PDA

View Full Version : If you could improve one area of you game.....

DJ NGAGE
08-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Where would it be?

Mine scratching- I tend to cover up my minimal skills with a lot of FX during live sets.

DJArmani
08-18-2012, 10:45 AM
scratching

DJNR
08-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Scratching also.

g-sep
08-18-2012, 02:41 PM
As of late: track selection. Been having a hard time finding that groove.

Sigma
08-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Motivation.

I used to love DJing (actually doing it myself I mean - I still love it generally speaking) and I'd practice often and for long periods of time. I haven't used my decks for about 4 months now and I pretty much never get the urge to turn them on. This has been going on for a few years and as such, I'm no better than I was in say, 2007. Other DJs I know have come on in leaps and bounds technically speaking, simply because they still have that drive and practice a lot.

If I had my love for DJing back, then everything else would improve over time as I practice.

thehadgi
08-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Spending more time on a mix

Ocie
08-18-2012, 03:00 PM
scratching most def.

DJ NGAGE
08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Motivation.

I used to love DJing (actually doing it myself I mean - I still love it generally speaking) and I'd practice often and for long periods of time. I haven't used my decks for about 4 months now and I pretty much never get the urge to turn them on. This has been going on for a few years and as such, I'm no better than I was in say, 2007. Other DJs I know have come on in leaps and bounds technically speaking, simply because they still have that drive and practice a lot.

If I had my love for DJing back, then everything else would improve over time as I practice.

So what is the cause for your lack of motivation? Just curios...

Sigma
08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
So what is the cause for your lack of motivation? Just curios...
I'm not 100% sure man, but I think it's a few things: -

1. I'm 42, so maybe it's partly an age thing. I have several real life friends that are/were DJs (all hobbyists like me, not well known DJs or anything) and most of them have either given it up or they just DJ occasionally now.

2. The local scene has changed a lot here in the last few years. When I was gigging, I could play music I liked to crowds that were digging it. I'm pretty much stuck in the past when it comes to music now and I know that the sort of stuff I play would no longer go down as well, plus local venues have changed hands, shut down etc.

3. With scratching in particular, I used to practice that loads, but then I hit a plateaux (at a pretty low level compared to the DJs that are around now) where I was no longer noticing any improvement.

For the last few years all I've done is put out a mixtape from time to time, but I always put loads of effort into making fairly complex multitracked studio mixes which has perhaps backed me into a corner as when I make a new mix I want to make it better than the last one (or at least as good) and that's a time consuming and often frustrating process. I'm too much of a perfectionist, when I should just chill out more and perhaps make some more simple live mixes - but even knowing that, I can't change, haha.

DJArmani
08-18-2012, 05:35 PM

I'm too much of a perfectionist, when I should just chill out more and perhaps make some more simple live mixes - but even knowing that, I can't change, haha.

I'm a perfectionist also, but I read somewhere a simple tip to this : leave some dirt in your projects. I realized whenever it's something really tiny I get pissed and try to perfect it and make it worse. That's how I am with mixes I put up on the internet. So I go alont with that saying and I'm way more relaxed and so much better. Now if it's a really bad transition or an awkward cut then of course I'm gonna redo it.

varini.1000
08-18-2012, 09:05 PM
My scratching game is weak

Divercity
08-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Sound Design and Focus.

I procrastinate to much :mad:

dlove
08-20-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm rubbish at pull-ups/rewinds. I shit myself if the MC jumps on with me, as I keep thinking he's gonna shout PUUUULLLLL UPPPPP!

digitalizedeath
08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Scratching has always been a weird thing for me. I'm not very good at it, and lack the time to practice due to a 50+ hour work week. Track selection, because I don't have the time to hunt for new music as much as I used to.

I'm honestly looking into a career change sooner rather than later. Not being able to dedicate the time to my craft is like having an itch you can't scratch. Pun not intended.

TheRabbitMonk
08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
As of late: track selection. Been having a hard time finding that groove.

same, programming i'm useless and just chuck stuff together. if i can master this and buying the right tunes i think i'll be ace.
again its the thing with time, so when i get on my decks i start planning and just enjoy mixing so much i get nothing done.
i have no discipline.

so discipline and programming.

DJ Matt
08-21-2012, 04:15 PM
public speaking

i have always been the kind of DJ who likes to make the music do the talking, i dont like lime light at all.

thats probably ironic for a DJ !

im as dedicated as it gets when it comes to music preparation and also artwork
but speaking on the mic is just an achiles heel at the moment, i just get nervous for some reason

i had to get on the mic a couple of weeks ago to make an announcement and once i started talking i was absolutely fine but still i avoid it now when i can

its an obstacle i need to overcome

sss18734
08-21-2012, 04:52 PM
DMX programming

disparate
08-23-2012, 09:06 AM
I feel like my music selection is never quite good enough, it just makes me buy more records :(

I'm not that good at scratching but that's fine, I've no real ambitions of being a scratch DJ.

The main thing I need to improve is my ability to get gigs though...

Rek_Aviles
08-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Promoting myself. I usually shy away from letting ppl know about any of my gigs, other than the ppl I usually hang otu with. Always had a team or promoter do that for me, so that's something that I need to work on I guess.

mars.shosh1n
08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
I'd really like more blowjobs while spinning.

AYoo
08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Beat juggling. Need to practice more.

Dj_4-$hure
08-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Phrase matching, need to get my transitions tighter.

bnr
08-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Scratching. And i also need to practice for longer periods. After 30 minutes i seem to feel like i've been going at it for 3 hours.

Dj_4-$hure
08-26-2012, 11:24 AM
^^Just keep practicing, after a while 3hrs will feel like 30min.

Hausgeist
08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
My mixing is decent with the exception of track selection, leveling, beat matching, phrasing, eqing, and use of effects and loops. Other than that, I'm fine.

Pmf2000
08-26-2012, 11:51 AM

1. I'm 42, so maybe it's partly an age thing. I have several real life friends that are/were DJs (all hobbyists like me, not well known DJs or anything) and most of them have either given it up or they just DJ occasionally now.

2. The local scene has changed a lot here in the last few years. When I was gigging, I could play music I liked to crowds that were digging it. I'm pretty much stuck in the past when it comes to music now and I know that the sort of stuff I play would no longer go down as well, plus local venues have changed hands, shut down etc.

3. With scratching in particular, I used to practice that loads, but then I hit a plateaux (at a pretty low level compared to the DJs that are around now) where I was no longer noticing any improvement.

For the last few years all I've done is put out a mixtape from time to time, but I always put loads of effort into making fairly complex multitracked studio mixes which has perhaps backed me into a corner as when I make a new mix I want to make it better than the last one (or at least as good) and that's a time consuming and often frustrating process. I'm too much of a perfectionist, when I should just chill out more and perhaps make some more simple live mixes - but even knowing that, I can't change, haha.

I'm 44 and just got back into it two years ago. It's fun but it's a lot of work keeping up with new music, preparing tracks to play, learning and maximizing the use of my gear (I'm always upgrading it seems), and I won't even bring up self promotion.

I will say that I've committed to creating and posting at least one remix a week for the next year. This has forced me to create 'new' content and post whether its perfect or not. It is nice to already see progress as well as getting me to work faster.

Scratching. I started learning this in the beginning of the year. Progress is very slow but I keep at it.

I appreciate the post. You're not alone:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DJWhoQE
08-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I would say "scratching," too, but...

To be honest, I'm going to have to go with beatmatching. I'm still not fast enough (for my tastes) when I don't have a waveform in front of me. Sure, I can still do it, but it takes a bit longer.

TheRabbitMonk
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
loving the idea of posting one mix a week by pmf2000. i'm going to steal that idea i think:love:

M!TCH
08-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Juggling three CDJs and not completely sucking at it.

djransom
08-27-2012, 07:53 AM
scratching

Same here. Need to get more practice time in, but with work and school plus family and gigs it makes it hard.

Austin GoGreen
08-27-2012, 08:08 AM
club scratches

Dave Daschofsky
09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Recording my sets, I always forget.

jdtheishman
09-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I would have to say advanced scratching. Although beginner scratches can sound good when used right and with the beat. It just something about the way the new scratches sound, all crisp and clean when done right. Been practicing my juggles as well. Another thing I find myself having issues with is scratching and juggling in the same instance. Like, my brain keeps telling me to continue the juggle motion and my hand wants to click the fader faster lol I know it sounds crazy. All in all, the more I practice, the better I feel and the more confident I become. That's the most important thing to me.

syks
09-07-2012, 03:30 AM
defo my scratching..im rubbish lol

Dj_4-$hure
09-07-2012, 05:17 PM
It's pretty cool that a so many of you are into scratching.:tup:

SnaSty
09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Nice job with the goal-setting Pmf2000. A remix a week, I like it. Awesome discipline

djromanj
09-14-2012, 06:16 AM
If I can improved one aspect it is definitely my scratching. I'm still beginner and I want to be atleast to be intermediate to perform outside the club. Scratching is like a magic show, when you peform a trick you want it to be flawless.

dj daywalker
09-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I would improve my laidback lukeness

DJ Retro Blaze
09-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Maximizing the functionality of my equipment and software.

Dj_4-$hure
09-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Maximizing the functionality of my equipment and software.

QFT! I'm with you on that.

DJhalf
10-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Juggling

djslik
10-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Scratching and juggling for me. Even though I've been practicing for years I still want to get better.

DJ Nada
10-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I have several things on my To Improve list

1. Mixing together completely opposite genres of music. I do this now, but not nearly enough as I'd like to.

2. Mixing in and out faster. I would like to be able to go beast mode and mix a new track every 45 seconds, but my skills aren't quite there yet.

3. Actually doing the tricks I practice at home during my gigs. I have a few scratch, mashup, and cue point tricks down, but I'm scared to try them live.

4. Mic work. I don't like DJ's that talk on the mic a lot, but I literally never ever say a single word during my gigs. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, but hyping the crowd is a good skill to have.

CC Ricers
10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Scratching. Thought that's difficult to do with the CDJ 400's small platters and a mixer with no x-fader adjust.. just making do with faderless scratching for now.

Organizing my music. Since starting to DJ again and going fully digital, it's been cumbersome to just scroll through my large collection of DnB and dubstep. I could not order my music in an arbitrary fashion like I do with records, so I really gotta keep my playlists up to date.

The Blackest
10-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Scratching definitely. And of course I can always improve on my mixing. 4 deck bizness.

Rome_89
11-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Why have you not been banned yet?

I'd definitely like to learn to scratch properly, which is pretty poor given that all I've ever owned is Technics 1200s and SSL. I can baby scratch, and do some fader movement to make it sound cool, but that's about it.

I can beatmix fine, even without SSL, on CDJs or proper vinyl, and even though I would hardly scratch, it is still one of the easiest ways to win a crowd over. Everyone respects scratching, particularly in recent times as it seems to be a dying art. Even baby scratches win a crowd over!

Don't even get me started on beat juggling...I would love to be able to blow people's minds but I don't think I'll ever get there :( Just don't have the time to put into it!

moyo wilde
11-01-2012, 09:26 AM
to be perfectly honest i want to improve everything. i have gotten better after 6 years, but i still have such a long way to go. but with a full time job and djing 3 to 4 nights a week, and having a relationship there is little time to "work" on things other than smoother blends, reading the crowd, eqing, tighter beat matching on a large system etc. things like getting the most out of the software or scratching or making mixtapes just don't get done.

The Blackest
11-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Why have you not been banned yet?

Eh? :confused:

Grifff
11-01-2012, 11:15 AM
EQing, especially with deep house tracks. Motivation is another key issue for me, I'd like to say I don't have any motivation because of my schedule: 40+ hours of uni a week and then between 9 and 15 hours of working in a shop at the weekend, but even when I was off uni in the summer I had no motivation

Rome_89
11-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Eh? :confused:

There was a spam bot thingy that posted like 5 posts in a row, did it in a few threads...mods must have deleted it already!

djkvg
11-02-2012, 01:43 AM
scratching for sure. I got my baby's, chirps, 1 click flares, fowards, drags, and crabs down. trying to move onto 2 click flares and more advance scratches. One that i am working on right now is the tear drop.... its really hard for me for some reason...

AdrianR
11-02-2012, 03:13 AM
yep, turntablism with out a doubt.

LiquidFusion
11-04-2012, 04:30 AM
I would definitely like to be able to read a crowd a little bit better. During a set on Halloween, it seemed like by one song the dance floor would clear (I'm great at that), then the next song would get everyone back out. Generally I need improvement everywhere, but this is where I would spend the most time for now.