PDA

View Full Version : Replace Vertigo with DMX version????

sse
08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Switching to DMX, So I got myself 1 Chuvet Color Rail, 1 Chauvet Circus, & 1 Chauvet Cubix.

Not really a fan of the CUBIX, no DMX sound activated mode, the center f/x of it is a bit to be desired when compared to what the Circus can do.

So I do have a analog ADJ Vertigo, but I am wanting a DMX replacement for it. From what I have been looking at there isn't anything similar to the Vertigo that has a SOUND mode in the DMX settings. Unless I am missing something.

Any suggestions for a Vertigo replacement?

Also looking for a "mirror ball" DMX fixture, any suggestions?

BTW doing first wedding Saturday night with the new DMX stuff.

cooper
08-23-2012, 04:32 PM
I just did my first wedding with DMX this past Saturday. I have a similar setup, and used to use a Vertigo LED before purchasing a Chauvet Radius. I love that light, and it's so much better than the Vertigo, however I'm having DMX issues which you can read about here (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?12372-DMX-Help-Please!).

I checked out the Chauvet mushroom effects (Mushroom, Kinta X, Double Derby) and their DMX functions are all the same - no sound active w/ DMX. Kind of a bummer. Don't know what else to suggest.

This wedding was the first time using the Chauvet Hemisphere 5 (http://www.chauvetlighting.com/hemisphere-5.html) as a mirror ball effect, and I LOVE it. I switched between slow rotate using white light during slow dances, and sound active with all the colours for upbeat songs. Worked like a charm. You might find you don't need another light in addition to this one. Your Colorrail + Circus + Hemisphere would most likely suffice.

Synaxis
08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Chauvet has DMX capable mushroom, although it only has three colors, and limited DMX functions.

There really is no DMX replacement for the Vertigo.

Many of these lower priced lights (<$150)are not DMX compatible for the simple reason that adding that functionality would add costs to the fixture, and the fixture would no longer be within the intended price range, which would not cater to that particular market.

Plus, must people purchasing these lower cost lights don't use DMX, so therefore, no need to have it.

djscrizzle
08-25-2012, 07:44 PM
If you need DMX to just turn on and off only, a relay pack would be what you need.
NO dimming unless the light bulb(s) and motors are on a separate cord and there's a straight thru connection to the light's socket.

blasterman
08-26-2012, 10:44 PM
ADJ Quad Phase DMX would be in the same ball park as a Vertigo. However, *none* of the newer LED fixtures in the sub $200 category look a thing like their halogen replacements. The older lights were quite a bit brighter, but because the bulbs were much larger the beams weren't as crisp nor are the colors as good as LED. Then there's the power issue....

I still have my 300watt based Vertigos and Double Derby's, and they still work. The power suckage is annoying though, and the yellow halogen bulbs just don't mesh right with LED gear. I otherwise fire most of my stuff like above and use 12volt relays. As a suggestion, don't get too many lower powered effects because they just aren't that different. After trying a lot of them out I ended up liking either the LED disco balls, or preferably lights like the Dekker. The more open the light is and the more facets it has the brighter it is and the more flexibility you have. The Double Derby / Decker type lights don't look as cool in the videos, but what they don't show is the large face really, really looks far better on a truss because it's so bright....that is...if you want draw attention to your truss. My .02$

Dave Daschofsky
08-29-2012, 08:45 AM
How's the color mixing on the hemisphere? I've got the spherion and when the dots are on something two feet away it looks fine but after that the red green and blue dots are pretty distinct.

Synaxis
08-29-2012, 10:44 AM
How's the color mixing on the hemisphere? I've got the spherion and when the dots are on something two feet away it looks fine but after that the red green and blue dots are pretty distinct.

That is typical of Tri Color LEDs simply because you can't have multiple LEDs occupying the exact same space, and they are magnified by the optics.

The Hemisphere 5 DOES NOT color mix. It has 5 different LEDs, RGBAW, so you only get those 5 colors.