PDA

View Full Version : BehringerEPX4000 vs. Behringer EP4000

unsafe8989
02-12-2012, 12:20 AM
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EPX4000.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP4000.aspx

My Local dealer said that they didn't have the EP4000 in stock:mad:, He recommend the EPX because it provided more power at less weight? Is this this true i only found bench tests on the ep4000 not the EPX4000.:squint:

Manu
02-12-2012, 04:43 AM
it provides less power than stated, all their figures are made up. Avoid.

windspeed36
02-12-2012, 04:43 AM
If i had a gun held to my head and had to choose i'd go the EP4000, i've used both the EP4000 and the EPX2800 and found the EP4000 to be generally better - better build quality and a slightly better sound. Also at 4ohm RMS 2 channels driven the EP4000 does 950w per channel vs 870w for the EPX4000. However i'd be looking at different amps all together: Crown XLS or QSC GX series are both quite good and in a similar budget. What speakers are you looking to power?

Al Poulin
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
QSC GX5. Great solid amp from a company famous for their amplifiers + 6 year warranty!

Al

Al Poulin
02-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Yorkville also has a new value amplifier line called the PX series. The first model, the 1700, can be purchased for around 350$. 2 year ''even if you break it'' transferable warranty.

Al

unsafe8989
02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Thank you. I dont think they sell yorkville in my area.

Al Poulin
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
You may also want to look into Peavey's IPR series of amplifiers. Good performance, terrific price and ULTRA low weight. These amps seriously weigh next to nothing. :)

Al

unsafe8989
02-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Any Bench Tests on the IPR 3000's?

VjQue
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
I have a carvin dmc 2000 its 2000 watts. im in buena park. its only been used 3x I want $300 plus shipping or you can come get it from me. good solid amp pm me and we can talk.

Al Poulin
02-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Any Bench Tests on the IPR 3000's?

QSC, Yorkville and Peavey amps will generally deliver their rated specs. They are not the inflated specs you will find on Technical PRo, Pyramid, Pyle Pro, Seismic Audio etc.. products.

Al

USDJ
02-13-2012, 02:42 AM
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EPX4000.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP4000.aspx

My Local dealer said that they didn't have the EP4000 in stock:mad:, He recommend the EPX because it provided more power at less weight? Is this this true i only found bench tests on the ep4000 not the EPX4000.:squint:

Neither. Save up and buy QSC, Crown, Crest. LOL, I have a pair of Crown Macro-Tech 2402's I've had forever. Buy one of these used over anything Behringer makes. Be thankful the dealer didn't have the stock, he saved you from a bad buying decision.

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Just bought two ipr 3000 for 680 firm new.

Al Poulin
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM

That is a great price on some awesome and LIGHT amplifiers. Let us know how you like them! You should really see a noticeable difference in output compared to your Marathons...

Al

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 04:00 PM
That is a great price on some awesome and LIGHT amplifiers. Let us know how you like them! You should really see a noticeable difference in output compared to your Marathons...

Al

Yes there here in my lap on the way home. HD unboxing video I think yes. I will install them in my Rack soon and Give you Guys my input. Do you know where i can aquire a bridge cable for them or make one.

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/unsafe8989/IMAG0259.jpg

Al Poulin
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Yes there here in my lap on the way home. HD unboxing video I think yes. I will install them in my Rack soon and Give you Guys my input. Do you know where i can aquire a bridge cable for them or make one.

Try running them stereo before attempting to bridge them. Bridging is hard on amplifiers in general (and often speakers too) and will reduce their life expectancy.

Al

Al Poulin
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/unsafe8989/IMAG0259.jpg

Light enough for you? Nice pic !

Al

drzinc
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Rating of wattage aside Behringer makes decent amps. Never heard of anyone having one blow at a gig, and I have seen QSC amps and Crown amps go termal and take out speakers while doing so. Those Peavey light weight amps and the low end GX series are probally made on the same line along with Behringer in a Chana manafacturing plant.

Incognito
02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Rating of wattage aside Behringer makes decent amps. Never heard of anyone having one blow at a gig, and I have seen QSC amps and Crown amps go termal and take out speakers while doing so. Those Peavey light weight amps and the low end GX series are probally made on the same line along with Behringer in a Chana manafacturing plant.
I have seen Crown amps go down (& fry speakers in the process, my poor Tubas...) but in all my years I have never seen a QSC go down (especially not take down speakers in the process) but that's not saying it's not possible since anything man made is subject to failure.

Al Poulin
02-13-2012, 04:17 PM

The Peaveys and QSCs (and Crowns) have a better warranty than Behringer's standard 1 year. I believe a 2 year and 5 year (if you register the product) warranty comes with the Peavey amps. Peavey customer service (and QSC's) has always been much better than Behringer's as well. Given the small difference in price, I don't see any reason to go with Behringer honestly - even though their amplifiers have been more reliable that their other products which are pretty much hit and miss or quite often DOA (why the local dealers in my area who used to sell Behringer gear have stopped completely...)

Al

drzinc
02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
The Peaveys and QSCs (and Crowns) have a better warranty than Behringer's standard 1 year. I believe a 2 year and 5 year (if you register the product) warranty comes with the Peavey amps. Peavey customer service (and QSC's) has always been much better than Behringer's as well. Given the small difference in price, I don't see any reason to go with Behringer honestly - even though their amplifiers have been more reliable that their other products which are pretty much hit and miss or quite often DOA (why the local dealers in my area who used to sell Behringer gear have stopped completely...)

Al

Al times have changed Behringer now has a standard 3 year warrantee on their products.

monomer
02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Let's see - the Behringer is a poor copy of an amp that's already made in china.

I've had my RMX2450 for something like 5 years now, and it's warranty's just run out. I've sold off a couple of Powerlight series ones that I had (for the same price I bought them for) and paid bills, and purchased a IPR1600 for my otops.

Soon I'll be selling the RMX to buy an IPR3000. Then it's time to upgrade the DSP I have now. The lighter-weight the system the better, as it's usually just me setting up.

I've NEVER had a problem with any of my QSC amps, even the 20 years old PL line that I had. You do get what you pay for. It's cheaper in the long run to save now and buy the better, longer-lasting product.

monomer
02-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Al times have changed Behringer now has a standard 3 year warrantee on their products.

GL trying to get it fixed, when it does break.

drzinc
02-13-2012, 05:23 PM
GL trying to get it fixed, when it does break.

Ok a true story.... Bought a Behringer piece of ebay and it was not working (a DCX2496) I wrote Behringer and told them of my problem they said if you can fax over a original bill of sale we will help you. Got the ebay seller to fax over the bill of sale and I fowared it to Behringer. They sent me a sticker for shipping it to them (Here in Canada although it was bought from a guy in the US) and was promptly sent a new unit within a week. If this is bad service i want to know what good service is.....

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Try running them stereo before attempting to bridge them. Bridging is hard on amplifiers in general (and often speakers too) and will reduce their life expectancy.

Al

But if i need the juice how will it wire up?

Al Poulin
02-13-2012, 07:09 PM

They are certainly making efforts to improve their reputation as producers of cheap junk that imitate actual quality products. If they actually provide good service for that 3 years remains to be seen. There are also a good number of exclusions and exceptions in the warranty. Regardless, I have a problem supporting a company that has ripped of so many products from reputable manufacturers. It will likely be a good long time before sound professionals actually start having any respect for Behringer gear...For the moment, Behringer products will remain the cheapest things in music stores that make sound. The quality has improved in certain products, but they need to improve many of their other products and reduce the number of DOA products. Their powered speakers and amplifiers are currently their best products.

Al

Incognito
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
But if i need the juice how will it wire up?

Don't suggest you do it but it's actually easy to do. Since you can simply Google how to do it, here you go. You need a 1/4" jumper cable to jump from channel one to two & to make up a speakon adapter to pick up the + from channel one then the - from channel two. Send a single signal from your source (crossover, mixer, etc.) to channel one (don't send to both channels since it's jumpered already) & match the gains on both channels, there you go. Do this at your own risk, even though there are a number of people who have already did this mod to run their subs. I think you're going to be opening the door to other potential issues by doing this if you're not careful.

BEFORE TRYING THIS, TRY SIMPLY RUNNING IN STEREO & SEE IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH "JUICE" TO POWER YOUR SPEAKERS but since your speakers aren't exactly pro grade I again strongly don't suggest you even consider bridging unless you have cash (& drivers) to burn.

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Don't suggest you do it but it's actually easy to do. Since you can simply Google how to do it, here you go. You need a 1/4" jumper cable to jump from channel one to two & to make up a speakon adapter to pick up the + from channel one then the - from channel two. Send a single signal from your source (crossover, mixer, etc.) to channel one (don't send to both channels since it's jumpered already) & match the gains on both channels, there you go. Do this at your own risk, even though there are a number of people who have already did this mod to run their subs. I think you're going to be opening the door to other potential issues by doing this if you're not careful.

BEFORE TRYING THIS, TRY SIMPLY RUNNING IN STEREO & SEE IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH "JUICE" TO POWER YOUR SPEAKERS but since your speakers aren't exactly pro grade I again strongly don't suggest you even consider bridging unless you have cash (& drivers) to burn.

Thanks Bro on the local freeway about to get home and see whata up :D

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/unsafe8989/20120213_185034.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/unsafe8989/20120213_184318.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/unsafe8989/20120213_184313.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/unsafe8989/20120213_183813.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/unsafe8989/20120213_183822.jpg

Al Poulin
02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't think the IPRs were designed to be run in bridge mode. (it can be done, but probably shouldn't)

Same thing with the QSC GX amps IIRC. In my opinion, this is probably a blessing in disguise. Try them in stereo mode. Doubling your applied power only gets you an additional 3 DBs AT MOST anyway - which is just noticeable. The damage it can do to your speakers would be more noticeable however...

Al

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't think the IPRs were designed to be run in bridge mode. (it can be done, but probably shouldn't)

Same thing with the QSC GX amps IIRC. In my opinion, this is probably a blessing in disguise. Try them in stereo mode. Doubling your applied power only gets you an additional 3 DBs AT MOST anyway - which is just noticeable. The damage it can do to your speakers would be more noticeable however...

Al

Yes I gave it a quick run but its late here so i will wait till tomorrow and set up outside, On banana peel from black and white which is positive ,also it did reach DDT a bit sooner than i had in mind. But money to watt to weight is great!!

Budzak
02-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Congrats on your purchase! Those look very nice. I sure would like a light amp myself =P

For what it's worth, the EP amps were one of those 'rare gems' from Behringer that they actually got right. Are they total knockoffs? Yes. Are they solid amps? Yes.

It was was easier to recommend them when they were called the EP2500, because they actually came close to hitting that mark. For some reason, marketing took over and decided to rebrand them all EP4000. No, they will NOT give you 4000w. But if you just keep in mind that they are actually EP2500s, then performance is as expected. There's a battery of amp tests I could link to that show the Behringer being within claimed spec (The EP2500, that is).

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Congrats on your purchase! Those look very nice. I sure would like a light amp myself =P

For what it's worth, the EP amps were one of those 'rare gems' from Behringer that they actually got right. Are they total knockoffs? Yes. Are they solid amps? Yes.

It was was easier to recommend them when they were called the EP2500, because they actually came close to hitting that mark. For some reason, marketing took over and decided to rebrand them all EP4000. No, they will NOT give you 4000w. But if you just keep in mind that they are actually EP2500s, then performance is as expected. There's a battery of amp tests I could link to that show the Behringer being within claimed spec (The EP2500, that is).

Thanks, I am Happy with my purchase these sexy ,light, and perfectly shaped amps :D <3

monomer
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I love my IPR.

Everything but the lights. Blinding and unneeded.

unsafe8989
02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
I love my IPR.

Everything but the lights. Blinding and unneeded.

The turn On for me ha i have Banana Plugs how would i connect it if its 1/4 and Speakon? And Also If The wires on the banana are black and another white which is positive?

monomer
02-14-2012, 12:39 AM
The turn On for me ha i have Banana Plugs how would i connect it if its 1/4 and Speakon? And Also If The wires on the banana are black and another white which is positive?

Speakons, or make an i/o panel with bananas.

I use speakons for everything (NL4) so I didnt need to change anything, besides how my multi meter hooks up (its now an nl4 also)

White is usually positive, black negative. If it sounds like you have less db, switch'm.

USDJ
02-14-2012, 02:25 AM

Good for you. Much better than your previous idea. Good luck with them. I ran Peavey a long time ago, never had a problem with their older amps.

Paul

Incognito
02-14-2012, 03:13 AM

Goes to show you how solid of a design the original that that this knock off was based on really is in that even a cheaper knock off is still such a solid performer.

Incognito
02-14-2012, 03:15 AM

Time to make that next upgrade to Speakons mate. (this is one area where you're going to want to stay away from the knock offs though)

Al Poulin
02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Yes I gave it a quick run but its late here so i will wait till tomorrow and set up outside, On banana peel from black and white which is positive ,also it did reach DDT a bit sooner than i had in mind. But money to watt to weight is great!!

I have the impression that your subs are probably not very efficient. :( Those amps put out some serious power. When you eventually upgrade your tops and subs, you will certainly see the difference. Maybe take a few pics of how your system is connected. We may be able to help you maximize its potential.

Al

unsafe8989
02-14-2012, 06:00 PM
I have the impression that your subs are probably not very efficient. :( Those amps put out some serious power. When you eventually upgrade your tops and subs, you will certainly see the difference. Maybe take a few pics of how your system is connected. We may be able to help you maximize its potential.

Al

Will do all its a mess but what specificaly my wireing to the speakers i have my gains set to what i think is proper as when my mixer is max the ddt on the amps flicker slightly.

unsafe8989
02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Wheres the Serial #? for registration?
And my review i just put my equipment up all i can say is WOW!!!

Incognito
02-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Will do all its a mess but what specificaly my wireing to the speakers i have my gains set to what i think is proper as when my mixer is max the ddt on the amps flicker slightly.

How's your systems gain structure?

Incognito
02-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Wheres the Serial #? for registration?

Usually found on the rear panel of the amp.

unsafe8989
02-14-2012, 10:27 PM
How's your systems gain structure?

Not set i just got them yesterday

unsafe8989
02-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Usually found on the rear panel of the amp.

Ahh tricky i had to unscrew it from the rack it was under the amp hehe need the warranty.

Incognito
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Ahh tricky i had to unscrew it from the rack it was under the amp hehe need the warranty.

That's a first,never seen it actually under an amp before.

Incognito
02-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Not set i just got them yesterday

Once you get your gain structure set properly you shouldn't have as much (if any) an issue with running out of headroom on your amps.

unsafe8989
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Wheres Al at check the videos?

VjQue
02-17-2012, 12:47 AM
look like 6star dj

unsafe8989
02-17-2012, 01:03 AM
look like 6star dj

It is the homie Juan gave me an offer i could not refuse. Give him a call.

unsafe8989
02-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Look at my IPR 3000 post please