PDA

View Full Version : A&H Xone:DB2 vs. Denon DX-1600 vs. NI Traktor Kontrol S4

iskrem
08-16-2012, 09:12 AM
So I've been searching the internet for a day or two now for a suitable mixer to replace my broken one. I am looking for something that will last and can hold my hands as I progress and increase my skill level.

I have come to the three following products:

A&H Xone:DB2
+ XLR out
+ Matrix input assignment

Denon DN DX-1600
+ XLR out
+ Matrix input assignment

NI Traktor Kontrol S4
+ Neat little thing with a special designed matching flight case
+ Traktor special edition software included
- No XLR

They all look good, seem to be highly recommended in their "respective environment" and does not surpass ~1,000 € mark.

What got me to consider the Traktor Kontrol was this YouTube video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0VJm0mi7aUc

Can similar be achieved with the other products and does my eyes decieve me when it comes to the jog wheel; can similar function be reproduced in A&H and Denon? Or would I need a A&H Xone:D1 or a DN-S1200? Or maybe I am just overthinking it all and should just decide between DB2 and DX-1600, as PC software will provide my functionality anyway pluss that these two units has a much better sound quality (according to Mr. Google).

I might overestimate the need for XLR outputs too, but I do like having them.

Any suggestions and inputs are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

hoff
08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Having owned both the X1600 and DB2, I can say both are stellar products. The DB2 is in on a whole other level in the effects department, but its also almost double the price. I'd suggest either over the S4 though any day. The feel of a real mixer versus the S4 faders and build isn't even comparable. See my review of the DB2 on the main page/review section here - I specifically talk about differences between the DB2 and X1600.

I use traktor, so on the side I use either 1 kontrol X1 for more mobile gigs, and 2x Denon SC2000 when i have space to sprawl out. The DB2 isn't as smooth in latencies when mixing in external mode with traktor, so I used my Audio 10.

iskrem
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Ah yes, I've read your article and I am moving towards the DB2. But as you say, it is almost double the price. So the question is, besides more FX, what else is there? Does it have better resell value? Brand recognition? Since you recommend both, should I just flip a coin? :)

Thanks for your input!

hoff
08-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I would most definitely not suggest flipping a coin with this kind of purchase! Resell value should be considered, but definitely shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Both brands are reputable. Historically, Allen & Heath has made better mixers, but with the latest generation of Denon mixers I'd have to say reliability is about on par. On the whole, the DB2 feels higher quality, but certain components (like faders) in the Denon are better actually. With that, what you should be looking at are the features and how they cater to your needs. I DJ only EDM, and a lot of techno, minimal and tech house. These genres are prime candidates for the insane selection of high-quality effects the DB2 has. The Denon effects section is on-par with pioneer mixers in terms of selection, but actually sound better than the DJM800/DJM700 effects. I'd say in general, the X1600 is a better general-purpose mixer that will serve all genres, but in EDM, the DB2 is a beast. Also note that a better comparison would be between the DB2 and X1700...

Here are the key unique features of each mixer:

DB2
- 2 effects processors
- 50+ studio quality effects. These will blend into the track and sound like part of the original production if executed well. They will not be as obvious as denon/pio effects.
- Frequency and expression adjustment of effects, on top of the standard dry/wet and time adjustments
- 3.5mm and 1/4 inch headphone jacks
- trimodal EQ, allows you to use the EQ's in filter, full-kill or standard modes
- 2 digital INs and 1 OUT, the X1600 only has digital OUT
- X-link for the A&H K2 controller

X1600
- Amazing LED meters.. legitimately the best on any mixer out there. The DB2 meters will allow you to mix perfectly, but are less clear.
- Great channel faders and amazing cross fader.. probably the nicest feeling faders on any 4 channel mixer out there
- Traktor certified. The DB2 8in/8out soundcard will interface with traktor, but latencies are higher
- 2 mic inputs VS 1 on the DB2
- RCA master OUT and record OUT, the DB2 only has RCA record OUT
- Continuous Fader contour adjustment, the DB2 has set modes

Features present on both:
- fully midi-mappable
- 8in/8out digital soundcard

And last note - look into the Denon SC2000 to control traktor. 1 will give you 2-deck control with a pitch slider and jog wheel. The X1 works well, but the pitch slider is an essential feature sometimes.

iskrem
08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I did consider the X1700 aswell. But comparing to the X1600 it has less features and is more expensive. If you recommend the Denon SC2000, I'm kinda leaning towards the X1600 as I like to choose from the same kind of brands, it is "general-purpose", has Denon only "BeatBrk" FX (call me "brand-sensetive" if you will). Yet the DB2 is still screaming "I WILL OUTLAST NUCLEAR WAR". A&H will also provide more effects in future with firmware updates. God damn decisions.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it!

hoff
08-16-2012, 04:56 PM
The X1700 is about the same as the X1600, except the biggie is it has 2 fx processors instead of 1. The X1600 does have more midi options, but I never used em anyway. If you're brand sensitive, both Denon and A&H are owned by the same company ;)

The X1600/X1700 has a more rugged build. The finish on the DB2 is more prone to scratches. If you take care of your gear, you'll be fine though.

iskrem
08-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Do both have a good loop effect? Say I want to loop a punch beat or something on one channel (without Traktor).

Irrational_Fear
08-17-2012, 04:44 AM
Hoff is probably the one to answer that one having had both mixers, but I can confirm the loop function on the x-1600 is excellent.

I've messed around with it quite a bit on mine, you can chop/expand the sample using the beat adjust buttons, and do all the usual tricks you'd expect. It also has the 'reverse loop' effect too which does pretty much what it says on the tin!

Everything else Hoff mentioned above about the 1600, (particularly the feel/faders etc), is spot on :tup:

iskrem
08-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Thank you for your input. I do lean towards Denon, mostly because of the reasons I stated above aswell as "saving money" (even thou cost is not an issue) and I'm probably years from utilizing the Denon to its fullest (and probably even more years for the DB2).

Another question, does the filter affect channel output meters?

iskrem
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Ok, fuck it, I made a decision.

Initially I was looking for a plain mixer to replace my broken one. I was not looking for any pro functions or whatever, just something simple that had great sound. Looking at the lowend market made me realise I wanted something that would last more than a year or so, and I simply could not find a lowend product that had good reviews where sound quality was specially mentioned.

I increased my price range and looked around but could not find a mixer that was asteticly pleasing. That is untill I found DB2. When looking for other products in this price range I found the Traktor Kontrol S4, Denon X1600 and X1700, Numark NS7FX. All products I find good looking. My initial requirement was good sound and XLR, also after seeing the DB2, matrix input. That rules out the S4.

The Numark look amazing and does seem like a complete "all-in-one" product, but many people relate Numark to a "toy brand" and I found out I don't really like scratching, so why pick an option with two? This leaves Denon X1600 and X1700. I ruled out X1700 simply because of it lack features the X1600 has, and besides 2 FX and other small differences, paying more for a LCD screen is meh. So X1600 and DB2 left. X1600 being cheaper, more components availible (S, SC, etc.), look easier to use (due to less functions, which on my skill level is not necessarly bad), fulfills all other requirements aswell as being highly regarded on the internet. DB2 being more expensive, but has a "cleaner" interface, more "subtle", "studio quality" effects and more functions to dive into (also fulfills all other requirements and highly regarded). I was leaning towards the X1600, but couldn't really drop the DB2, back and forth, decisions, decisions - DB2 became the winner for the following reasons; it is not "mainstream" and kind of unique compared to other brands. I mean, who likes having what others have? Besides, I can afford it now so now is the time for a decision, and if all goes to shit, I could always trade it for a X1600. ;)

Thank you everybody, and wish me luck! :)

hoff
08-17-2012, 12:09 PM
You will not regret your choice, the DB2 is a sexual piece of gear.

I though the same thing about growing into the X1600, but it only took a few months before the effects lost their lustre. I can actually say I don't think I'll ever master everything the DB2 has to offer in the effects department..

iskrem
09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Since I'm still waiting (haven't arrived yet) I have a question, the roller / loop function, does it save the loop as a midi sampler would or does it actually just "echo"? Thanks in advance.