PDA

View Full Version : Q Spot troubles

Sween
08-16-2012, 06:50 AM
So I plugged in my Q Spot 260's last night to work on some programs for this upcoming weekend and one of them is busted...

DMX is getting through.

Tilt and Pan Motors are working.

All cooling fans are working.

LED and dimmer is working.

Gobo motors, prism motor, and focus motor are NOT working. It does not seem to be mechanical. There are (5) individual motors that just don't seem to be responding.

I figure that this is a control or electrical problem...

Is there anyone who has ever had a similar problem? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this thing? Is there separate fuses in there? If yes, where are the fuses?

I'm hoping it is something simple like a fuse or loose harness. HELP! I need this thing for the weekend!

Nick_EventPro
08-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Are the gobo/prism/focus not working at all, or not responding to DMX?

The manual has an exploded view and parts listing, but I can't find a wiring diagram. I'd start lining up a dry rental for the weekend.

Sween
08-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Are the gobo/prism/focus not working at all, or not responding to DMX?

The manual has an exploded view and parts listing, but I can't find a wiring diagram. I'd start lining up a dry rental for the weekend.

DMX is getting to the fixture and other functions such as pan/tilt respond correctly, so I don't think the problem is DMX. It is internal control or electrical... I just find it funny that the BIG motors (pan and tilt) as well as the LED are working fine, but the LITTLE motors are not working. It makes it obvious that they are wired separately within the unit. So I am trying to narrow down the problem to a loose wire or something.

I have the exploded diagram, but was hoping to get my hands on a wiring diagram... I do have a degree in engineering so this is something I can fix hopefully.

I actually think I might substitute some different fixtures for this weekend instead of renting... I really don't have time to be driving all over to pick up rentals.

Sween
08-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Based on my educated guess I'm thinking the root could be the Motor Driver Board (P188-Q260LED)... Nick you sell Chauvet right? Can you order parts too?

LiteTrix
08-16-2012, 10:52 AM
DMX is getting to the fixture and other functions such as pan/tilt respond correctly, so I don't think the problem is DMX. It is internal control or electrical... I just find it funny that the BIG motors (pan and tilt) as well as the LED are working fine, but the LITTLE motors are not working. It makes it obvious that they are wired separately within the unit. So I am trying to narrow down the problem to a loose wire or something.

I have the exploded diagram, but was hoping to get my hands on a wiring diagram... I do have a degree in engineering so this is something I can fix hopefully.

I actually think I might substitute some different fixtures for this weekend instead of renting... I really don't have time to be driving all over to pick up rentals.

The reason for the the BIG motors working and the LITTLE motors not, could be because their on separate PCB boards. Find one of those little motors thats not working and follow the wire back to the board and make sure their all connected. My guess would be that your probably gonna need a new PCB since its very unlikely that every connection for each individual motor came loose.

Also I know you said you didn't think it was a DMX problem but are you sure the one acting faulty is addressed properly? If not, that could explain why you only have control over pan and tilt.

Nick_EventPro
08-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I think you should double check your DMX first. Run the light in sound active, does it change gobos, colors, prism etc? If so, it's probably a DMX issue. I know you use showxpress but is it possible you loaded up the wrong profile? Most fixtures have a normal and extended operating mode ie. normal is 10 channels and extended is 20 channels. (I'm just making up the # of channels)

If you load the "normal" profile and have the fixture set to the "extended" settings (I think Chauvet calls this normal and advanced) it can cause serious problems.

So for example- if gobo, prism, focus etc were controlled by channels 11-20 in "extended mode" and you have the profile in normal mode, you've just lost the ability to control all those attributes.

I'd try that before you go ordering new PCB boards- though if its not a DMX/addressing issue, I'd say the PCB is the next most likely cause. Though it could even be a bad cable (unlikely) but I've seen fixtures respond to only certain channels before with a bad dmx cable.

Sween
08-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm a few steps ahead of you.

Ironically this fixture is addressed 001... and checked it. The DMX address is not out of whack because I do have pan/tilt control on the correct channels. Additionally when I throw it into sound active it turns and spins but the gobos don't change.

I DID trace the wire back (as best as I could... there are LOTS of wires that are harnessed in a bundle so very hard to keep track of them). These small motors all run back to a control board on top in the moving section. The LED has a board in the bottom of the moving section... and there is an X/Y control board in the base. NO detached or loose wires from what I can tell... I am seriously thinking it is that top control board.

What is the harm in swapping it out? As long as I can get my hands on a new one (and it's not ridiculously priced). I'm not a Chauvet "technician" so I doubt they'll sell it to me... I need to find a way to order a new board. PART: Motor Driver Board (P188-Q260LED)

sss18734
08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I think you are right on target with your troubleshooting. It's too bad Chauvet doesn't sell parts to the public like ADJ does.

Sween
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Called customer service and left a message... seems like there is a way to order the part.

trauma11
08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
You can order the part from their chinese supplier if you do a little digging.

Sween
08-17-2012, 11:06 AM
$144 for the board but he agreed to send it to me for free if I emailed him the receipt showing it was less than 2 years old... Bought it from our own Bill at ESC and sent them the receipt. Hopefully that does the trick.

trauma11
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Oh nice, good luck.

CHAUVET DJ
08-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi Sween, if you run into any more issues, please contact us at customercare"at"chauvetlighting"dot"com

Sween
08-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi Sween, if you run into any more issues, please contact us at customercare"at"chauvetlighting"dot"com

Actually I did send an email off a link on the website and NEVER got a response... not until I called.

Well guess what? Got the part today. Swapped it out. Still having the same problem... I was heart broken when it didn't work.

Now what?

Synaxis
08-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Actually I did send an email off a link on the website and NEVER got a response... not until I called.

Well guess what? Got the part today. Swapped it out. Still having the same problem... I was heart broken when it didn't work.

Now what?

Bad power supply that is not sending power to the motors or PC board?? Do you have a multimeter to see where electricity is flowing before it cuts out?

Either that or a bad wire somewhere, although I believe you already mentioned you saw nothing suspicious.

Sween
08-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Bad power supply that is not sending power to the motors or PC board?? Do you have a multimeter to see where electricity is flowing before it cuts out?

Either that or a bad wire somewhere, although I believe you already mentioned you saw nothing suspicious.

The board is getting power because there are 2 LEDs lit on the board... (very possible that they are indicating an error code)

I think the next step is to take it to someone... :( I do NOT want to ship it to someone so they can take two months to repair it.

Stan
08-25-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm having the same problem with 2 of my Q-spot 260's. Please let me know what you find out Sween. stanpruitt at gmail

Synaxis
08-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm having the same problem with 2 of my Q-spot 260's. Please let me know what you find out Sween. stanpruitt at gmail

Some sort of manufacturing defect perhaps?? Few bad units going around?

Do the Q-Spots have fuses by any chance??

Just throwing out ideas, without seeing it I can't really be much help :shrug:

Ryan Ruel
10-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I had a Chavuet light repaired recently, and it was back in one week. I don't know if the Q-Spot would take longer, but mine was quickly fixed.

Ntertainment
10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Sween i've always been treated very well by chauvet. I think it's funny that they needed a receipt since the light hasn't even been around for 2 years!!! Companies do that kind of stuff all the time. Chauvet used to not even ask for receipts but they have been very picky about that kind of thing lately. I have 8 of these units so keep us posted.

Sween
10-13-2012, 07:43 AM
FYI... They fixed it. Took about 2 weeks.

djskor
04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Hi Sween. Seems I'm having the same issue w one of my 260s. Pan tilt dimmer and strobe work through DMX and the rest is stuck. Were you able to find a solution? I'd like to follow your route as to how you resolved the issue. Thanks in advance.

Sween
04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi Sween. Seems I'm having the same issue w one of my 260s. Pan tilt dimmer and strobe work through DMX and the rest is stuck. Were you able to find a solution? I'd like to follow your route as to how you resolved the issue. Thanks in advance.

Contact support. I had to ship my unit to them. They fixed it under warranty but I had to show proof of purchase. Whole process took about 3 weeks and about $40 something for shipping...

It was a bad LED control board I think.

BillESC
04-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Called customer service and left a message... seems like there is a way to order the part.

The actual part number for the PCB is PTF262AQ2100200 and your cost is $ 129 plus shipping. It is in stock.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Sween, I didn't read through the comments but make sure the addressing didn't change. I have a qspot that I have been trying to readdress for a few months. Not sure what happened but all the addresses shifted all over. Try scrolling through each address and seeing if any of the functions change

Sween
04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
FYI... My Qspot's been fixed for months. This thread was resurrected by djskor.

The PCB board I replaced was not the problem, the problem was on the LED control board... even though the LED was functioning (albeit erratically)...

Long story short I wrapped it up and sent it to them and they fixed under warranty... Only thing I paid for was shipping to them in Florida.

fox1972
03-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Hi sween
I am french guy . i live in Nantes in FRANCE .
I have seen your post and i am very interested by yours responses .
I have two chauvet qspot260 . And yesterday , when i wrote my dmx program with my 2 qspot and Sunlite , one of them did the same thing like you :
Pan and tilt ok , .
Led ok
Gobo motors, prism motor, and focus motor are NOT working
I have read that you have changed the Motor Driver Board (P188-Q260LED) But no change ; Then it was not this board .
What have you changed in this qspot ?
What is the led control board . Is it the card which control the light LED 60 W ? If this is it , why the light led is on ?

Help me please .If anyone have a idea .
Sorry for my English .. I try to improve it .