PDA

View Full Version : Help wit a decision - turntable & mixer or controller?

Dror Rahamim
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
First, I'm new here as I sure you've all noticed so hi :)
Second, I am from Israel and I serve in the army at the moment so greetings from Jerusalem!

And let's get back to the subject.*
Well, I'm kinda into the dubstep "scene", and I always wanted to make my own music, especially dubstep and psytrance.

So I checked out some turntables for me to start with (yes, I know turntables & mixers & controllers ment to be only for d'jing and not for creating my own music), and I found the pioneer cdj 100 & general mixer.*
Also a friend of me recommend on that set.*

Now here Is my dilemma:*
I saw a lot of reviews in YouTube and read on the net about a lot of turntables & mixers & controllers, and I came up with a decision about the VCI vestex 300 MKii and I think this is the best for me to start with.

Now here are my questions:
A. I need to clear my head, what are the difference between turntables & mixer and controller? (as mentioned above)

B. what is most preferred to start with?*

C. If I want to create my own music, I need only a MPC?*

D. Can I connect both of the sets (as mention above) to a regular laptop? Or I need special laptop? And can I use it with regular speakers? (5.1)*

E. can you suggest something better than this? I will love to hear new opinion.*

Remember, I want to mix 90% dubstep.*

Thanks a lot for the help, it means a lot to me and I will really appreciate that.*

Cdj 100:*
http://www.ha-kol.co.il/images/cdj100.jpg

VCI 300 (controller):
http://www.vestax.com/v/products/imgdata/image/ci/vci300mk2/300mk2_45_L.jpg

AND AGAIN, THANKS ALOT!!!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.648200,35.122963[/QUOTE]

dskreet
02-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome!
I'm a Turntable person my self. But I understand the need for controllers.
Have you ever tried mixing? Via Turntables, CDJ's or controllers?
If you have not, I would recommend you try them out and see what feels better to you, try to find a store that has them out for you to play with.
I have tried CDJ's and do not like the feel of it, I need the feed back of the turntable. So make sure you like the feel of the equipment you are getting into.

Controllers are the cheaper to start out with, and might be worth a try if you have never tried mixing. Better to spend a few Hundred and find out it's not for you, than loosing a few thousand.

As far the the CDJ's and controllers I'll let some one with experience answer which ones are better.

As far as computers go, just make sure the laptop meets the minimum requirements for the controller software. But most computers now-a-days are above the min specs, heck, I use a Dell Mini Netbook for recording and Serato with out a hitch.

For Producing that is an entirely different situation, Laptops need to be a bit beefier, USB 3.0/ Firewire, come into play depending on soundcard choice. If you have the Budget get a GOOD laptop that will be easy to expand if need be.

Dror Rahamim
02-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Welcome!
I'm a Turntable person my self. But I understand the need for controllers.
Have you ever tried mixing? Via Turntables, CDJ's or controllers?
If you have not, I would recommend you try them out and see what feels better to you, try to find a store that has them out for you to play with.
I have tried CDJ's and do not like the feel of it, I need the feed back of the turntable. So make sure you like the feel of the equipment you are getting into.

Controllers are the cheaper to start out with, and might be worth a try if you have never tried mixing. Better to spend a few Hundred and find out it's not for you, than loosing a few thousand.

As far the the CDJ's and controllers I'll let some one with experience answer which ones are better.

As far as computers go, just make sure the laptop meets the minimum requirements for the controller software. But most computers now-a-days are above the min specs, heck, I use a Dell Mini Netbook for recording and Serato with out a hitch.

For Producing that is an entirely different situation, Laptops need to be a bit beefier, USB 3.0/ Firewire, come into play depending on soundcard choice. If you have the Budget get a GOOD laptop that will be easy to expand if need be.

Well thanks a lot for the quick answer.
Let's start:
Ive never mix before, maybe some shit with virtual dj not else.
And yes when I think about it, the cdj plays only CD no?
I dont want this.

I think I will go on the vci 300.
I really want it, it looks amazing..

But anyway, thought about vinyl turntables but I don't think Ill handle with this for start I think it is too hard.
So what you say people?
Turntable or controller?

I tent to be on the controller side for some reason...

Dror Rahamim
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Someone?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.648181,35.122973

mr.smashy
02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
It sounds like you have two goals: production and DJing. You might want to look at a controller like the Akai APC40, which comes with Ableton Live APC40 Edition and works with Ableton Live 7 or 8 standalone editions. You can use the APC40 to DJ and produce, and it's very price competitive with the VCI-300.

Check it out here: http://www.turntablelab.com/production_tools/84/212/71425.html

Somedj
02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
To be honest, I think you should decide to go with one or the other. Either production, or djing, I wouldnt try to learn both at the same time. If you decide to go the dj route, IMHO, a controller setup would be best. It gets your feet wet with not too much of a hit on the pocket book (if thats an issue). You can get a cheapy controller (which these days normally comes with some sort of dvs-esque software) hook it up to your lap top and also hook it up to some sort of PA and away you go. At that point you can start learning to beat match and just get a feel for how to mix and transition and all that, again, without investing too much into it. Also, more than likely, you've got a decent amount of digital music anyway, so you could use all of that to practice with.

If I were just starting out all over again, this is the route Id go.