PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a case (questions about coffins)

Jon Rowed
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey guys, sorry to ask so many questions in one post, but after reading through the forum and websites for a few weeks I just couldn't come up with the answers i needed.
I'm planning to buy a coffin and modding it to put audio output, powercon, mic input, and DMX output right on the side of the case for quick setup.
My setup is 2 Numark TT200's, a Vestax VMC-002XL , novation dicers, and Traktor scratch pro

The company in my city only sells Odyssey cases so I'll be getting something from the black label series. The mixer is 10.4 inches wide, does enough padding come with the 12 inch cases to fit a 10 inch mixer?

I already own an Odyssey L-stand. Is a coffin case strong enough to hold the laptop when the stand is clamped onto the back of the case? or should I just get the coffin with the laptop shelf?

On cases without the laptop tray there is a piece of foam attached to the lid that keeps the mixer from bouncing around during transportation. What keeps the mixer in place on the cases with the sliding laptop tray?

For some smaller gigs where I don't need an extra mixer or lighting controller I would like to put the coffin on a stand. Is one of those X stands used for keyboards stable enough to support a coffin? I scratch and most of my gigs have drunken people that tend to nudge the table once or twice a night. I want it to be as stable as possible.

Does anyone have a reason not to put panel mount connectors into a coffin case? I will be using all Neutrik metal d-style connectors with rubber dust covers, heatshrink, and proper Digiflex NK2/6 cabling.

Thanks for the help

Jon

Alpine_Ent
08-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Can see the audio and power plugs here. Also had sivdeo and aux output for monitor on the other side.
http://s12.postimage.org/q89iu1k71/564813_10151560634125595_1811348724_n.jpg

I had everything built in my coffin, and used the odyssey $99 coffin. Just sold it today, going with CDJ 900s instead. and going to make my own coffin with 1U rack space underneath, should be interesting. I just don't understand how some guys want to hook so much stuff up at gigs!!

http://s14.postimage.org/z4cgayi4h/551592_10151841473555595_60068809_n.jpg

This was the most recent one, so i even had dicers usb hub and more all built in. So much room, just have to be very creative!!

http://s9.postimage.org/eaj4bdab3/168275_10151841603735595_1020793190_n.jpg

Jon Rowed
08-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I love how clean it all looks not having to run a bunch of cables over the top of the coffin. Time saving is the biggest thing for me. I ordered the odyssey FZGSBM12WBL coffin (black label, 12 inch mixer, laptop tray) and it should arrive within the next 2 weeks. I ordered all of the Neutrik connectors and raw cabling too, now I've just gotta decide which side i want to put everything on. Any input on that? and any advice or tips for all the soldering, drilling, and heatshrinking?