gear, so they would back it up easily and say that it makes for a more well versed dj. I dont see it that way personally. Not being able to ride the pitch or nudge turntables and such dont necessarily make you a better dj because they arent "crutches" to djing. I more so made my statement based on the CDJ side of things (as ive never had turntables in my setup) and in my opinion, having a .1% pitch resolution vs. .01% makes a large difference in how well you can hone in your skills, not necessarily a crutch for djing.

I presume I just see things differently than some other people here. Id just like to reiterate im not suggesting spending tons of money, just suggesting saving for good gear pays off in the end.

Ritskess
02-15-2012, 09:58 AM
If you are wanting to dj that will be your first mix.

How do you mean?

Hausgeist
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
How do you mean?

If you are DJing, you will be blending multiple songs (aka tracks) to create a mix. If you are producing, you will be creating an original song (aka a track). Get it? :school:

NickyNines
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
If you wanna be a club dj with various genres I would recommend getting yourself a couple turntables, a two channel mixer and serato sl1 or greater.

Also, save some money because DJ equipment is not cheap for the most part and you get what you pay for. I'm not saying you need the best setup, but you need something that will replicate what is going to be in the club at least.

Lost Connection
02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
If you wanna be a club dj with various genres I would recommend getting yourself a couple turntables, a two channel mixer and serato sl1 or greater.

Also, save some money because DJ equipment is not cheap for the most part and you get what you pay for. I'm not saying you need the best setup, but you need something that will replicate what is going to be in the club at least.

You replicate club setups with mixer and cd players. Most of the time there are no turntables available, and cd players are everywhere. And if you just start off, you will not get club gigs immidiately and therefore you will have time to practice a lot with the cheaper gear, like controller.

You don't need fancy ass equipment when you start off, just be prepared to practice and then upgrade your kit later.

Ritskess
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Okay, but where can I find the best tutorials?

Wakka
02-17-2012, 09:41 PM
how serious are you going to be taking DJing? honestly all these cheap controllers arent going to last you very long, and if you are serious about it... i think its better to just save up and get something you wont grow out of quickly.

NickyNines
02-18-2012, 12:11 AM
You replicate club setups with mixer and cd players. Most of the time there are no turntables available, and cd players are everywhere. And if you just start off, you will not get club gigs immidiately and therefore you will have time to practice a lot with the cheaper gear, like controller.

You don't need fancy ass equipment when you start off, just be prepared to practice and then upgrade your kit later.

Most bars/ small clubs always have technics and an sl of some kind. Here and there there are cdjs but more pften than not there is always tables by me. Especially for multi genre places where dj are liable to juggle.

RINIFLeX
02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Honestly, I would check out the XPonent by M-Audio/Avid. It has much more functionality than the three units you listed. It is going for around $300 American these days. Otherwise if you can do as Rothgery suggested and try out some free software and decide if you like DJ'in and save up for some nice gear.

Wow the Xpo is only $229 these days dang son. : http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Torq-Xponent-Advanced-DJ-Performance-Production-System-105505622-i1320837.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB

Manufacturer product page has good info on it.: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent.html