PDA

View Full Version : Digital setup

Nigelshaw
08-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Having ventured from vinyl to cdj, I want to get a setup that allows me to use my laptop music and then the cdj's to control along with my mixer. I don't want to use a small Mickey mouse midi controller.

What do I need to allow this?

I have 2 Denon DN S3500 and a Kam mixer

Cheers

N

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Nicadraus
08-22-2012, 11:52 PM
You need a DVS (Digital Vinyl System). Look into Traktor Scratch Pro or Serato Scratch Live. Those are the two industry standards for DVS.

DJ Highline
08-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Yea the easiest way to do that would be to go with a DVS system like Traktor Scratch or Serato Scratch Live. This would allow you to continue to use your S3500s via timecode CDs. The one problem that you will have in this senario is that you will lose a good majority of the features of the player like looping. You will be limited to playback controls like cue, play, pitch. If you want tighter integration, then you are going to have to upgrade your decks.

If you want a large format deck and don't mind giving up the CD drive you can get into Numark V7s for about $500 each. If you still want the CD option then you are looking at $700 - 900 for either Denon S3700, S2900, Pioneer CDJ-850, Gemini CDJ-700.

Nigelshaw
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi

Thanks. I am thinking of upgrading to the new demons but if I do that, I don't think I would need tracktor or serato. On the denon site it a video of them using engine. The decks are plugged straight to mixer and then linked via ethernet to a router. Your laptop or even ipad is connected to the router and you're away. You can even browse your music and see the selection on screen via the deck. Proper :)

That's where in aiming lol

Cheers
Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

KLH
08-23-2012, 05:51 PM
That's where in aiming lol
Pioneer's have Rekordbox and Denon's now have Engine. It's the same thing - a bid to bypass the need to use computers as a performance tool.

Doing so is popular for club djs.

-KLH