PDA

View Full Version : Be careful when buying Chinese knock offs...

Sween
08-17-2012, 07:45 AM
So I discovered something quirky about the knock off "pucks" I bought from a Chinese importer...

I think some of the DMX input and outputs are wired BACKWARDS...

When the fixtures are in the middle of a DMX chain it does not make a difference... The signal still goes in and out. This is why I hadn't discovered the issue.

I discovered the issue when you put them in master/slave... The wrong fixtures on the wrong end of the chain want to be the master... and it gets all screwed up.

How do you trouble shoot this one?

DigitalArtDJs
08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
So I discovered something quirky about the knock off "pucks" I bought from a Chinese importer...

I think some of the DMX input and outputs are wired BACKWARDS...

When the fixtures are in the middle of a DMX chain it does not make a difference... The signal still goes in and out. This is why I hadn't discovered the issue.

I discovered the issue when you put them in master/slave... The wrong fixtures on the wrong end of the chain want to be the master... and it gets all screwed up.

How do you trouble shoot this one?

I believe I have the same pucks as you Sween - but I have not experienced what you are. What is happening and what mode is the slave light in (i.e. color fade, sound active, etc) vs the light set as master? I realize it shouldn't matter (because it's the slave), but want to see if I can replicate what you are seeing with my pucks to see if its the lights or a setting.

Sween
08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Basically when I plug these lights in a master slave, say 4 in a row (which I use behind my facade)... no matter what order I hook them up in, they all keep fighting each other to be the master...

A few of them will say "slave" even when a wire is hooked to the OUTPUT, but none to the INPUT!

I'm sure I could fix it with a soldering iron but I need to figure out exactly the problem first.

DigitalArtDJs
08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Ok - just so I am clear - in your example, you would have 4 pucks all connected via DMX in/out - your first light is set to master and color change (for example) and ALL downstream pucks are set to slave and you are seeing downstream lights not following the master? (1 Master - all others slave)

Synaxis
08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Don't pucks have the capability to set which ever ones you want to be masters and slaves? They "set" themselves?

DigitalArtDJs
08-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Don't pucks have the capability to set which ever ones you want to be masters and slaves? They "set" themselves?

No - you can/must set each one individually to either a master or slave.

Sween - you haven't posted back, but I tested mine and I cannot replicate what you describe. I suspect the lights are not set properly.

Silver Man
08-17-2012, 01:44 PM
No - you can/must set each one individually to either a master or slave.

Sween - you haven't posted back, but I tested mine and I cannot replicate what you describe. I suspect the lights are not set properly.

My pucks will automatically go into sound active mode where the first is master and the rest are slaves if there is no DMX Signal present on the first one. As soon as the DMX Signal is found, they all follow suit and take cues from the DMX. Once DMX is lost, they go into sound active mode with the first being master and the rest slave. They then all do the exact same thing. I do not set a single RGBA Puck.

Sween
08-17-2012, 05:42 PM
You can put the the first one into master/slave and the the others follow suit I think.... I'll post back when i have them plugged in!

DigitalArtDJs
08-17-2012, 06:46 PM
You can put the the first one into master/slave and the the others follow suit I think.... I'll post back when i have them plugged in!

I did a test with mine - don't believe the display - it's misleading when in master/slave. Go into the third menu on the light labeled "slnd" (order = addr, chnd,slnd,shnd,manu,test,Fhr#) and make sure all the lights except the master are in "SLAu" regardless of what is displayed when you connect the DMX cable(s). Note on mine - regardless of master/slave mode, when connecting a DMX cable the second and all downstream lights display "SLAu" for slave - this is misleading.

I was able to connect 4 in a row and while the display would say "SLAu" the light is really still set in "master" mode. I have a hunch that may be what is causing you issues.