PDA

View Full Version : CDJ 2000 HID and Traktor Pro 2.5.1, any completely satisfied users?

den1213
08-24-2012, 11:16 AM
I really love the Traktor software, but would like the option of having Pioneer's top CDJ (the 2000), in my set-up. I was waiting to hear about any news on a NEW CDJ compatible with Traktor software, but it looks like that will not happen any time soon. So, I want to order me a pair of the 2000's to use with my Traktor software. I've stated before, I think with the addition of the CDJ's will enhance customer appeal to give me a competitive advantage in my area. I think the CDJ also gives me protection if my software go haywire.

Are there any users of the latest Traktor software 2.5.1 and CDJ and what are your overall thoughts?

MouseAT
08-24-2012, 12:19 PM
There's a good article on djworx.com about the CDJ 2000 integration. It looks pretty good.

I'm using CDJ 400s, and the integration with those has come on leaps and bounds in the latest release. I'd never have considered using Traktor with the CDJs in the old release of Traktor, but with the new version I'm sold. I've just started migrating all my stuff over from SSL, and expect to be running Traktor exclusively with the CDJ 400s as soon as I get all my music sorted out.

djmickyk
08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0cAIdYDZO8&feature=player_embedded#! :)

den1213
08-24-2012, 05:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0cAIdYDZO8&feature=player_embedded#! :)

Yeah, djmickyk, I saw that video the other day, but I'm sure the Traktor Hype machine on the new software update is a bit bias, so I kinda wanted to know if anybody on this site uses the new combination of Traktor 2.5.1, and CDJ hookup.

MouseAT
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
One thing I would suggest is to stick the demo/full version of Traktor on a laptop, and see if you can hook it up to a demo CDJ at your local store before you spend more money. If some of the CDJ implementation doesn't work properly, NI seem to think that fixing the bugs are beneath them. I discovered a bug with the stutter cue on the CDJ 400, and filed a bug report:

I'm really liking the new, improved CDJ implementation in Traktor 2.5.1 - great
work! However, I've found a little issue that's been overlooked.

When I turn off Vinyl mode on the CDJ 400 to use CDJ-style stutter cueing, when
the track is paused the software plays a short loop as intended. When I hit the
CUE button on the CDJ, a CUE point is set at the end of the looped sample as
intended.

However, if I'm trying to set a CUE point near the very start of the track, I
can't use CDJ mode to set a CUE point just a couple of frames into an audio file.
I can rewind the track so that the start of the looped stutter is right against
the start of the track, but I can't move the start of the stutter back past the
start of the audio file. This means that the end of the stutter (where the CUE
point will be set) will always be too far into the file.

For example, let's say that the length of the CDJ stutter is 200ms (just to
demonstrate the point, I'm not sure how long it is in practice) and that I'm
trying to set a CUE point at the start of a track in which the audio starts 100ms
after the start of the file. I start the track playing, hit pause, the audio
starts to stutter. I use the jog wheel to move the audio back. I can't move the
start of the stutter back past 0ms, which means that I can't move the end of the
stutter (where the CUE point will be set) any earlier than 200ms into the track.
This means I end up with a CUE point that's set too late into the track.

Unless there's something I'm missing, you'd need to enable us to move the audio
back past the start of the track slightly in order to allow us to set CUE points
at 0 when CUEing this way.

Simple enough - looks like something they just didn't think of, right. No big deal, hopefully they can tweak the code slightly in future releases so that you can go back slightly beyond the start of the track to set the cue point where you want it. No hurry, no big deal.

Yeah, right.

this has to do only with the fact hown much silence you have a the start of a track.

If 'silence' > 'CDJ stutter range' (e.g. 200ms) then it will work fine, as there
is enough 'room' for the whole stutter range

If 'silence' < 'CDJ stutter range' (e.g. 200ms) then it will NOT work, as there is
NOT enough 'room' for the whole stutter range

This can easily be fixed by taking care that you tracks contain enough silence at
the start.

For some files you may indeed have to add some silence manually using any
audio-editor. I personally would just switch off stutter mode, but of course its
you decision which way to go - if you like stutter mode, then adding silence seems
you best option.
So "it doesn't work properly, we can't be bothered fixing it, so live with it. Edit thousands of audio files by hand if it bugs you, and make sure you edit all the new tracks you get every month too."

Moral of the story - be SURE that everything works perfectly before committing to running CDJs with Traktor. If it's not right now, it probably won't be right any time soon.

DJNR
08-30-2012, 11:13 PM
I just got a pair of CDJ 2000s and I am using it with the HID integration and I LOVE it. It's really intuitive, very easy to setup, and works seamlessly with the CDJ 2000.

I am completely satisfied with the latest HID release.

iammongo
08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm a little bit lower class with the CDJ-900's :lol: but so far the HID integration for me is less than stellar.

I've had my software crash a couple of times, and the 900 seems to be a folder behind when scrolling.....i'll assume that it some kind of driver or firewall issue that i just haven't figured out.
I was really pumped to have HID for my last gig but was too scared and just went with the control discs.

Ryan Ruel
09-05-2012, 07:20 AM
It works well, however I had Traktor crash for the very first time in years using the latest version. I hope stability is addressed.

DJNR
09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
It works well, however I had Traktor crash for the very first time in years using the latest version. I hope stability is addressed.

I haven't had any crashes using HID on 2.5.1 Lion OSX. I play about two hours a day.

Ryan Ruel
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I haven't had any crashes using HID on 2.5.1 Lion OSX. I play about two hours a day.

Same. It still crashed. My laptop for DJ'ing is only used for DJ'ing.

DJNR
09-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Odd, so is mine. I wonder why yours crashed.

ParisCreative
09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Another comment for Traktor instability. In my S2/TP 2.5.1 the CPU pegs way high when hooking up the controller. Not sure if it would do the same with an Audio 6/8 and CDJ's hooked up.

DJ ArmanB
09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
I actually was pretty disappointed with the Advance HID on traktor pro.. It was laggy with my cdj-900.. I still prefer SSL with the cdj-2000/900 its flawless.