PDA

View Full Version : Technics 1200 Tonearm Issue -- I Think...

jdtheishman
08-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi guys! Happy Sunday to you all! Quick question about my Tech 12 M3D...

When I'm manipulating the vinyl back and forth (also called scratching hehe) the tonearm is not still. It wiggles side to side depending on the direction I'm moving the record. It doesn't skip, even with real vinyl, but I can really see the tonearm moving. It goes like...I push forward, it goes in...I pull backward, it goes out. It's not loose, its just a quick budge inward or outward in relation to how I move the record. Hopefully I'm describing this clearly. If not, I can post a vid.

Is this normal? I don't want to buy another tonearm if I don't have to. I searched around for how to adjust the bearings, but I kinda don't wanna open that can of worms. Thanks for any help.

djlotus
08-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Absolutely normal. Centrifugal force.

Ocie
08-19-2012, 05:45 PM
should be normal. if it's not skipping even with heavy scratching, you should be good.

antFastic
08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Totally normal but it is friction rather than centrifugal force.

With the record playing forward, the tonearm will have a tendancy to move toward the centre. When the record is playing backward, the tonearm will have a strong tendancy to move outward so if you move the record back and forth, the tonearm will wiggle side to side.

All depending on geometry, a straight under-hung tonearm won't have this issue to such a great extent.

And when scratching you want anti skate set to zero, because anti skate adds outward force.

DTR
08-20-2012, 04:08 AM
It can be caused by too much tracking force / weight. But as the others have said, if there's no problems I'd leave it be.

jdtheishman
08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks everyone! Everytime I see it I'm just thinking...I hope my stylus doesn't break under the force. I can breeeeaathe now...