PDA

View Full Version : Shopping For Turntables

PearlWhiteGT
08-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Alright fellas, I've been out of the game for a long time. Use to have some old cheap Numark Tables & Mixer but had to sell them when I moved into a apartment. I now have my own home with a empty room that I want to fill with some toys to keep me busy. How do you guys choose the right turntables the first time around? Already went the cheap way when I was younger & now want some good high torque tables for scathing on vinyl. I know Technics MK5's seem to be one of the best but is there anything else that is just as good or better?

DJVADER
08-16-2012, 03:31 AM
In my opinion I would say MK5 or any other technics are really great for scratching. Do not purchase Gemini PT - 2000, I had them and for awhile I thought I was horrible at beat matching but then I purchased technics. I noticed a huge difference and I was able to beat match and scratch a lot better, but it really depends on you.

Sigma
08-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Non-Technics decks that I would buy: -

Numark TTX (aside from the original first revision)
Vestax PDX-2000 and PDX-3000
Stanton STR8-150 and ST-150 (and similar Super OEM turntables)
Stanton T.120

Those are all what I would consider high end decks. There are others that are decent if you're on a budget, such as Numark TT500s.

Vekked
08-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Isn't the TT500 as good as/arguably better than the TTX? Thought it was basically TTX without the digital stuff.

PearlWhiteGT
08-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Well although I am on a budget, I want to try & get a pair of tables that I will keep for a long time with no regret. Those Vestax PDX-2000 & PDX-3000 have always caught my eye as well as those Stantons. Is a straight tone arm better for scratching?

sss18734
08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Isn't the TT500 as good as/arguably better than the TTX? Thought it was basically TTX without the digital stuff.

Yes. They share the same motor. If you are running timecode, you might as well save about 10 pounds per turntable and go with the TT500. Though the TTX has digital pitch control, which is pretty great if you're using vinyl.

PearlWhiteGT
08-16-2012, 06:30 PM
The price of NumarK TTXUSB are anywhere from $100-$200 cheaper than the Stanton STR8-150. How do the Numark's compare to the Stanton's? Are they worth the extra $$$?

sss18734
08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
The TTX's are great turntables and have tons of torque. I personally think they're kind of ugly... My only qualm with them. But both will suit your needs just as well as a pair of Technics.

Ocie
08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
well, you can never go wrong with techs. i think my MKIIs are nearly as old as i am.

Hausgeist
08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I can't compare against the Stanton decks, because I have never used them, but I own a pair of TTXs and they are great. Honestly, I like using them more than Technics.

PearlWhiteGT
08-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks! For the price it's looking like there hard to beat. Not planning on doing any type of gigging, just for home use & learning as much as I can. The first set of tables & mixer I bought back like 12 years ago was all entry level stuff & sucked.

DJblaze
08-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Non-Technics decks that I would buy: -

Numark TTX (aside from the original first revision)
Vestax PDX-2000 and PDX-3000
Stanton STR8-150 and ST-150 (and similar Super OEM turntables)
Stanton T.120

Those are all what I would consider high end decks. There are others that are decent if you're on a budget, such as Numark TT500s.

This is the way to go! If you want something that's going to last you a long time with more torque than the Technics for scratching and juggling, then listen to Sig... You still can't go wrong with a pair of used or new Techs though... Good Luck and don't buy too cheap because you WILL regret it.

PearlWhiteGT
08-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking really hard about pulling the trigger on a pair of Numark TTXUSB tables. Found them online for $350.00 each. Seems like a good price for a quality set of tables. Would like to get some Stanton SRT8-150's or some Vestax PDX-3000's but considering that this is just going to be a hobby for me the TTX's are looking like the best choice for myself. Plus I still need to shop around for a mixer & everything else that I will need. I'm starting from scratch again.

DJ Retro Blaze
08-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking really hard about pulling the trigger on a pair of Numark TTXUSB tables. Found them online for $350.00 each. Seems like a good price for a quality set of tables. Would like to get some Stanton SRT8-150's or some Vestax PDX-3000's but considering that this is just going to be a hobby for me the TTX's are looking like the best choice for myself. Plus I still need to shop around for a mixer & everything else that I will need. I'm starting from scratch again.

Sounds like a good plan. The Numark TTXUSB decks are a solid option.

PearlWhiteGT
08-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks fellas for all the help!!!

PearlWhiteGT
08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
What are the differences between Numark TTX 1 & TTX USB besides the USB? Might be able to score a used set of the TTX 1's for s decent price. These will be mainly for scratching.

djransom
08-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Just got a pair of TTXs this past week and love them. One minor issue is that my pitch button sticks and acts funky. Can't swap until they get more in stock though.