PDA

View Full Version : Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune

Friction
02-12-2012, 01:38 AM
New album from Air!

Essentially a rescoring of a newly restored Georges Melies film the album really doesn't sound like a soundtrack but really does sound... Like a soundtrack.

The film was originally filmed in 1901. A color version existed (hand painted) and was lost. Recently rediscovered and painstaking restored, air was apparently inspired to do some music.

Still doing things different is what sets air apart both then and now (not then 1901 mind you, but earlier albums over the past 14 years). Like how the countdown in LaLune doesn't lead into air horns, cymbals or other, rather predictable, musical tricks.

The album needs to be listened to in one sitting. 30minutes start to finish so clear your schedule, watch the film first (available through the download on iTunes) and then listen to LaLune. Air described it as a sexual experience, from foreplay to orgasm. When asked about the length (the French being notoriously (famously?) good lovers) they replied that it was both long and short. there are moments of Air brilliance there and then, there are tracks that grate on my ears to the point where I could not listen to them in the car.

This is air's second trip to the moon, moon safarI being the first, but with Melies as their muse (where are the bloody accents on he iPad ?) this is definitely the opus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlVTnUTC4Eo
WARNING: do not listen to the track above at full volume in the car!

Fusic
02-12-2012, 09:31 AM
I like the description of it. Hopefully it won't be like the Massive Attack soundtrack experiment - Danny The dog - which I paid full price for when it came out and I'm still bitter.

Friction
02-13-2012, 01:15 AM
I got the digital download off iTunes and I don't regret it yet. You can listen to all the tracks for free all over the web, so before shelling out maybe hit up the YouTube page I linked where the rest of the album was a related video.

zaxl
02-28-2012, 09:35 AM
requested from local library :D

i've enjoyed everything they've put out, especially Moon Safari and The Virgin Suicides

Friction
02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
This is closer to the Virgin Suicides OST in terms of concept. Hope you enjoy.

Lionman
02-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Really dug the Virgin Suicides ost. Didn't know about this but will be giving it a listen later. Nice one.

Friction
02-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I definitely recommend giving it a listen.