PDA

View Full Version : in need of Help,with line insert connections.

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
08-22-2012, 12:15 AM
been trying to connect a Rane PE-15 Parametric EQ,to my Rane MP2016a rotary mixer(Effects loop/line insert) for over two weeks,,....I have done extensive research on the web,about hooking up balance, and unbalance connections.tranformer boxes,DI boxes,insert cables,etc.all to no avail.....I'm just not getting it.....the mixer has the standard send/return, 1/4 phone TS(L/R unbalance)connection.http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/discoangelDENNIS/b92fefb6.jpg the Parametric Equalizer, has balance single channel(?) input(TRS,and XLR),and single channel(?) outputs(TRS,and XLR).http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/discoangelDENNIS/bcffddce.jpg here is the confusing description(instructions) of the EQ,from it's manual
1/4"TRS INPUT jack:a differentally active balanced balance,auto unbalanced 1/4" Input connector;tip=positive,ring=negative,and sleeve =chassis ground.For unbalanced operation,use a 2 conductor(mono) plug;connect the tip to the signal line and the sleeve to the ground.If a 3 conductor plug is used for unbalanced operation,be sure to ground the ring.This input parallels the XLR connector.
1/4" TRS OUTPUT jack:This is an active balanced output.the tip is signal positive,the ring is signal negative,and the sleeve is chassis ground.this jack parallels the XLR conductor.For Unbalanced applications,the preferred choice is to use a TRS(tip,ring,sleeve)plug,and leave the ring open.however a TS(mono)plug may be substituted without damage.can anyone can interpret the above for me.lol.I,have already tried using a 1/4"TRS to dual TS cable.that didn't work.and before I run out to buy any boxes, or any more cables.I am in hope ,that someone on this board could be of help.

drzinc
08-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Your biggest problem is that the EQ is a mono piece so even if hooked up properly you will only have the eq work on channel.

Daniel S
08-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Your EQ is a mono EQ, you can only hook it up to either the left or the right channel of your effect send/return. Hooking it up would be very straight forward, from effect send (output) to EQ input, then from EQ output to effect send (input). For stereo operation you would need two of those EQs, or a stereo unit.

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
08-22-2012, 04:26 AM
My eyes have just been opened! the Rane PE-15 is in Mono.why I couldn't see that for myself,is beyond me...Thank you.,drzinc,and Daniel S...+reps..you guys are God sent.....getting a second unit, is the easy part..my only Questions now are,what type of cables? and should I bother getting either a tranformer box,(passive) or a DI box(active)? Thanks again.:tup:

Daniel S
08-22-2012, 06:55 AM
According to the manual the effects send and return on the 2016 are unbalanced, so just use unbalanced T/S jack connectors. Also don't forget to engage the loop with the front panel switch.

EFFECTS LOOP SEND ¼" jacks
SEND Outputs are unbalanced standard ¼" tip-sleeve jacks.
They provide a line level Output for external signal processing or
effects units. If effects are not being used, these outputs may be
used as Auxiliary Outputs.

EFFECTS LOOP RETURN ¼" jacks
RETURN Inputs are unbalanced standard ¼" tip-sleeve jacks.
They provide the Input from external signal processing or effects
units. Switching jacks are used so there is no loss of signal if the
front panel EFFECTS LOOP switch is active with no effects
connected. RETURN Inputs are not appropriate for Auxiliary
Inputs as this signal is only selected when the front panel EFFECTS
LOOP switch is active, at which time Master signal is
derived only by the signal present

Daniel S
08-23-2012, 03:23 AM
As for using a balanced signal or not, in this case the cables would be rather short so it shouldn't matter. Definitely not enough to warrant using any DI boxes, that would only put more stuff in the way that might degrade the sound quality.

What you could consider if you want a totally balanced signal path is how you're going to use the EQ. Putting the EQ in the FX loop will affect the sound sent to all outputs on the mixer, master, booth and record. This makes the loop ideal for Isolators, delay units, etc where you want to affect the sound going to all outputs. Usually for EQing you migth want the monitors EQd differently than the master sound. In these cases it's better to put EQ in line with the output, before the crossover and/or the amp(s). Doing it this way you can maintain a balanced signal for the master output using XLR connectors all the way.

I hope you will find a solution that works well for you. :)

light-o-matic
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Balanced (TRS to TRS) cables are definitely the right choice here. Various unbalanced wirings may very well work, but TRS to TRS is DEFINITELY going to work, so why fuck around? And, do you actually intend to use this to EQ while you are DJing.. track to track? It seems to me that two mono parametric EQ's would be a huge pain in the ass. Unless you are just tweaking your system.

If you have used this kind of EQ before and know that it's exactly what you want, then sure, go for it.
But for general DJ uses, you are prob better off getting the 2016XP expander unit that goes with that mixer.

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
08-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Balanced (TRS to TRS) cables are definitely the right choice here. Various unbalanced wirings may very well work, but TRS to TRS is DEFINITELY going to work, so why fuck around? And, do you actually intend to use this to EQ while you are DJing.. track to track? It seems to me that two mono parametric EQ's would be a huge pain in the ass. Unless you are just tweaking your system.

If you have used this kind of EQ before and know that it's exactly what you want, then sure, go for it.
But for general DJ uses, you are prob better off getting the 2016XP expander unit that goes with that mixer.Light-O-Matic? now,there's a name,I have not heard,on this board,for some time.:D I agree, two Mono EQ's, would be a pain in my ass...so, I decided on a different unit...A, 5/10 band,analog/digital,Mono/Stereo Parametric EQ.the Rane PEQ55 http://rane.com/peq55.html:love: I, can get one reasonably priced, on Ebay....I, already own the 2016XP expander,and it doesn't do the trick for me.it's range is limited,while a Parametric EQ will give me the entire full range,that I want...I'm all about tweaking...my vinyl(none,sound alike),my sound system(flat response),and especially my recordings.:tup:Thanks for the input.